TDI Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I took the 2013 Beetle TDI (has 27k miles) out of town (115 miles) and when I started it today it had a tick/ very mild knock. Yes I know it's a diesel but it's never made this sound before. I shut it off and waited a couple minutes and checked the oil and it was below the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. I then waited 1 1/2 hours and checked and it now touches the cross hatch area. It still makes the noise but after taking it on a 5-6 mile drive and it warmed up a little, and the noise is pretty much gone now.

It's been almost 8k miles since the last oil change and I know a quart in 8k miles isn't a big deal, but about 8k miles into the last oil change I checked the oil and it was still full so this consumption is recent. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer and having them top it off and make them monitor the consumption from now on. I also don't hear of much oil consumption with diesels.

I wouldn't worry about a quart in 8K miles in the least, and I doubt a dealer would.

FWIW, I just had to add another quart to my 2014 Subaru. 2000mi into the most recent oil change and it needed a quart (again).

Last edited:
Did you by chance change oils the last OCI, or were your driving habits different? Plenty of examples of both causing a bit of consumption.

On the other hand, it is true you seldom hear about diesels using oil, but seriously even so ... Check Your Oil.
spankme2.gif

the 2.0 TDI PD's we had in our mitsu's until 2010 pretty much all consumed oil. Many don't show any oil anymore on the dipstick by the time they come in for a change (which should be every 9k miles). I often only drain 2.5 quarts out.

the PSA engined mitsu's and the later Mivec diesels typically show little to no oil consumption over the whole oci (12k miles).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does "out of town" mean extended hwy driving? This often results in some oil consumption on many engines.
Yes but it was only 115 miles of 70 mph. In town on the highway it's driven a lot faster. It's driven about 18k miles a year

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I took the 2013 Beetle TDI (has 27k miles) out of town (115 miles) and when I started it today it had a tick/ very mild knock. Yes I know it's a diesel but it's never made this sound before. I shut it off and waited a couple minutes and checked the oil and it was below the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. I then waited 1 1/2 hours and checked and it now touches the cross hatch area. It still makes the noise but after taking it on a 5-6 mile drive and it warmed up a little, and the noise is pretty much gone now.

It's been almost 8k miles since the last oil change and I know a quart in 8k miles isn't a big deal, but about 8k miles into the last oil change I checked the oil and it was still full so this consumption is recent. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer and having them top it off and make them monitor the consumption from now on. I also don't hear of much oil consumption with diesels.

172K? What oil are you using?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I'm not sure I understand. I'm talking about the 2013 TDI Beetle, my 2004 has 172k, the 2013 has 27k.

The 2004 has been dealer serviced until 158k last August when I started changing it with Pentosin High Performance II 5w40

I think my PD would burn a liter over 10k when I ran 506 stuff, which was 5w30. Which I am told is the wrong weight. I think some brands did use more, but I never thought much of it, as long as it was at the cross hatch or better.

Since you have a bum cam, and since mine is worn now too, I will likely switch. I hear Rotella is good; maybe I can get that at Walmart. T6 or whatever. Might be cheaper than whatever I was paying before.

Originally Posted By: supton
Since you have a bum cam, and since mine is worn now too, I will likely switch. I hear Rotella is good;

He's talking about his aunt's 2013 Beetle. Most likely it's still under warranty, so he probably wants to continue using a VW approved oil.

I'm not sure I understand. I'm talking about the 2013 TDI Beetle, my 2004 has 172k, the 2013 has 27k.

The 2004 has been dealer serviced until 158k last August when I started changing it with Pentosin High Performance II 5w40

Ah OK, confused two cars.
Try switching oils, I think Mobil1 5W30 ESP is better then Castrol LL-03.
Still, if I owned that car (and I am on market to get Q7 TDI) I would be very skeptical running it longer then 7.5K.

A quart of consumption in 8K miles is, well, no consumption for all practical purposes. That's so little I wouldn't sweet it, nor would I try to "correct" it.

But you need to pull that dipstick out and check it more than once every 8K miles!

Ah OK, confused two cars.
Try switching oils, I think Mobil1 5W30 ESP is better then Castrol LL-03.
Still, if I owned that car (and I am on market to get Q7 TDI) I would be very skeptical running it longer then 7.5K.
I have no concerns of running a TDI at least 10k miles on an oil change. On my 2004 I did a UOA at 10,228 miles and it had plenty of TBN and the oil was still in grade, a little high on iron but that's because my cam is about toast.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
A quart of consumption in 8K miles is, well, no consumption for all practical purposes. That's so little I wouldn't sweet it, nor would I try to "correct" it.

But you need to pull that dipstick out and check it more than once every 8K miles!
Well it sounds like the consumption isn't too bad, I'm heading to PepBoys right now for a quart of Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 to top it off, I'll mention the consumption to the dealer on the next visit when I take it in for the recalls. And I'll definitely keep an eye on the oil level more carefully.

Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: supton
Since you have a bum cam, and since mine is worn now too, I will likely switch. I hear Rotella is good;

He's talking about his aunt's 2013 Beetle. Most likely it's still under warranty, so he probably wants to continue using a VW approved oil.

Doah! Right you are. Ignore what I said.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
You and your wife are definitely a VW family.
Lol it's my aunt's car (whom I live with while I'm in college), I drive the car often as well as her 1970 Beetle.

Burns a quart of oil in 8,000 miles. Boy do you have issues. I bet it burned over a gallon of fuel to. Are you going to complain about that to?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Burns a quart of oil in 8,000 miles. Boy do you have issues. I bet it burned over a gallon of fuel to. Are you going to complain about that to?
I was asking if it was a concern since I never hear about diesels burning oil and it hadn't previously, also that there was a weird engine sound.

I'm now back into town after a 2 hour drive and it's been sitting in the garage for several hours and I just checked the oil and it's 2/3 up the dipstick to full. I'm not adding any oil, my dad's driveway must not have been level (I was pretty sure it was). Oh well thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back