1997 Nissan Hardbody need some opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, my first post here. I have a 1997 Nissan Hardbody pickup with the 2.4 KA24E. I've had it for about 3 years now, and I am the second owner. I bought it when it had about 222,000 miles and now I am at 285,700 with only minor issues. I understand that these trucks are pretty much indestructible, but I still want to find what would be the best engine oil to run in this truck.

When I first got it I used to run just Castrol 5W-30 dino oil. I would change it every 3-3.5k miles. (I had just started getting into working on vehicles.) Fast forward to now, and for the past 25k miles I have been running Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 EP oil filter. I've really had no issues with the oil or anything, however this last oil change I did notice that I was about half a quart low 4,200 miles into this OCI. If the truck also sits overnight always has the clacking noise when I turn it over. I'm wanting to say the noise is caused by a dry-start (which is common for the trucks due to the filter being horizontal). I figured the Mobil 1 oil filter would help solve this, but it seems like I might be wrong. I was thinking about trying Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum 5W-30.. but considering the high mileage on the vehicle and the amount of dry starts should I go with a thicker weight of oil such as 10W-30? I'm planning only going to 6,000 miles maximum per oil change.

TL;DR : Pretty much I want to hear y'alls opinions on Pennzoil Platinum compared to Mobil 1, and also if I should go with a thicker oil or stay with what Nissan recommends which is 5W-30. Thank you all in advance, and I hope that this post isn't a complete train wreck.

I'd stick with the same oil and try a different filter. Maybe the FRAM Ultra? See if the noise goes away.

Did you ever had this startup noise with the Castrol GTX? My brother in law had one of those Nissan mini trucks (maybe a 1990 or late 80s?). Had a 4 cylinder engine that said "Z" something or other on it. It was yellow,manual transmission. Great truck! I always changed the oil on it for him,GTX 10W30 and a Fram Orange Can Of Delight. Engine always purred like a happy kitten! I remember that truck would bark the tires in 1st 2nd 3rd and even 4th gear :^)

10w30 isn't any thicker than 5w30 except at cold startup in low temperatures. You want it to be thinner at startup than thicker in cold weather so 5w30 is perfect for you.

If you believe the clacking might be from the oil filter try a different oil filter, the Fram Ultra would be a great choice. A different oil brand likely won't help you, the truck probably is just getting old and tired.

High mileage oils aren't really necessary unless you have leaks or the truck burns oil, if neither is much of a problem then go ahead with a standard oil.

If it were my truck my choice would be any 5w30 synthetic oil (Mobil, Pennzoil, or Castol) and a Fram Ultra at 7,500 mile OCIs

It has always made this noise for as long as I remember. When I rebuilt the lower half of the engine and replaced the timing chains and guides it went away for about 3,000 miles.. then it started right back up. I figured the filter I was using on it previously did not have a good enough anti-drainback valve.. so I got on here and looked and seen some pretty good reviews on the M1 filter so I went with that. Some people seem to suggest the OEM Nissan oil filter works also, but i've read mixed reviews on that.

I've never bought into the filter causing startup noise phenomenon. I remember my 2nd 3000GT having startup rattle really bad on any kind've synthetic oil,especially during cold weather. I tried every filter under the sun,even a Mitsubishi OEM,and the only thing that stopped the rattle was going back to mineral oil.

The 3000GT I had before that one ran like a dream on Castrol Syntec. Never made ANY rattle or noises. I just figure the noisy one had an engine issue that was accenuated with synthetic oil.

I'd LOVE to have one of those trucks. I think they make perfect daily driver-run around town in vehicles.

Yes, the bottom end was only rebuilt. The lifters, pistons and everything else seemed fine. The top of the pistons were almost spotless considering the age.

I understand that these trucks have some noise which is more than alright by me. This is just my daily driver, and one of my pride and joys so I am doing everything in my power to make sure it lasts. I don't mind the price of most oils, and I can get a discount at work on most oils and especially Fram filters.

Now I personally have never tried the Fram Ultra but the metal reinforcement and nice drain-back valve seems like it would be a good choice. The only Fram I remember using was the High Mileage variant.

I owned that exact same type of pickup before I traded it for my Tacoma. The rattling noise you are hearing is likely the hydraulic timing chain tensioner. It uses oil pressure to tighten the timing chain. If the hydralic actuator is a little sticky, the chain will rattle a little till it warms some. Another problem is it has a plastic chain guide. After a few years, the chain guide gets brittle and crumbles apart. This will cause the same rattle. The only thing to do is inspect the guide and replace it. In fact, if it has not been replaced before, I would replace it soon anyway.

Here is a video explaining the problem.

https://youtu.be/e2Nb2Y8IWjM

Last edited:
I used to have that same engine in my 98 Altima that I had for a few years. I was young and naive and hard on that car. I always used Valvoline 5w-30 or 10w-30 and it still ran like a champ when I sold it. My 2 cents worth of experience.

I'm assuming since I need the thinner oil upon starting the truck up, would Mobil 1 0W-30 be a great alternative? Or would that be overkill on an engine that old?

Mobil 1 High Mileage is a real niche; it's got API SL ZDDP levels with extra seal conditioners and synthetic base oils, it's really good stuff. I would keep using the M1 HM 5w30 and top off with whatever you have laying around if it gets low.

The Mobil 1 HM 10w40 is much thicker, and another option; although it's not going to help the engine wear, just the oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Bussey83
I'm assuming since I need the thinner oil upon starting the truck up, would Mobil 1 0W-30 be a great alternative? Or would that be overkill on an engine that old?
0w30 is pretty much the same as 5w30 unless you get down to -30

My dad bought a 98 Nissan Hardbody. Had it for over 250000 miles. Ran on any dirt cheap oil my dad could find with no issues. Now the truck is owned by my brother in law. THe truck has over 300,000 miles and still runs great. Only issue my dad had was the transmission had to be replaced with under 100000 miles. Other than that, the truck has been great.

Well thank you guys for the help. Still trying to figure all of this stuff out. I'll just stick with the M1 HM, especially considering that it's on rollback at work + my discount I get.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've never bought into the filter causing startup noise phenomenon.

It is a reality if you own a Modular, I've experienced it first-hand on two of them. Just a filter change eliminated the issue. Since the OP has now noted he's tried different filters and it still makes the noise I'm inclined to think it is timing chain tensioner related as another poster noted.

If it is the timing chain tensioner, and I'll bet a kick in the pants it is, you need to get that fixed asap. When the chain rattles around, it makes a bunch of metal shards that ends up in your oil. It could also slip and put your valve timing off. That could cause the valves to hit the piston heads and then your dead in the water.
The best oil in the world won't fix a mechanical problem. You need to get it checked out.

The tensioner, guide, chain, crankshaft sprocket, and o seal + some other things were replaced when my dad and I rebuilt the lower half.

The whole cause of the rebuild was because I figured I blew a head gasket due to water showing up in the oil after a 5 minute drive. Come to find out that some of the chains, especially the factory chains used to have slack in it that would cause the plastic piece at the top to break apart. Pretty much the fixed guide broke apart, and it ate a hole into the front cover and into the coolant jacket right behind the water pump.

Replaced with quality parts? or generic stuff from the local autopart store?

Try the Hyundai filter. It has plenty of flow, lots of media, silicone ADBV.... and it cures the Hyundai knock caused by a couple aftermarket filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back