Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife said I should try one, so I did. I can see why it's class leading, and honestly if I was in the market for a sub-compact, I'd be hard pressed to go elsewhere. Ok, perhaps I could, I mean I have not driven all of them. But bang for buck, I think it's there, and I could hardly fault someone for not cross shopping. Engine likes to rev, good clutch, good trans, good visibility. Backup camera with different views; don't know if towing is allowed but there is a way to look directly down (wish my truck had that!).

"Magic seats" are a nice touch, although if the floor was truly flat I think that would be a bigger selling point--there are bumps (for car stiffening, don't know) which I think kinda sorta gets in the way. Also, while everyone sells the magic seats as great for families, I'd like to point out one obvious flaw: if you use them, you've run out of people space. I'm a little hard pressed to call this a family car. College kid, single guy/gal, commuter car because the spouse has a mid/full size, etc. With the seats up, trunk space is not bad (it's a sub-compact!) but I guess i'm used to sedans.

On the downside... it's a sub-compact. I thought the ride was a bit harsh, bouncy maybe; it's betrayed by very light steering. Suspension and setup calls for "sporty" yet the steering is over boosted. Highway noise was pronounced. 3,200rpm at 70mph, give or take. Hard to fault a sub-compact for that, and I did test the LX with a six speed manual. Engine was never droning nor buzzy, but it was there--and always.

It's also short geared. If you're new to stick shift's then this is your car. I wound it out to 4k in an intersection and still didn't hit 20mph. I think conservative drivers might object to shifting two-three times to clear an intersection (you know, the sort not interested in winding out to 5 or 6k on a regular basis). I thought perhaps under powered also, winding to 4k didn't help much--but OTOH the car never felt gutless at low rpm either. Again, sub-compact, so, take it as you will.

While the headliner is grey the rest is black. Inoffensive but as I've talked about in other threads, not my cup of tea.

Overall, I could see myself interested in this if I was a suburb dweller.

I have never driven one, but the new Fit is a looker for sure. If I didn't need a truck/van for work, I'd be driving a small car like I did before, and the Fit would be high on my list.

It has a niche, for sure. With that said, its difficult for the Fit and others like it to be in high demand in the current "cheap gas" environment we have.

I am not impressed by the Fit at all. The interior and overall feel just has a subcompact, super cheap and poor quality feel to it. I personally think the Kia Soul is a much better value for the same money.

I have a 2010 Honda Fit AT, and I love it.

Just did a full front brake job on Saturday, and let me tell you: The steel that was used in this car is AMAZING.

It is Japanese made, but for being in the rust belt, all the brake components had almost no rust, and everything went smoothly.

Honda may have it's faults, but I have never seen such rust free hubs on a 5 year old car in my life.

Honda pumps the Fit full of quality where it really matters, and I guess that is why they have such a following in Quebec.

Well, my Fit is a 2010 so it doesn't look nearly as nice as the 2015 model, but it drives like a 4 wheeled motorcycle and I still love it like the day I bought it.

Last night a moving truck pulled on the lawn at an angle and I was worried they'd hit my car.

So I went in, got my keys, and moved it.

I love maintaining it, waxing it, and driving it.

The Honda Fit, in Quebec at least, is fast becoming a "classic Honda".

The 2015 model: They absolutely hit a homerun on the looks... My eye is starting to wander lol.

When I first saw the Honda Fit, I was worried it would become a college girls car.

I would have bought it anyway, but you see a lot of guys drive them.

I guess it's polarizing looks kept it for both sexes as some would call the earlier Fits, up to the 2010, "ugly".

The 2015, OTOH, looks downright sexy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, after all these test drives, where does it leave you?

Somewhere between ground zero and step one.
wink.gif
I mean, I have officially tested what is in my desired range etc; and have a feel for my cars value (zilch). Since I can drive my car until Nov without doing anything (hopefully!), and it will go until mid/late next summer before real work (timing belt, camshaft, probably injectors--I'm estimating $3k), and since I have two perfectly good vehicles at my disposal (albeit one is not a good commuter), I do not feel pressured to a) rashly buy new or nearly new, or b) buy some old clunker. Only when the deal is good.

At the same time I have yet to sit in any new car that screams "buy me". I am not interested in free service, not interested in a free set of tires when the oem wears out, not interested in prepaid service. Not interested in buying new and nice and then being sad when it gets scratched--or worse, drops in value. Really want used and avoid that.

I have learned I don't want black interior! Ok, if its a great deal; but otherwise, give me gray. Also, gimme a simple dashboard please. The Versa might have had the best dash I had seen (albeit black, and even then it was ok); the 12/13 Corolla was good too. The Fit and new Corolla was too busy for me. Backup camera, ok that is nice, and maybe someday I can warm up to a nice big LCD. But I generally drive with the radio off, or listening to classical on NPR. No stupid idiot guages that normalize engine temp; just leave it off if its not accurate.

I did like the mog readout displays, although I could get that from a simple Scanguage install. A simple mpg readout is fine, bar graphs are meh to me. I do like seeing the outdoor temp.

