most powerful push mower on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me just start off by saying I hate mowing. I have hay fever and I find the whole ordeal is nothing but miserable. I work a lot of hours then I can only seem to find time to mow my yard once a week. for about half the summer in Minnesota, grass grows extremely fast. after this time it gets dry and it slows considerably. mowing the thick grass takes nearly 4 times as long

It has to be a push, it has to fit through a doorway, it does not need to be propelled , it has to have a lot of torque

I have a lot of yard to mow, a double lot, and my mtd with an ohc 173cc sometimes ... doesn't cut it

Last edited:
In a push-only mower, the Snapper 2187520 is the most powerful I've found. They're about $450. It's equipped with the Briggs and Stratton Pro Series 875, so 8.75 ft-lbs.

If you're interested in self-propelled, you can find more powerful setups. Exmark made a powerful 26" model for a while, although they don't anymore.

It would be easy to buy a mower deck and mount an 8 or 10hp vertical shaft motor to it.

Ill throw in my 2 cents of whats the condition of the mower. Specifically a new or super sharp blade can perform a lot more work without bogging down than a dull blade with the same hp. Same goes for say the spark fuel air etc If that is in good shape or not

Last edited:
You hate to mow the lawn / I enjoy it.
Why ? ? ?
Answer: I have the Toro mower with Personal Pace.
Cutting the lawn for me is just going for a walk (1.5 hours).
When you start to walk, the mower starts to move / when you stop, the mower stops.
Best investment I ever made.
Check out Toros Personal Pace, or other Companies equivalent.

Edit: Keep blade sharp and clean grass from under deck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
You hate to mow the lawn / I enjoy it.
Why ? ? ?
Answer: I have the Toro mower with Personal Pace.
Cutting the lawn for me is just going for a walk (1.5 hours).
When you start to walk, the mower starts to move / when you stop, the mower stops.
Best investment I ever made.
Check out Toros Personal Pace, or other Companies equivalent.

Edit: Keep blade sharp and clean grass from under deck.

Word.

How big is your lot? Perhaps a riding mower would make it fun. We're on .4 acre and I didn't mind the push mower but it was a chore (and a 3 hour chore when you count trimming and blowing, etc). With the riding mower it's a drive in the yard. And it cut it down to 45 minutes mowing and 20 or so trimming and blowing.

Originally Posted By: tstep
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/

Not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but these are beasty. Probably the hay the lawn at the end of the season.

Yeah - This guy is nuts:
http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/f...er-new-50st.axd

20hp V-twin push mower!!!

I wonder if they have one with a V8!
smile.gif

The 6.5HP Lawn Boy 2 strokes are generally regarded as the most powerful push mowers. Also very light weight. They simply can't be stalled in any normal grass, wet or not. They produce quite a bit of torque. However, they were last available in the mid 2000's.

I won't make the claim that they are the "best" mowers. Honda powered mowers are higher quality. But the Lawn Boy 6.5HP is an absolute powerhouse. I purchased one to mow my "swale" (a small water canal) that becomes overgrown. They work very well on hills and slopes, as the engine is a 2 stroke, so the engine never starves for oil.

I cut 2 foot high Florida grass with mine. It chugs right through.

51c7b03b37f2d_254277n.jpg

Here is a video of one that needs a tune up. Yet still powers through all the junk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMpveTOrXY

This guy cuts 2 foot grass with his 4.5HP (older) lawnboy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYQmDm53fM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
The 6.5HP Lawn Boy 2 strokes are generally regarded as the most powerful push mowers. Also very light weight. They simply can't be stalled in any normal grass, wet or not. They produce quite a bit of torque. However, they were last available in the mid 2000's.

I won't make the claim that they are the "best" mowers. Honda powered mowers are higher quality. But the Lawn Boy 6.5HP is an absolute powerhouse. I purchased one to mow my "swale" (a small water canal) that becomes overgrown. They work very well on hills and slopes, as the engine is a 2 stroke, so the engine never starves for oil.

I cut 2 foot high Florida grass with mine. It chugs right through.

51c7b03b37f2d_254277n.jpg

Here is a video of one that needs a tune up. Yet still powers through all the junk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMpveTOrXY

Nice! Any two stroke problems with it? I will never another two stroke weed eater.

Also take note the consumer product safety commission regulates a top blade speed. There was a bru-ha-ha over this as it was somewhat under peak RPM and rated HP for lawnmnower engines, and is why they're rated in torque.

Anyway, this is hackable, as are most machines. If you can get a faster blade speed you can trot behind the mower and still get a good cut as each blade of grass will still see a cutting blade several times. The briggs carbs require stretching springs; I expect the nicer engines to have an easier time of things.

Also I believe a simple blade that cuts once will put less drag on the system than a fancy mulching blade that's designed to fling stuff up into the deck and re-cut it again and again.

Originally Posted By: 3311

Nice! Any two stroke problems with it? I will never another two stroke weed eater.

I purchased mine used. I cleaned the carb and installed a new idle jet (I've posted on this before) It runs perfectly.

Get on Craigslist and find an old John Deere 14SB. It's a 5-speed, so absolutely no pushing. The biggest plus - the Kawasaki engine on them in a complete BEAST and will run forever. It also has a cast aluminum deck, rear side-discharge, and a blade clutch. That means you can stop the blade to pick up obstacles without having to shut the mower off. With its 1-gallon fuel tank, you can mow a heck of a yard and not have to stop and refill.

14sb.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hansj3
it has to fit through a doorway

Standard exterior door is 36"

There are several 32" walk-behinds on the market from various manufacturers equipped with the Kawasaki FS481V:

603cc
14.5 HP
30.9 FT-LBS

Originally Posted By: hansj3
let me just start off by saying I hate mowing. I have hay fever and I find the whole ordeal is nothing but miserable. I work a lot of hours then I can only seem to find time to mow my yard once a week. for about half the summer in Minnesota, grass grows extremely fast. after this time it gets dry and it slows considerably. mowing the thick grass takes nearly 4 times as long

It has to be a push, it has to fit through a doorway, it does not need to be propelled , it has to have a lot of torque

I have a lot of yard to mow, a double lot, and my mtd with an ohc 173cc sometimes ... doesn't cut it

You hate mowing, yet you don't want a self propel mower that makes mowing easier and more efficient? Not sure I understand the reasoning.

Your current 173cc is a powerful engine. It should have no trouble mowing. You are likely mowing at too low of a setting, which no mower can over come. When the grass is tall kick the deck up to match. Too many people think they need a more powerful mower when all they actually needed was to use the mower as it was designed and not ask too much of it.

All mower owners manuals have something in it to the effect that the mower is only designed to take 1 to 1.5 inches off the top off the grass. If you try to take off more than that, you are doing it wrong.

One other option, most mowers engines today run really slow because of blade speed safety guidelines. I like to kick the RPM up 200 rpm or so if it is safe to do on that model. Might want to look into increasing your engine RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back