Changing cartridge oil filter - 2011 T&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, new thing for me.

Just bought a Town and Country with the cartridge oil filter, which is located towards the back on the passenger side of the engine... tucked underneath the air intake hose.

When I take the cap off of the chamber that holds the oil filter to change it, will I need to wrap a rag around the chamber? Will oil come out once the cap is opened, and the filter is removed... or does it drain back to the engine once the engine is shut off?

The opening for the chamber is at an angle, which makes me think even more that oil might spill out.

Just a new thing here for me, and trying to figure out what I need to expect.

On my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan, as soon as you loosen the oil filter housing cover enough for it to start sucking air, the oil in the housing will drain down into the sump.

I still place a rag around the area anyway to catch any drips from getting the cap and filter out of there.

The part I hate is the re-install. There's no positive stop to threading the cap back in, and you do not want to over-tighten it. There is an in/lbs spec to the torque (not sure what it is off hand). I snug it by hand with a 3/8" ratchet handle.

Popping the top off the air cleaner housing and swinging it out way and popping the plastic engine cover off gives you lots more working room.

All in all, it's an easy oil change. Lots of oil in a Pentastar.

Agreed with JTK.

Not much drips, but some will unless you are fast, then sometime the haste causes a drip. But it won't just flow after the vacuum has been released. And just remote the air hose, it's too cramped in there with it installed.

I use a torque wrench every time along with a 24MM (iirc) 6 point socket. Per AllDataDIY, the torque spec is 18ft-lbs/25Nm (or 18 * 12 = 216in-lb).

I keep a spare cap in the toolbox because I normally change oil on Sunday's and I need the car to run on a Monday.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
OK, new thing for me.

Just bought a Town and Country with the cartridge oil filter, which is located towards the back on the passenger side of the engine... tucked underneath the air intake hose.

When I take the cap off of the chamber that holds the oil filter to change it, will I need to wrap a rag around the chamber? Will oil come out once the cap is opened, and the filter is removed... or does it drain back to the engine once the engine is shut off?

The opening for the chamber is at an angle, which makes me think even more that oil might spill out.

Just a new thing here for me, and trying to figure out what I need to expect.

I always go ahead and wrap a rag around the housing on the 3.6 in my wife's Grand Cherokee, but I've never spilled a drop. The threads on the cap may be wet with oil below the O-ring, but the chamber is always empty by the time I unscrew the cap.

The cost is not significant for a spare cap. Your local Chrysler dealer probably has them on the shelf.

Mark the filter housing and the base with some paint or mean streak. That way you know how far to tighten on the re-install.

I hate when I have my car in for service and they open the air box, effectively breaking the one-time-use seal on my air filter. Doesn't look like that air box really needs to be opened to do this..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back