Anyone dipped your car in plastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this comment from one of the Youtube posters haha:

*Incredible video except for the fact that you never said what it is or why anyone would want to use it. Do you spray it on, rob a bank, and peel it off?*

I haven't tried it, but if I had Jay Leno's money, I would add that to the list of things to do on an old Harley with a Shoveled engine running 0W10.

I heard of it about 3 months ago when Browsing you tube . Whay would some one want to plastidip their car?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love this comment from one of the Youtube posters haha:

*Incredible video except for the fact that you never said what it is or why anyone would want to use it. Do you spray it on, rob a bank, and peel it off?*

LOL

Originally Posted By: CT8
I heard of it about 3 months ago when Browsing you tube . Whay would some one want to plastidip their car?

It's $200 if that to cover an entire car, you can easily replace just a panel of it in a few hours, it protects the actual paint, if done well it looks exactly the same as $7000 satin paint job, anyone can watch a youtube video and do it themselves, it's easy to change, you could remove it in 2 minutes from an entire car if you wanted.

A buddy of mine painted his powder blue Tiburon satin black... the devil is in the details. Prep work is huge. On his car its starting to bubble around the mirrors. So he is going to peel the doors, take off the mirrors and respray

I wouldn't dip my car, but I'll peel yours. Especially if there's a corner already loose. It's like a hangnail - you just gotta pull it.

I bought a car that was plasti dipped and it wasn't put on thick enough. Don't even get me started on what it takes to remove the stuff if not done right. It is coming off flake by flake but it is quite the job. I will say it seems to have held up well in the 2+ years it was on the car that was used as a commuter and got driven many miles. He just wanted a different shade of blue and to cover some peeling clear. I guess it is a matter of what you need it for. It can make a junker look pretty decent for a few bucks.

I consider covering my vehicles in Zimmerit for a unique look. Also prevents magnetic mines from sticking to it. That'll give the homies something to gape at.

Walter White's Aztek in "Breaking Bad" is either vinyl wrapped or plasti dipped... it's not a stock color and it's got a soft, not shiny look. Really bugs me.

Around here people save plasti dip for rims. Looks dumb. I can understand protecting winter rims in the stuff, I guess.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
it's got a soft, not shiny look. Really bugs me.

I really like the flat look on some cars. My corvette has a flat metallic silver first stage that gives the same look as airplane aluminum skin. Just hose it off and go. Very easy to maintain.

My brother seems to have some different color going on each time I see him. Seems to be popular on rims. I think it's a bit silly myself, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back