Stealership or Reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
4 year old car with 55k miles should not need a water pump or a serpentine belt. And if it does, would it not be covered under warranty?

After calling Toyota, it is indeed covered under the 60 month/60k mile powertrain warranty. Some chat on the internet about this issue seems to indicate that they are replacing the water pumps with a new part number. This could be a minor revision and it is unrelated, but if not, hopefully it means a better/improved part.

My vote then goes to stealership
smile.gif

Sounds very stealership-y that they would quote you for a warranty repair! Wouldn't surprise me if they aren't planning to also bill Toyota for the work.

If you get the pump under warranty they might suddenly find your serpentine belt was fine after all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you get the pump under warranty they might suddenly find your serpentine belt was fine after all.

Yup, warranty will only paid for the failed component and any components that have to be replaced when replacing the failed component. So if in the FSM is states that once removed the belt cannot be re-used they will install a new belt.

Originally Posted By: smc733

So it looks like its just onto the brakes as being an issue now (though any additional feedback as to why a water pump is leaking at 55k is appreciated). There's unfortunately no description on the printout they gave me as to what they would do.

"FRONT BRAKE SERVICE: PADS ARE OK AT THIS TIME, NEEDS SERVICE DUE TO VIBRATION" - $180.

^That's all I've got. I imagine for 1.5 hours of labor, there's likely to be some resurfacing going on, since adjustments can't take that long (at least not on THIS kind of car)

The water pump was probably leaking from the weep hole, which is an early sign of failure. Probably a manufacturing defect. Which contrary to the popular belief happens to Toyotas as well.

As far as "brake service" at 1.5 hour labor, they'd better be resurfaced and I would ask them what exactly did they do as part of this "service". I just completed a full brake job on my in-laws Golf City. It took us about 2 hours, so if the dealer took 1.5 hours, I would make sure that it was more than just lubing the pins, because "service" could mean just that.

Toyo dealers typically charge $100 for replacing front pads, but do NOT include associated parts (pins, shims, boots) to do a "complete" and "correct" pad replacement service...and NOT including rotor service, "turned" or replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
This sounds like a classic case of pad deposits on the rotor. They should be able to remove the pad deposits with 130 sandpaper or a wire brush.

That's exactly what I would have thought. I have done it many times.

Update, the water pump is done, covered under warranty. They did the coolant too at no charge.

Thanks everyone for the contributions. I'll try to secure an appointment Saturday at a local place to look at the brakes as suggested, and I'll go from there. I'll be updating the thread when I hear back.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The water pump was probably leaking from the weep hole, which is an early sign of failure. Probably a manufacturing defect. Which contrary to the popular belief happens to Toyotas as well.

I don't know what popular belief is, but I know what's commonly reported on the 10th Gen Corolla forums. Many people have had early water pump failure, more have no failures at all (including me at over 120K miles).

It seems to be an infant mortality parts issue.

Vibration during braking is almost certainly run-out on the rotors. As far as I'm aware, very few shops machine rotors any longer. Possible at the dealer they do, but most indys by me just replace them; rotors are cheap enough to justify this move, in their eyes.

A good friend of mine is a tech at a Toyota dealer; from what he's told me, they always just swap out the rotors for runout issues.

I'm not a fan of swapping out or resurfacing rotors while reusing a set of brake pads to solve a vibration problem. Of course, I don't understand not cleaning and lubing everything related to the caliper while I'm down there anyway either. Starting with a fresh set of hardware is the way to go. Dealer prices are always good for a laugh on brake work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back