Is it better to stick with one name brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is 2012 Ford Fusion V6 3.0 FWD. It's mostly used for short distance city driving (5 to 10 minites). It has some harsh shift. I am considering what 5w20 synthetic oil to use for the upcoming oil change.

Some people say just stick with any name brand. However, I have read negative reviews on almost every brand. I think I will use Royal Purple for the next change given the good reviews on Amazon. However, if the negative reviews are real, is it better to switch between brands to avoid cumulative damage?

Negative reviews of major, name brand oils are pedantic and dumb. Any major name brand will meet the spec's and oil related failures are almost nonexistent at this point. Any 0/5W-20 will be fine in your application. I'd try Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE...

Go with whatever namebrand is on sale and in spec.

The only bad oils are the gas station junk that's obviously not backed or made by a reputable company.

Amazon reviews - meh...

Recommended viscosity and API certifications count. Especially under warranty, use something that meets the Ford specification in your owner's manual and isn't on PQIA's advisory list.
Kevin

I always try to stick with one brand.

I figure that if it would happen to start leaking oil after switching brands, then I'd be extremely mad at myself.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
The only bad oils are the gas station junk that's obviously not backed or made by a reputable company.

You mean convenience store oils? Surely you don't think Chevron Supreme is junk do you?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Did you complain about shift quality? Transmission shifting? What is synthetic motor oil going to do for transmission shifting?

I posted following the guidelines in the sticky. I surely want to find a solution to the shift problem of 6f35, but better engine oil may not be the solution.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I would be servicing the transmission if that is the 6sp.

I changed the ATF using Ford approved PEAK multi-vehicle ATF, but it didn't do much. The shift is still kind of emotional, sometimes performs better. I think I can't ask for a new transmission for the car if it is just harsh shift.

Is chevron not a reputable company? I would think it is.

The one that comes to mind is something like "American spirit" or dollar store brand oil.

Autozone, advance, O'Reilly, etc Are good because they are backed by reputable companies.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You mean convenience store oils? Surely you don't think Chevron Supreme is junk do you?

The one that comes to mind is something like "American spirit" or dollar store brand oil.

Autozone, advance, O'Reilly, etc Are good because they are backed by reputable companies.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Unless something has changed in recent years, the military switches brands all the time depending on which vendor wins the supply contract. I believe the military runs their equipment harder than any of us ever will (typically until the wheels literally fall off) and switching has not caused any major issues with their equipment.

To answer your question, you need not be concerned about switching from one brand of oil to another. There are many here on BITOG that selects what oil to put in their crankcase by what is on sale for the best price. They may run Castrol Edge one oil change, Mobil 1 another, Penzoil Platinum another, and Valvoline Synpower another. Yet they share excellent UOA results with us. My personal oil stash is currently made up of Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Castrol GTX, and Castrol Edge. All bought either on sale or with a rebate.

As far as feeling you need to go with Royal Purple, because you have read negative reviews of others. Well, you need not worry. Pick any oil that meets the oil specifications listed in your Owners Manual. I'm not familiar with the 2012 Fusion, but based upon model year, I'm guessing your Owners Manual requires API SN/SM and ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5? You should feel comfortable buying any leading brand oil that meets those specs.

If you prefer RP, then go for it. But you just as well know now that you can find plenty of negative comments about RP oil. (Don't do a search on BITOG for RP unless you have a few hours to spend trying to read it all, and are prepared to read negative comments about RP.

But if you do go with RP, and a couple oil changes from now decide to try M1, then you should feel confident that you can change without worry of harming your engine.

I knew what you meant, but just wanted to point out that "convenience store oils" would have been a better choice of words than "gas station junk."
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sam369
My car is 2012 Ford Fusion V6 3.0 FWD. It's mostly used for short distance city driving (5 to 10 minites). It has some harsh shift. I am considering what 5w20 synthetic oil to use for the upcoming oil change.

Some people say just stick with any name brand. However, I have read negative reviews on almost every brand. I think I will use Royal Purple for the next change given the good reviews on Amazon. However, if the negative reviews are real, is it better to switch between brands to avoid cumulative damage?
Put in WM supertech, or AAP costal 10W-30. Change it after 2000 miles. If the transmission still shudders, get it fixed. After 2000 miles, switch to M1 hi-milage 5W-30. Run that with 5000 mile oci's. The engine will outlast the car.

No, store brand oil is plenty good enough, same with filters. If it says something about Mercon on the bottle, start reading closely. Harsh shifting is rarely engine oil related. Make sure both the engine and the transmission are full of the proper spec oils and be glad that 3 yrs into its life it is still running. It is Ford's way of telling you that it is time to go car shopping again.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I knew what you meant, but just wanted to point out that "convenience store oils" would have been a better choice of words than "gas station junk."
grin2.gif

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say. Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back