Household Paper Shredder Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
We tend to not shred encyclopedias or metal. But we would like a shredder rather than the scissors. Anyone have good or bad reccomendations price ballparks? This would be our first shredder, awwww.
smile.gif

I'm betting the Wal-Mart ones self destruct in a week of light use? Or not?

I have a walmart one and it hasn't destructed yet. I have had it 3 years and counting.

They used to be pretty expensive because the cutters had to be machined. When someone figured out how to use a bunch of punched-out steel fingers with keys and slide a few dozen of them onto a shaft the prices dropped a lot.

After that you're paying for the motor, i.e. duty cycle (in minutes per hour) and number of sheets you can simultaneously shred.

Some of the cheap ones have plastic teeth and are very near worthless.

You want cross cut (not just strips) if you're going to bother shredding and Fellowes is a good brand, though not cheap. (ps57cs is what we have).

A 12 sheet shredder from any reputable manufacturer will survive for a long time in a household setting.

My only advice: Stay away from units with slid out or pull out collection bins. That is the only complaint I have with mine. Every time I slide the stupid bin out, little paper scraps always get left behind, making a mess. Stick with a unit that goes directly on top of a collection bin.

Honestly, if I were to buy a home-use shredder right now, it'd be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-12-Sh...ywords=shredder

I used to go through a shredder once every 3-5 years.
Since I've been lubricating mine with CLP every 6 months the last one I've had has lasted 7 years and counting.
A little bit of lube goes a long way. I don't think it needs to be anything special, just a drop every few blades.

Purchased a Fellowes cross-cut 7 sheet and it lasted seven years. Replaced with a Royal cross-cut from Sam's on sale and it has gone three years with no issues. I preferred the Fellowes because of ease of inserting the paper to shred, as compared to the Royal where the paper has to be inserted at an angle vs straight in. Both were less than $100.

At work, we purchased only Fellowes cross-cuts, but they were heavy duty shredders and used a lot.

I have a Black & Decker I got at Wal-Mart a few years ago and it's probably had 2 filing cabinets worth of paper through it and is still going strong. I had a smaller Fellows shredder before that which didn't last long.

Mines packed up currently, but I took a look at walmart and it seems they don't have mine anymore. I believe it was in the 50-60$ range.

Do you have a Costco membership? I was just there over the weekend and they had two in their stores. Don't know how good they were, but you have Costco's awesome return policy if they're not up to your expectations. I also just checked the costco website, and they have a whole bunch available on there.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I have a Royal 10 sheet shredder and it has been a beast for at least 5 years. Works perfect and never any problems. About perfect for a home office in my opinion.

The new 12 sheet one looks pretty good and has decent reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Royal-112MX-12-She...+paper+shredder

+1. Have a 12 sheet Royal that I paid $44.for 12 yrs. ago from Sams Club. Have never done anything except plug it in and make confetti. Works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back