Oh, and reasonable noise at 65-70mph. That pushes into mid size I suspect, no matter what price range--Corolla was really my limit for tolerance, 12/13 the limit, new was better on that front. But the downside to mid is they feel big, so not sure on a good home run there.

Kinda don't want timing belts nor timing chains that wont go the distance either.

Yeah. I'm after some sort of unicorn, that is what I have figured out.

I think VWs are too expensive to own to be a cheap daily driver, they aren't priced low either but they sure do drive nice. I guess the only low priced commuter you haven't driven is a Dodge Dart, but I'm not too sure about them.

What wouldn't have been too bad was that low mileage Cavalier eljefino had for less than $1k.

I suspect I could not drive a Cav for free. I have not but it is worth $$$$ to me to have my sense of hearing when I get to my destination after an hour plus at 70mph.

VW was not cheap, but I am glad to have had it. Sometimes it is nice to live a bit. It was the exact car I wanted at the time, and I was willing to live with its quirks/costs. I think for that reason its $33k purchase+repair was tolerable. I have not quite hit my 10c/m target yet, but for what it was, I think it did ok.

Now that I have done that, watched it rust, get scratched and devalue, I am over the idea of having a car I love. Expensive lesson, but I think I did ok.

Originally Posted By: supton
At the same time I have yet to sit in any new car that screams "buy me". I am not interested in free service, not interested in a free set of tires when the oem wears out, not interested in prepaid service. Not interested in buying new and nice and then being sad when it gets scratched--or worse, drops in value. Really want used and avoid that.

A CPO GTI.
smile.gif

I guess you could look at all the small car comparisons and find the ones that had the lowest dB measured at 70. Then buy some quiet tires for it. C&D measured a Kia Forte at 70dB, and an Accord at 68dB. A real stunner is a 2013 Malibu eco measured at 64dB, and the rest of the midsized in ranging from 68 to 71.
I imagine that's a mistake actually, but here's the link anyways.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013...assat-25-se.pdf

I think I am just going to hold off one more year. Nothing says "buy me" so I am not going to stretch my finances. I was willing to settle for less this year, as a hedge against the unexpected problems with my Jetta, and to better deal with an uptick in business travel; but next year the two loans for my Toyotas go away and I can buy whatever I want. And the Jetta will need lots of expensive repairs then, so it would be well timed.

That said, so far, I have not seen anything new I want. Nothing turns my crank. I would settle for a used Corolla, but my Camry is a better fit; and while stick versions are unicorns (for either) they will be around to come (and coming down in price). No need for me to rush. They will be cheaper next year.
wink.gif

I think I am just going to hold off one more year. Nothing says "buy me" so I am not going to stretch my finances. I was willing to settle for less this year, as a hedge against the unexpected problems with my Jetta, and to better deal with an uptick in business travel; but next year the two loans for my Toyotas go away and I can buy whatever I want. And the Jetta will need lots of expensive repairs then, so it would be well timed.

That said, so far, I have not seen anything new I want. Nothing turns my crank. I would settle for a used Corolla, but my Camry is a better fit; and while stick versions are unicorns (for either) they will be around to come (and coming down in price). No need for me to rush. They will be cheaper next year.
wink.gif

It's very un-American to settle for less, something that you actually need and can afford and it's even worse if you pay it all off in cash.

Last week at a minimum wage protest in LA a large percentage of those in the crowd holding up signs or chanting had smart phones and were taking pictures, lots of pictures. One person that complained about his McDonald's job had what looked like a brand new iPhone and when he left he drove away in a new Ford pickup truck. This is a man living up to the American life style exactly as described in all the advertising and marketing. And he's true to the new America by demanding that the minimum wage be increased without any concession on his part, sort of combining wages for labor with welfare. In the mean time he's driving a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

wink.gif

It's very un-American to settle for less, something that you actually need and can afford and it's even worse if you pay it all off in cash.

Last week at a minimum wage protest in LA a large percentage of those in the crowd holding up signs or chanting had smart phones and were taking pictures, lots of pictures. One person that complained about his McDonald's job had what looked like a brand new iPhone and when he left he drove away in a new Ford pickup truck. This is a man living up to the American life style exactly as described in all the advertising and marketing. And he's true to the new America by demanding that the minimum wage be increased without any concession on his part, sort of combining wages for labor with welfare. In the mean time he's driving a new vehicle.

He probably lived with his parents though...
Also I don't get all the smartphone hate? If you don't buy the latest iphone and get a reasonable plan, it replaces a camera, land phone line, cable, a home computer, and even a TV for some people, for not that much money.

Wandering off topic, but I picked up my smartphone for $90 and still pay the same $7 or whatever per month. Cheapie plan, and obviously I am not wed to the thing. It has its uses as a toy.

Couple more years and it will be like owning a wristwatch, or a TV.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

wink.gif

I need to be more American. BRB - going to finance a new Wrangler Rubicon and Focus ST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back