Redline Mix | Ford Focus 2.0 Ti-VCT | 9800 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the result of my Experiment with Redline 5W-20 and Redline 10W race, mixed 80% and 20%, respectively. I wanted low viscosity (I missed) with low NOACK. Amsoil 5W-20 might have been a better choice to meet my requirements. I reloaded with the same mixture and will change at 10k. I'll probably go with Amsoil and a 15k OCI next time.

Focus%2B16500.jpg

Ford seems to have the DI issue down pretty good....those 2.0 DI Foci are pretty easy on their oil. 10K might be doable on a quality dino like PYB given the right conditions...

Thanks for posting the results on your blended mix of Redline oils. Redline has some really great base stock in their oils for the TBN to be still high with all of the wear metals still in the engine. Very impressive.....don't give up on the RL!

IMO....the results are significant and will be excellent once your engine breaks in and indicates lower wear metals and contaminants.

It's my understanding that Amsoil signature series oils are quite capable of 15k OCIs. This car is used for long distance (25 and 100 mile) commutes and is easy on oil. If I can get 10k out of Redline oils, 15k for the Amsoil should be easily achieved.

I'll post the next Redline UOA in roughly 4 months. I'll probably go one more run of Redline after that before I make the decision on switching to Amsoil. The decision may hinge on whether I note any oil consumption. The last run used less than 8 oz over 10k miles. I never noticed any change on the dipstick and basically assume 8 oz of consumption.

Amsoil 5W-20 is supposed to have a superior NOACK rating of around 6 and the mixture I'm running is about 8. My thought process on this is that lower NOACK values (PUP 5W-20 is around 10.5 which is one of my other considerations) result in cleaner EGR passages and better long term performance. If the Focus is not consuming any oil, then I should not have to consider lower NOACK options.

Can you point towards your evidence for Amsoil being suitable for a 15k OCI? I would like to know why you are only willing to run Red Line 10k and believe Amsoil suitable to go 50% farther.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Can you point towards your evidence for Amsoil being suitable for a 15k OCI? I would like to know why you are only willing to run Red Line 10k and believe Amsoil suitable to go 50% farther.

Well, let's try a TBN of 12+ vs. 6.7 for the Redline, for starters. The Amsoil also has a NOACK of 6 vs. 8 for the Redline. I'm in the camp that believes the real benefits of Redline are in applications that generate high oil temperatures, whereas Amsoil is designed for daily drivers that want longer OCIs. Just my opinion, though.

Okay, I see the TAN a bit high with the Red Line. The TBN/TAN is the only reason for condemnation I am picking out. I look forward to seeing the Amsoil UOA or even a Mobil 1 EP UOA.

IMO, it's not quite fair to compare the mix to Amsoil SS 5w-20 instead of just straight 5w-20 Red Line.
49.gif

Yes, the lower viscosity isn't there with Red Line, but the point of their oils is for a more robust oil for racing essentially which is where you get the value of it's protection. If you just want an oil with the goals of this custom blend Amsoil's 5w-20 or even Pennzoil/Mobil1 would probably look just fine.

My BIL pushed regular M1 AFE 0w-20 to 21k miles/1 year interval (similar trips to your length but constantly driven) and it looked every bit as good on paper as the Amsoil 0w-20 he used before. His OCI pattern is basically 1 year intervals, but he pushed to 14 months before as well. Price wise, the Mobil1 won out in his app and since I now own a Fit I'll be using M1 0w-20 oil since this engine seems to love it.

Otherwise, decent run with your post here it seems. Hard to tell much since the engine still may have some break-in metals washing out. However, apparently good remaining life in this fluid's properties with regards to TBN. The TAN of course if going to be higher used with a starting point of around 4. I could see this fill going 12k or so, but I'd figure a 100% fill of 'any' lube in the grade you want would perform better wrt TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back