2015 Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my wife a new 2015 Subaru Outback and while reading through the maintenance intervals, I see that OCI is now listed at 6000 miles with 0-20 synthetic engine oil. I just traded in a 2014 Outback and the OCI listed for it was 7500 miles. On the last oil change I did on the 14 the oil wasn't even close to being done at 7500 miles based on appearance. Why do you think Subaru has shortened the OCI?

I once owned an 07' WRX. It seemed Subaru went back and forth on OCI's. They also stated to use a thicker, unobtanium viscosity's for certain driving conditions. People like to use 5W40 in WRX's and there is a fear of warranty denial by many. But 10W50 is OK.

Originally Posted By: nuffsaid
I just bought my wife a new 2015 Subaru Outback and while reading through the maintenance intervals, I see that OCI is now listed at 6000 miles with 0-20 synthetic engine oil. I just traded in a 2014 Outback and the OCI listed for it was 7500 miles. On the last oil change I did on the 14 the oil wasn't even close to being done at 7500 miles based on appearance. Why do you think Subaru has shortened the OCI?

You are right about it not being close to being done at 7500. Noticed that on my 14 Forester, which they also changed to 6000 for 2015 models. There is speculation that Subaru is being overly cautious on the oil levels since there have been some that seem to use oil over that mileage. Mine does not, and I think those that do make up a very small percentage of sales and seems to be more prevalent in the manual transmission models.

Yup, because of the oil burning issue (it was fixed and shouldn't affect any of the 2015+ vehicles), they shortened the OCI to reduce the chances of people running their engines when it's low on oil. They also started a campaign trying to remind people that they need to periodically check their oil between oil changes.

On an 2015 Outback, you shouldn't have any oil burning issues (though keep checking your oil level more frequently until you're comfortable with it, and then just check it on your regular interval). After your warranty is done, if you wanted to start extending your OCI you could probably get away with it, or you could just stick to the 6k-7.5k range to be safe. Do what you're comfortable with after your warranty is up, but while the vehicle is still covered, do the 6k mile OCI.

Couple things I found in my research were that there are many owners that failed to check the oil, and that the engine in some cases - especially during breakin - consumes some oil. With the 7500 mile interval the level was getting low and resulting in various issues; at one point there was even a class action lawsuit threatened against Subaru.

There was also a mention I found online about some lesser oils shearing down or getting sludgy but that was mostly in the turbo models.

I recently had the use of a '15 Outback with the 2.5 for around 6000 mostly highway miles. It used no oil that I could detect so hopefully that issue has been solved.

Originally Posted By: nuffsaid
On the last oil change I did on the 14 the oil wasn't even close to being done at 7500 miles based on appearance.

36.gif

Does the Outback V6 consume oil? I am thinking about a new Outback but can not decide between the 4 or 6. Nuffsaid, how did you decide? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Does the Outback V6 consume oil? I am thinking about a new Outback but can not decide between the 4 or 6. Nuffsaid, how did you decide? Thanks.

There is no V6, Subarus use horizontal engines, so they have an H-6 engine. The oil consumption issue should have been fixed, it should not affect the 2015 model year vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back