O'Reilly Rebate Taking Oil Filter Top Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at O'Reilly auto parts, sometimes they have oil change specials where you get a special rebate if you complete a rebate form, but they often require the oil filter barcode, which means taking the lid off. Is this bad for the oil filter. Will the oil filter go bad if the lid is off? (I have to leave now, but I'll provide more details later).

Wrap the box with plastic or saran wrap. Total protection from the elements, if you ever got to take your filter adventuring or in extreme conditions.

But storing a filter face down in it's box with the top ripped off in a dry cabinet won't be bad for the filter.

Is the box air tight or moisture tight? I don't think so. Just store the filter open end down like suggested above. There will be no difference.

How wild are you in the garage where the oil filter is stored? Unless you sandblast or do a lot of sanding in the garage I wouldn't worry about it. Even so, you can do as suggested above.

i'm worried about the temperature. i have one "open" filter from last summer and it's a wix oil filter from oreilly's. i don't have too much stuff and don't go "wild" in the garage like sanding/etc but i'm worried about the summer heat/winter cold (esp the deathly cold like last winter) messing the oil filter up. what if i store the filter inside? i'm worried about RUST or the materials decomposing if the lid/top of the oil filter box is gone. is wrapping it in plastic wrap good, or is keeping it inside even without the box OK? i'm worried about oxidation and other stuff. thanks

basically, how long can you store an oil filter outside of its box for? a wix one from oreilly's

On an unrelated note, do you guys buy oil analysis kits in bulk or individually and is ot better to buy them in bulk and is the goodyear integrity being discontinued soon?

Is a wet oil filter ok? I accidentally spillrd punch on the way home on my filters after just bying them.

Would they rust and damage my engine or should I return them? I guess wrapping the wix filters in plastic wrap would protect them from oxidation from the air right? Os is covering them in air not good?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Is a wet oil filter ok? I accidentally spillrd punch on the way home on my filters after just bying them.

Would they rust and damage my engine or should I return them? I guess wrapping the wix filters in plastic wrap would protect them from oxidation from the air right? Os is covering them in air not good?

Please. Stop. Please.

Just stop. Please.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Please. Stop. Please.

Just stop. Please.
LOL

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Please. Stop. Please.

Just stop. Please.
I didnt think this guy was still around. LOL. So much made up non sense.

Not a problem, just rinse it with distilled water until the water runs clear. Then put in a preheated oven at 325F for four hours. Allow to cool before installing. New filters should be vacuum packed is foodsaver bags.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Wrap the box with plastic or saran wrap. Total protection from the elements, if you ever got to take your filter adventuring or in extreme conditions.

But storing a filter face down in it's box with the top ripped off in a dry cabinet won't be bad for the filter.

thumbsup2.gif

stop with the sarcasm. I'm completely serious. My filter got wet. But I returned it, i told them the story and they gave me an exchange, accidents happen, life happens.

I'm assuming wrapping an opened wix filter, which no longer has a box top due to the oreilly rebate requiring the UPC is not good as the filter can oxidize and wrapping it would be better and prevent rust/the elements from impacting it and maintain its newness, right? What's the shelf life of an oil filter? Does it matter? Can a wrapped oil filter be used 10 years later and are the companies constantly changing/improving their filters so you want the newest one, even if it has the same part number? Let's say it's a fram PH3486
in ten years from now, is the farm PH3486 going to be the same or will it have been vastly improve? in other words, can you keep an oil filter stash and buy oil filters earlier as they're cheaper or should you buy the freshest filter possible? Thanks. or does filter age not matter?

stop with the sarcasm. I'm completely serious. My filter got wet. But I returned it, i told them the story and they gave me an exchange, accidents happen, life happens.

I'm assuming wrapping an opened wix filter, which no longer has a box top due to the oreilly rebate requiring the UPC is not good as the filter can oxidize and wrapping it would be better and prevent rust/the elements from impacting it and maintain its newness, right? What's the shelf life of an oil filter? Does it matter? Can a wrapped oil filter be used 10 years later and are the companies constantly changing/improving their filters so you want the newest one, even if it has the same part number? Let's say it's a fram PH3486
in ten years from now, is the farm PH3486 going to be the same or will it have been vastly improve? in other words, can you keep an oil filter stash and buy oil filters earlier as they're cheaper or should you buy the freshest filter possible? Thanks. or does filter age not matter?

Oh my god you are not buying a piece of fruit. If you are that worried about it use it the next oil change you do. If you have to fret about weather your filter is "fresh" just wait until you need to change the oil before you go by a filter.

^ What that guy said.

You're way too concerned about the "freshness" of an oil filter. If you're this concerned about it then just buy one when you need it and pass on the 2 dollar savings for the rebate.

Or just change your oil right now so it gets the freshest filter possible!

... wrapping it would be better and prevent rust/the elements from impacting it and maintain its newness, right? ...

Yes, wrapping the box (with the filter in it with the base/open-end down) with plastic/saran wrap would help keep the elements from affecting the filter (would help prevent rust, etc.) ... or you could wrap the filter in plastic wrap and place it back in the box with the base/open-end down. That's what I did with my filters in stash. I wrapped them in plastic wrap, put a rubber band around the filters near the base/open-end to further secure the wrap, and then put the filters back in their boxes with the base-end down. I don't know if it was really necessary, but I'm sure it will help guard against rust, etc.

At jhellwig. Good advice, though I often buy on sale and the sales don't 100 percent match up with my oil changes and it's random as in last month had the Pennzoil platinum gift card deal whereas this month it's gone and I don't need to do an oil change till at least late July!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Is the box air tight or moisture tight? I don't think so. Just store the filter open end down like suggested above. There will be no difference.
^^^This^^^

Even with the lid intact, the box is not a hermetic seal so it won't matter one bit.

Unless you spill punch on them...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
... If you are that worried about it use it the next oil change you do. If you have to fret about weather your filter is "fresh" just wait until you need to change the oil before you go by a filter.[/b]

I believe this is good advice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back