Clear Coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen quite a few vehicles that appear to have the Clear Coat going bad. There are large 6-12 inch patches that look frosted with a whitish fringe on the edge. I've seen it on high and low priced vehicles and they are usually ~ 8-10+ years old. What is the most common causes of this? Ed

Living in Florida. The clearcoat is failing because of prolonged exposure to UV light. The solution is a fat coat of wax and parking in the shade.

My '95 Merc was bought new in Daytona Beach, and has lived for the last 9 years in the Arizona desert. The factory clear-coated white paint still looks good, but some of the original pin-striping has faded away.
LOTS of bad paint shows up here in the desert sun, mostly on GM cars and some Toyota models.
Park in the shade as much as possible, facing North whenever you can.
Waxing once-a-year with a quality silicone wax (Meguiar's or TurtleWax) will go a long way to preserve your car's finish -- and NEVER wash your car with dish soap or laundry detergents !!

I also get the impression (maybe I am wrong) that in the transition from solvent base systems to water borne systems, there was a learning curve for the manufacturers that might account for the failures.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back