Is it better to stick with one name brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can change brands without issues.

Interestingly, someone on here maintained a fleet of vehicles for their company, and did a lot of tests with UOAs. They found the one with the best UOAs wasn't dependent on conventional or synthetic, it was about which one stuck with the same brand for a considerable period of time. So there's some circumstantial evidence that it's better to stick with one brand. However, I've never heard of an engine having a problem and the issue being linked to switching oil brands often.

So use whatever oil you want. As mentioned, just make sure it's backed by a reputable company.

Though I question if the engine oil is going to affect the issue you're experiencing. Any thoughts to what you plan on doing next if the engine oil switch doesn't change anything? Any thoughts about doing another drain and fill on the transmission, this time with some Motorcraft?

Originally Posted By: sam369
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did you complain about shift quality? Transmission shifting? What is synthetic motor oil going to do for transmission shifting?

I posted following the guidelines in the sticky. I surely want to find a solution to the shift problem of 6f35, but better engine oil may not be the solution.

I had an 05 Taurus that would seem to shift smoother after an oil change, it was the strangest thing. My only guess was that with the friction reduce in the engine it would then be able to exert more momentum/power to the transmission during the split second gear changes.

Anyone else have any hypothesis?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
My car is 2012 Ford Fusion V6 3.0 FWD. It's mostly used for short distance city driving (5 to 10 minites). It has some harsh shift. I am considering what 5w20 synthetic oil to use for the upcoming oil change.

Some people say just stick with any name brand. However, I have read negative reviews on almost every brand. I think I will use Royal Purple for the next change given the good reviews on Amazon. However, if the negative reviews are real, is it better to switch between brands to avoid cumulative damage?
Put in WM supertech, or AAP costal 10W-30. Change it after 2000 miles. If the transmission still shudders, get it fixed. After 2000 miles, switch to M1 hi-milage 5W-30. Run that with 5000 mile oci's. The engine will outlast the car.

The manual says 5w20. Would you please explain why I should do what you suggested? It can improve transmission performance somehow? If it doesn't, how can I fix it? I think the dealer won't even acknowledge it's a problem.

Originally Posted By: sicko
You can change brands without issues.

Interestingly, someone on here maintained a fleet of vehicles for their company, and did a lot of tests with UOAs. They found the one with the best UOAs wasn't dependent on conventional or synthetic, it was about which one stuck with the same brand for a considerable period of time. So there's some circumstantial evidence that it's better to stick with one brand. However, I've never heard of an engine having a problem and the issue being linked to switching oil brands often.

So use whatever oil you want. As mentioned, just make sure it's backed by a reputable company.

Though I question if the engine oil is going to affect the issue you're experiencing. Any thoughts to what you plan on doing next if the engine oil switch doesn't change anything? Any thoughts about doing another drain and fill on the transmission, this time with some Motorcraft?

I plan to use Castrol Transmax multi-vehicle ATF 06519 to change out the PEAK ATF. I will do three drain-and-refills. I did not figure out how to do that through radiator return line, which can change out more old fluid with less fresh fluid.

The reviews for motorcraft mercon lv are not so good, and redline D6 is not approved by Ford, though people using it with 6f35 reported good results. I think Castrol 06519 is the best choice without causing warranty concerns.

Put in WM supertech, or AAP costal 10W-30. Change it after 2000 miles. If the transmission still shudders, get it fixed. After 2000 miles, switch to M1 hi-milage 5W-30. Run that with 5000 mile oci's. The engine will outlast the car.

The manual says 5w20. Would you please explain why I should do what you suggested? It can improve transmission performance somehow? If it doesn't, how can I fix it? I think the dealer won't even acknowledge it's a problem.

What I posted is good safe advice, if you choose to follow it, your car will be fine. What I posted is also irrelevant. What engine oil you use has no effect on the transmission. All name brand oils are equally good for your car. Oils in todays world are so good that it is largely immaterial what brand and weight you use. Does your car have an oil life monitor? If so, follow it. Use the oil weight recommended in your owners manual. Is you car still under warranty, if so, have the transmission checked by the dealer. If not, take it to a independent shop. Or just live with it. BTW, How many miles on the car? You didn't say.

What I posted is good safe advice, if you choose to follow it, your car will be fine. What I posted is also irrelevant. What engine oil you use has no effect on the transmission. All name brand oils are equally good for your car. Oils in todays world are so good that it is largely immaterial what brand and weight you use. Does your car have an oil life monitor? If so, follow it. Use the oil weight recommended in your owners manual. Is you car still under warranty, if so, have the transmission checked by the dealer. If not, take it to a independent shop. Or just live with it. BTW, How many miles on the car? You didn't say.

The car has about 42k on it. It has smart oil monitoring system, but because I don't drive the car often, the oil is changed only once a year.

The drivetrain should still be under factory warranty, but when I complained about the harsh shift, the dealer just applied an electronic throttle update. Some people said that Ford just wanted to make sure 6f35 transmissions wouldn't fail under factory warranty with minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back