Dodge 2500 transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This is more of a discussion than anything but I was helping a buddy of mine out (who does home automation, I do some network gear for him when required) in picking up his 2006 RAM 2500 diesel and driving it back to his shop for him. It was in at the mechanic getting a new U-joint. He drives a 2014 1500 EcoDiesel as his DD, which is a much "nicer" truck in many ways.

Anyway, he asked me how I liked driving it and whether the shaking was gone and I said it was fine though the transmission seemed eager to shift. He then informed me that this was a new transmission that had been installed last year. The truck has 270,000Km's on it (168,000 miles) currently. This surprised the pants off of me given that he doesn't tow with it and my buddy Jon's old 2005 F-250 has around 400,000Km on it with the original 5R110, many of those miles with a tuner and making 800lb-ft of torque and towing 13Klbs with it driving like a maniac.

Are these transmissions unusually fragile or was this just bad luck? I had thought Dodge had got their stuff together on their truck transmissions by 2006
21.gif

Yeah I've always heard Dodge doesn't usually have good transmissions on their trucks. My mechanic buddy had to replace one on a nice Ram Hemi that never towed and only had around 120k miles, I think it was a 2005. Maybe the newer newer ones are better.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
with the original 5R110

There's a HUGE difference in capability between a Torqshift and stock 48RE.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
with the original 5R110

There's a HUGE difference in capability between a Torqshift and stock 48RE.

That was the impression I got from the discussion but was hopeful that perhaps his experience was uncommon.

I talked to a guy that hauls cars cross country for a living. He drives a Dodge truck and tows a 3 car fifth wheel. Told me the truck towed great minus the tranny rebuild every few years. I was a little shocked but knew that Dodge transmissions don't have that great of a reputation. One reason I won't own another. Though the new ones are a whole different animal.

Maybe he rebuilt it prematurely just because it has a symptom of a bad tranny, those shops will tell you that you need to do a full rebuild if you bring them a healthy car.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Though the new ones are a whole different animal.

When did they become "new"?

When they got 5,6 and 8 speeds.

I don't tow a whole lot and never more than 8000 pounds however with the hemi dodges we have there has never been so much as a hiccup from them. The highest mile example is my brothers. It's an 08 with 280k+ and it shifts/runs perfectly.
The 4x4 front ends tend to be weak however the tea by has held up great.
I do a drain and fill every 50k on all of them.

Sorry overkill. Mine are all 1500 series so my experience doesn't apply

Last edited:
Sorry yo hear stories like this!

Although I do know many folks who don't have a lick of problems with their Dodge tranny, we have never been this fortunate since the early 70's!

Our 5 out of 6 Chrysler vehicles, including Dodge/Plymouth cars&trucks have developed tranny issues or complete failures. All were maintained(w/ proper fluid/filters) and the last one('97 RAM, used mostly carlike), went through 3 trannys in 115K miles!

And although Chrysler vehicles are still having plenty of tranny issues(the latest 9 speed also), so are other auto makers! ...
frown.gif

Last edited:
cummins forum is probably a better place to ask. i flipped a 2008 2500 with 197k on it and it did make a garley noise when it shifted into 6th. still drove fine and lasted a 500 mile trip to odessa tx.

why? there are plenty on the road today. just budget for a transmission just like everything else and move along with life.

The 4 speed autos had 2 weaknesses from the factory that are responsible for the majority of the common problems. A competent builder that understands the 47/48RE can address these weaknesses and build a reliable transmission good for 250k+ towing miles.
The problem is many dont understand them and rebuild them with OEM replacement valvebodies and TCs and are upset when the end result is the same.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So should I have low expectations for my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins?

It all depends on your use and prior mtce history. At stock power levels and proper maintenance Ive seen them go 200k or more. Start throwing programmers or injectors at the truck and the low line pressures of the stock valve body can't hold the lock up and the TC slips under even moderate loads.

There was a factory recall to raise line pressures & shift firmness on at least some 48REs (my '06 in my sig had it done), made shifts faster & more solid. Mine has been good (although at only 58K miles now)-but I try not to be too hard on it. Not sure about the 47RE, never was brave enough to have one.

OT-the 5R110 TorqShift is a BEAST-it was the only really good part of my '04 6.0 E-350 van, made it to 250K before it lost reverse. Even with overloading & hauling at least 8K every day, most of it urban stop & go driving.

Originally Posted By: jrmason

It all depends on your use and prior mtce history. At stock power levels and proper maintenance Ive seen them go 200k or more. Start throwing programmers or injectors at the truck and the low line pressures of the stock valve body can't hold the lock up and the TC slips under even moderate loads.

I did my car crazy stuff when I was in my early 20s. At 62 I want the vehicles to be reliable.

I did my car crazy stuff when I was in my early 20s. At 62 I want the vehicles to be reliable.

then buy new with a 10 year warranty, and trade it it on month 119.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

then buy new with a 10 year warranty, and trade it it on month 119.

Did you buy their extended warranty?
I bought a gently used 13 in 14 with the remaining 5 year/100k warranty that came with the truck.

Last edited:
My work had a 3/4 ton plow truck that only did one 60-space parking lot and it ate three 4-speed trannies in 60k. Eventually a rebuilder found a bad check valve in the tranny cooler line and spliced around it. It was a year 2000 dodge with 318 but everything about its design reeked of 1985.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back