Shelf life of opened car wax and tire shine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had open bottles Surf City Garage tire shine and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in my garage for 2 yrs now. They've gone through high and low temperature swings. The weather's nice and I want to clean my car. Will these still be good to use?

It has been determined that the shelf life of your Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is 1,345 days, 4 hours and 15 minutes.

Good grief. Try it out and see for yourself. If it fails to perform than it's time to buy some more.

The tire shine should be alright but that wax has seen it's days, freezing weather kills wax, toss it a get a new wax.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its good until it dries out or separates.

This...my meguiars cleaner paste wax randomly separated after a day or so of being exposed to the sun.

Just replace it. The stuffs cheap enough and if kept in doors can probably last indefinite (or close too).

Might wanna try and spend alittle more many good waxes available and if your trusting it to protect a paint job doesn't really hurt to spend a little extra.

Bought a thing of Meguiars ultimate paste over a year ago. After seasonal waxes on my car and two on my wife's I still have at least 4/5th so yeah that's not bad worst case it lasts 3 years and I got great protection that whole period of time.

I only wax tho because we have a lot of trees and trees = tree sap. That and i rarely see older Buicks with good paint. Wife's '06 taurus looks horrible and its... Well almost 10 years old now. Doesn't seem that long.

I can't speak as to other types, but my experience is paste wax will stay good for at least 4 or 5 years. I've never kept a can longer than that, to find out if it will last longer.

The only time I had a can of paste wax go bad, is when I left an applicator in the can with the wax. The applicator had been moistened with water to help the The wax spread easier. It took a couple years, but the wax started smelling mildew like. Perhaps it could have still been used, but I threw it out.

Just finished off a jar of Poorboy's Nattys Red (paste wax) that had a 2009 date code on it. Still looked great on the vehicles and still beads water.

So I'd say as long as it doesn't have fuzz or separates you're good to go.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Have had open bottles Surf City Garage tire shine and Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in my garage for 2 yrs now. They've gone through high and low temperature swings. The weather's nice and I want to clean my car. Will these still be good to use?

I have used car wax that has been in my garage for 12 years...no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back