Men's fashion (?...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's a very un-bitog topic. I know most of us probably aren't looking like we were dressed by the fashion consultant for GQ magazine. Never been a clothes horse myself. But my situation sort of needs a tweak. I need to get more with the program on clothes if I ever intend to get back into the dating game. If I buy middle age guy clothes, the shirts, sweaters, etc are always too huge in the waist. I've got a 34" waist but wear 46 long in suit jackets. There-in lies the rub. Something that fits in the shoulders is a tent at the waist and if it's compatible with tailoring I usually then pony up for having it taken-in.

So here's it in a nutshell. Clothes in the young men's section fit my build better, but I don't want to look like an old dude (52) trying to dress too far below his age. But also don't want to look like a grandpa either.

Okay, this whole post is very chick-esque. Go easy on me!

Do you have any lady friends who judgement you trust that you can shop with?

"What guys think looks good" isn't the target crowd I assume.

Last edited:
Actually you should get a really nice wardrobe from the young men's dept or from a hip young guy's clothing store. Like they say,clothing makes the man (from a woman's point of view) and women will want someone who's hip and trendy. One of my best friends is a professional model as is his wife (as was I many years ago).

Be sure to get help from a hip/trendy younger woman at the clothing store,that will give you a woman's point of view. Get some skinny fit/slim fit jeans and some slim fit shirts. Looking "young and youthful" is what a woman wants. It shows your healthy,youthful,and care about your appearance. DO NOT wear loose fit stone washed jeans (they'll think you're wearing mom jeans) and a baggy plaid button down with a pocket. And slim fit/skinny fit clothes compliment that kind've build,baggy/loose fitting clothes do the exact opposite.

You're 52? 52 is very young. Another one of my best friends is 50 and dresses young. He's constantly getting hit on by 20-somethings (drives his wife crazy haha). A young hairstyle is a must as well.

Best of luck with the chickadees!

Yeah, find a lady to help you out with purchases.

I've employed the services of a tailor to make average clothes fit. I'm thin; either shirts fit like a tent, or the sleeves are too short. Finding an old tailor who's made suits is a plus. Most of these guys are from the old country, and elderly now. But, that helps if you can find the right person.

Originally Posted By: Al
Way more important is good grooming, careful shaving,trim eyebrows, ears, etc. According to my 69 yo wife.

Yep. Manscaping is very important. My wife trims my eyebrows and uses tweezers to remove all ear hair.

I'm in the same exact situation,.. 34" waist, but 44/46 long. Whatever fits my shoulders is built for a guy who either has a beer gut for years, or otherwise looks pregnant.

One way around is to look for "tailored fit" shirts. They tend to be smaller in the waist.

Wear clothes you feel comfortable in.
Age is relative as we all know. People die at all ages, young and old.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Wear clothes you feel comfortable in.
Age is relative as we all know. People die at all ages, young and old.

You just removed a lot of potential candidates. If you are not looking for a woman...good advice...

Al, do they really come to clothes? Do they really care about the image? If one is looking to find those who do, it is OK. I do not think long term partnership can be had just based on looks.

In this situation, there is NOTHING that can replace a good female friend that knows whats up and will go shop with you! Subtle changes in clothes can make HUGE differences in how you look and feel.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
In this situation, there is NOTHING that can replace a good female friend that knows whats up and will go shop with you! Subtle changes in clothes can make HUGE differences in how you look and feel.

good tip.
when you start seeing a woman, almost always, she will try to "fix" you.usually, it starts with clothing changes.i've seen this many times, and have been through it, as well.that's just what they do.it's all part of the game.
the odds are good that many guys here would concur.so, you need not worry too much about it.she will fix this for you.good luck.

Al, do they really come to clothes? Do they really care about the image? If one is looking to find those who do, it is OK. I do not think long term partnership can be had just based on looks.
I agree with this. If women are only attracted by image or clothes other other material things, then that is the type of women you don't want.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I agree with this. If women are only attracted by image or clothes other other material things, then that is the type of women you don't want.

So YOU see two women in the grocery..Candidate #1 is well dressed groomed wears nice clothes and Candidate #2 isn't. You would jump at candidate #2...right
crazy2.gif

I understand what you are saying. If you feel that an attractive woman is not worth a second or third look..good luck. I will hit on the better groomed and dressed one ever time and so will a woman hit to a well kept guy

BTW my wife is not one of these women "you don't want". She dresses very nice and keeps herself very nice after 48 years.

You never get a second chance to make a good impression.

Last edited:
Don't forget to have a well written online profile at which every dating website you post on.

Women read between the lines of your profile page.

Try looking into these:

Bombfell.com
fivefourclothing.com
trunkclub.com

These are clothing subscriptions sites. Some you pay a flat fee per month and they send you cloths based on your preferences you selected. Some you only pay for the items you keep and you send the rest back. There are plenty of other companies similar to these but I figure the three above are good examples to start with. Hope this helps you.

Also check all your local thrift shops,resale shops,and Goodwill stores. I bought a closet full of Ralph Lauren $100 button downs new with tags at Goodwill for $5 a pop!

Realistically, if you want an attractive woman who has options, then you have to look good yourself. "If a woman cares that much about your looks, then you don't want her" is advice if you're living in fantasyland, not here on planet Earth. Despite what women say, they are VERY visual and care a lot about a man's physical appearance.

At 52, if you have a good build you can still wear clothes for 35-45 guys. Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Banana Republic are fashionable starting points. Don't wear torn jeans from Guess; you would look like you're trying too hard. No Abercrombie or Hollister stuff.

Dont forget the shoes too.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Okay, here's a very un-bitog topic. I know most of us probably aren't looking like we were dressed by the fashion consultant for GQ magazine. Never been a clothes horse myself. But my situation sort of needs a tweak. I need to get more with the program on clothes if I ever intend to get back into the dating game. If I buy middle age guy clothes, the shirts, sweaters, etc are always too huge in the waist. I've got a 34" waist but wear 46 long in suit jackets. There-in lies the rub. Something that fits in the shoulders is a tent at the waist and if it's compatible with tailoring I usually then pony up for having it taken-in.

So here's it in a nutshell. Clothes in the young men's section fit my build better, but I don't want to look like an old dude (52) trying to dress too far below his age. But also don't want to look like a grandpa either.

Okay, this whole post is very chick-esque. Go easy on me!

Here's what you do....ask a cute single female to go shopping with you or ask a cute single women in the store while you're shopping if she can kindly give you some advice and what she thinks of certain clothing. Tell them you're looking for clothes to date with. It flatters women when you seek their advice and many love to shop. Plus if they know you're single and looking it's like throwing chum into a shark tank..women are competitive.

Don't worry too much about the clothing label just make sure it fits well and looks good. The women you should want to seek out won't care about clothing labels. Make sure to buy nice shoes.

Oh, and remember a smile is your most effective friend when you flirt with women. Go get em.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back