F1 - 2015 Monaco Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vettel finishing P2. Hammy got hosed on the pit strategy, not a fan of either of the Mercedes drivers but it is nice to see Rosberg doing what he can to steal a win.

What were Hamilton's guys thinking? They for sure get the stupid award. Glad Rosberg won and Verstappen is OK after pile driving his car into the barrier. That kid is going places.

Did anyone see the post race interview with Hamilton? They cut it off on NBC. They advertised "F1 Extra" on NBCSN, but I didn't tape it because I thought NBC would show it after the race, like always. The one post race interview I wanted to see, and the screw it all up with all of their switching. I wish they would show everything to do with F1 on NBCSN, and leave it at that. Instead of all of this back and forth stuff. It's nothing but a PITA when you want to DVR this.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
I think you are right. There is potential for a lot of damage.
I promise not to come on here early and spoil it for anyone this time!

Why are people reading this thread if they don't want the results spoiled for them? If I tape something and haven't watched it yet, I most certainly would not be clicking on a thread that is going to talk about that very subject. So don't feel guilty and think you've spoiled it, as it really is not your fault.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Vettel finishing P2. Hammy got hosed on the pit strategy, not a fan of either of the Mercedes drivers but it is nice to see Rosberg doing what he can to steal a win.

He really didn't do anything at all, the win was completely handed to him on a silver platter. Lewis was 15 full seconds ahead of him and Nico had zero chance of beating him fair and square. It was sad to see Lewis robbed of this most deserved win.

FWIW, I hate this circuit, it's extremely boring to watch F1 cars playing follow the leader. Who thought that making a circuit with zero passing room would be fun for either drivers or spectators? Maybe they need to have all the F1 drivers out there on tiny go karts on this circuit, at least they'd be able to pass each other
smile.gif

It's just a heritage (and money and prestige) thing. As they've said several times, if this had never been a track before, and someone suggested it, it wouldn't pass the approval process.

I don't know what MB was thinking, either. I don't believe in conspiracies, but if I were Lewis, I'd be wondering.

Hamilton shouldered some of the blame for the pitting in post race interviews. I guess after the team initially sent the pit order, they retracted it, telling him to stay out. He countered, saying the tires would cool too much, putting him at a disadvantage for those who did stop for tires, especially if they were on an option tire. Hamilton agreed with the pit order.

Had he finished his stop while the course was under VSC, before the real safety car came out, he'd have been golden.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Had he finished his stop while the course was under VSC, before the real safety car came out, he'd have been golden.

Can anyone explain the difference in rules for the drivers under VSC, as opposed to running under the actual Safety Car? I'm looking for what changed that allowed both Rosberg and Vettel to get past? Were they allowed to drive faster than they would have under the actual Safety Car?

Originally Posted By: billt460

Can anyone explain the difference in rules for the drivers under VSC, as opposed to running under the actual Safety Car? I'm looking for what changed that allowed both Rosberg and Vettel to get past? Were they allowed to drive faster than they would have under the actual Safety Car?

As I understand it, VSC limits the maximum speed for all cars across the entire circuit. Once the actual safety car comes out, competitors can speed up to catch the safety car.

If the actual safety car isn't required, the race will resume under green after the VSC is cleared.

Got it. Thanks. That would make sense because when the safety car was actually deployed, both Rosberg and Vettle would have been able to gas it good and hard, and make up distance they would not have been able to under VSC, depending on where they were on the track in relationship to the Safety Car when it came out. Now I'm wondering if there will be a rule change after this?

It should be the same for both. If they go VSC, the leader should have to slow to somewhat of a "reasonable speed", and everyone else should be allowed to close their respective gaps, just like under the actual Safety Car. While I don't personally care for him, this was a lousy way for Hamilton to get robbed.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Hamilton got hosed.............

I think he was the victim of a bad call he had somewhat of a part in. These things happen in racing. If you're lucky, they don't happen too often.

Hamilton shouldered some of the blame for the pitting in post race interviews. I guess after the team initially sent the pit order, they retracted it, telling him to stay out. He countered, saying the tires would cool too much, putting him at a disadvantage for those who did stop for tires, especially if they were on an option tire. Hamilton agreed with the pit order.

Yep, after hearing that, it sounds like it might have been more of a misunderstanding than anything. Lewis indicated he thought more people were going to be stopping than actually did. He was particularly concerned that Vettel might stop and thought Nico had done so. Then, Mercedes says there's no GPS use on this circuit and they didn't have the gap calculated correctly, either.

The VSC is still fairly new, it seems to be used more in the WEC. They used it in the Silverstone WEC race and once explained it made a lot of sense. They have a modified version of it at the Le Mans Circuit where only part of the course is under VSC due to the massive size of the place.

I felt bad for Hamilton. He deserved the win. He was 19 seconds ahead of Rosberg. You could tell by the way he stopped his car on the cooldown lap and how he hit the #3 sign in Parc Ferme, that he was completely gutted. That was one post-race interview I didn't want to see, figuring that I would hear nothing but whining from a multi-millionaire racing driver. I hope he handled it with the class of a true professional.

That's good of Hamilton. But it is different than what Matchet and Hobbs were saying on NBC-SN during the race. They were laying all the blame on the race engineer, who did sound stressed after they made the stop.

I do have to give Hamilton credit the last couple years. I'm no big fan of his, but he's grown up a lot over the past four years or so. At one time, he was his own worst enemy. At least now, when the luck doesn't go his way, he doesn't act in such a way to make Charlie write a note to himself to punish him in the next race.

What really leaves a bad taste in the mouth is Rosberg's reaction to winning. Someone with a bit of class would have been more contrite, not whooping and celebrating like he'd earnt it. Not only had Hamilton made him look very second-best all weekend long (check out some of the time differentials in P1 and P2) but he had performance in-hand and was just stroking it home.

He may have had some part to play in the pit-stop, but he can only act on the information given him. Every TV-watching fan could see it was a bad call as soon as it was made, based on very limited data. We were right. I hope karma has noted this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back