Old Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No one knows what "the old version" refers to.

PP used to be PAO based; is that to what you are referring?

He probably means the NON natural gas version.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No one knows what "the old version" refers to.

PP used to be PAO based; is that to what you are referring?

He probably means the NON natural gas version.

Yes the one previous Pure Plus

I took the old version because seems that the NOAK of Pure Plus is higher I read that many people are having oil consume problem.

Last edited:
PP was not a PAO based oil before it went to Pure Plus.

Pennzoil's own Q&A section on BITOG (pre Pure Plus base stock) clearly stated that their Ultra was a group III oil, I seriously doubt their lower tier PP would use a better base stock.

A 2010 MSDS for PP 5w-30 also shows no sign of a PAO base oil.

It was a solid group III oil as shown in the old PQIA VOA, I wouldn't hesitate using it.

I have been using the new PP natural gas formulation for about 4k miles in my Chrysler and it has not burned any. Still at the full level.
So I have to say that in my car it does not burn off at all so far.
Don't know why this particular oil would burn off any faster than other synthetic oils but maybe some have some leakers and burners.
As far as I can tell with this oil, I would not hesitate to use it again. Should be good for another 6k miles or so.
Happy motoring

IMO....what you found at WM, was most likely, returned PP from a customer. IMO...someone had a stash and decided to bring it back for a refund, exchange or a gift card.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....what you found at WM, was most likely, returned PP from a customer. IMO...someone had a stash and decided to bring it back for a refund, exchange or a gift card.

Probably the person who returned it was a BITOG member and wanted the newer formulation. So who was it??

could just be old stock.

I picked up 5L jug of PP 5W20 at CTC this week (sale) for a future OC on my Ford F50 and noticed they still had some older stock of PP in the 1L bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back