Best performing gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So are you guys saying the slight difference I see in performance using the Chevron gas is an anomaly that will disappear with a different load of fuel to the station? It seems like I've noticed this difference in power enough times in direct relation to filling up with Chevron for there to be something to it.

Again, base fuel is a commodity. I'm not sure what you think can account for differences in fuel that can be consistently attributed to the brand name at the gas station. There can certainly be differences in energy content or perhaps minor variations in octane rating, but all these refiners are operating with exchange/delivery agreements and they put it in the same pool of fuel (they call it commingling). If it's going long distances, there's almost certainly going to be commingling. There's also thermal expansion, and that drives the bean counters nuts.

Detergent additives aren't going to do it unless you're talking long run. The chance of the fuel actually coming from a Chevron refinery is small, although some could be mixed in.

If you're living in Arizona, most of your gasoline is probably being piped in from Southern California (probably not the CARB RFG) or West Texas/New Mexico.

Quote:
http://www.azenergy.gov/doclib/energy/az_motor_fuel_and_supply_distribution.pdf

Where does Arizona’s motor fuels come from?
Arizona’s supply of motor fuels comes from two basic sources: 1) Southern California refineries; and 2) New Mexico and West Texas refineries. Gasoline may also be delivered to Southern California ports, for shipment to Arizona, via super tankers or barges from refineries in the Northwest and the East Coast, as well as from countries such as Venezuela, Finland, and Saudi Arabia.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I see tremendous power and mpg gains. Since the makers don't disclose how much ethanol is in the blend we get at the pump: - "May contain up to xx% ethanol" -, perhaps some blend in more or less.

Tremendous? I've never noticed a difference whatsoever.

That's what she said...
wink.gif

Pathetic and questionably tasteful rhetoric aside: Yeah, it makes a difference.

I have gone to certified E0 facilities w/different vehicles ( 3 - 1991 to 2007 mys) and all show better MPG and "feel" better with E0 vs. E15). The difference isn't just "what she said" but the vehicles start throwing codes 50 miles after switching fuels; the computers see it, too. Even with OBDI.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
My 11 mile drive to work is fairly flat with 2 rises and early in the morning I have no traffic to deal with so it can be a good indicator of how my 02 xterra is running. On 2 regional convenience store gasoline products and 76 it will consistently kick down at the same spot (within 50 feet) on both rises. On a Chevron fill up it will pull the first rise without kicking down and get noticeably further up the 2nd rise before kicking down. Cruise set at the same speed, no wind, same load (me), same tire pressure etc. It's obviously making a bit more power in the low 2k rpm range. I haven't tracked the mileage specifically to the brand of gas but will start. Anyone else notice a repeatable change in performance in gas brand?

AZjeff,

I use a combination of Chevron and Arco gas with good results. This is being that Arco now is part of the top tier group it appears to be the cheapest price in my hood. Using both I've noticed no difference in performance. My car runs fine with both.

Shell I will never use cuz right now in my area they want almost $4.50/regular and super is already approaching $5.00/supreme. Why I'll never figure out.

Durango

I've done some reading, and there are some cases where "branded fuel" is specifically segregated for specific customers, and where they are specifically receiving the same fuel or components that were put into the pipe. However, the majority of fuel deliveries are considered "fungible", where the fuel put into the system must meet specifications, and where the end delivery might actually come from an equivalent product from a different source.

Quote:
http://www.colpipe.com/home/about-colonial/frequently-asked-questions

What is the difference between fungible and segregated products?
Fungible products shipped on the Colonial system are generic products. These products meet published Colonial specifications. Shippers will receive equivalent product but may not get back the actual product shipped. Segregated products are branded products or blendstock materials. On segregated shipments shippers receive the same product they injected into the system.

My understanding is that the majority of fuel is generic, but becomes branded when a proprietary additive is mixed at the depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back