I changed 5th gear on my manual Saturn SL2
from a .730 to a .605,
1000 RPM drop,
17% better fuel economy, and
lots less cabin noise.

Working on a .581 gear ratio...
1250 RPM drop...

17% ?

edit...you DO know that changing the revs does not change the fuel consumption by the same amount for a given roadspeed.

About a 30% total RPM drop, at 70 MPH...

From 3100 RPM's to just over 2000...

.581 should be 1750-1800 RPM's at 70 MPH...

Last edited:
Summary of the paper.
Honda were after 18/27, 19/28 city highway for the manual and auto V-6 respectively. Reason given was fuel prices and CAFE (similar to most of the Honda economy papers, CAFE, and GHG are generally mentioned in the introduction as drivers).

First change was engine mounts and stereo system, sot that they could use their Variable Cylinder Module at higher BMEPs. (1,3,4, and 6 for 4 cylinder mode, 2,4,6 for 3 cylinder mode), the stereo used to cancel the interior harshness.

EGR increase up to 10%.

Both the above mean that the throttle openings are higher for part throttle RPM, and the engine has fewer pumping losses...The above contributed 7% of the total economy increase (note not 7% increase, 7% OF the increase).

Sliding wear of the piston assembly next target.
* two stage "plateaux" honing process gives flatter hone surface;
* "ion" plating of the oil ring to provide longer life (doesn't mention tension, but I'm surmising that the reason for chasing longer life is to do it with less tension)
* (re my surmising, another Honda paper gives about 40% drag to the piston, and 20% to each of the rings);
* Major and Minor thrusts are Mo coated, then "dots" of coating are removed, to remove surface area, and hold oil.;

The above reduced engine friction by 4% and economy by 5%. (I think this is total, as they don't have the disclaimer "OF" the total.

Changed to 0W20 oil. Reason to gain better mileage on the "city" cycle. Achieves 10% OF the improvement (relative) on the city cycle. No mention of highway...makes sense.

Next was reduction in thermal losses.
* CAI reduced air intake temps by 21C (Intereating, as if you do the thermodynamic cycle, a reduction in inlet temperatures carries all the way through compression, power and exhaust)...credited with 16% highway mileage improvement (again not sure if absolute or relative).;
* High EGR rates reduce peak combustion ptems, and thus the heat transferred (wasted) to the coolant. (no mention of water wetter, they are trying to keep energy In the engine).

Accessory losses:
* overrunning alternator bearings, so on deceleration the alternator free spins, new spring added to damp torque pulsations on re-engagement;
* looked at electric power steering, but variable volume engine driven pump won out;

Transmission
* Long Torqsion Damper spring in the converter is there to dampen the pulses in variable cylinder mode. Better spring tuning, more variable cylinder operation (50% more than previous model);
* Thinner ATF, to reduce power wasted "in the critical warmup phase";
* TCM tuning.

Aerodynamics
* Drag Co-efficient improved by 5%, lead to 12% of the highway fuel economy improvement;

Drivetrain and chassis. Target wheel bearing and other drag:
* Changes to the bearing and lip seal reduced friction on front wheel bearings by 24%, Rear bearing drag improved by 48%. Combined, were 2% of the economy improvement (relative);
* Moving the front caliper brake pivot pins (swapping the fixed and floating pins) better controlled retraction when brakes are released.
* small V spring to knock the pads back off the disk slightly to reduce drag.
* Increase in wheel diameters by an inch.

Weight (commentary on weight and EPA/CAFE requirements gradings "Touring needed separate certification);
* Engine mass reduction 5.5Kg, Intake reduction 2 Kg, Cooling system 1.4Kg;
* Revised steel sections and materials in chassis saved 18.67Kg
* Multiple weight reductions in seats and mountings...etc.

End result, and it's worth noting the "Relative" improvements, i.e. they are a percentage of the total improvement.
LX-EX, +2/+4 MPG City/Highway
EXL, +1/+2 MPG City/Highway
Touring +2/+3 MPG City/Highway

If they could have gotten 17% with a gear ratio, I'm sure thet they would have.

It's too bad that in the real world the Ody cannot get better than 25mpg highway unless there's a 25mph tailwind and you're going downhill.

Over the holiday weekend, I took the family on a two hour trip to a condo. On the way there we were driving with the wind and I got 28.8mpg, which is just over the EPA highway rating. On the way back into the wind it dropped to 24.2mpg. Clearly aerodynamics and wind drag are the majority factors in the hunt for MPGs.

Yeah- he's talking about the VCM. Dreaded side effects? I got the VCM V6 and it is absolutely the best car I have owned. No problems at all except for the super delicate paint and uncomfortable seats. Very refined drive train, Would buy one again.

Vikas-
It's a 2008 with about 50 k miles. OCI has been about 4-5k miles. First year for the 2gen VCM-the version ppl complain about. My only "complaint" about the VCM is that it hunts for the appropriate cylinders in hilly terrain. Otherwise, it's smooth. Mostly hiway miles, where the VCM is in the 3 or 4 cylnder mode and is the alleged cause of the problems.No oil consumption either.

With 4-5K OCI, you will have no problems. But if you had followed the Honda MM schedule (more than 8K in regular driving) with non-synthetic for 75K, you would be having the VCM related issues later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back