2016 Camaro... ew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I read the info on the site, and yeah, the SS has the AFM/DOD on the LT1.
frown.gif

The cool thing is that they now use a Tremec 6 speed manual box in the non V-8 versions, instead of the Nippon nameplated Aisin units of the past.
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif
34.gif

I just HOPE that they do a larger displacement, NA, non-AFM/DOD, LT1 for the Z28 version, instead of just throwing a big Maggie/Eaton blower on it, a la the C7 Z06.

I was also hoping that this platform would be 450-500 lbs. lighter than the 5th gen, not just ~200, but every little bit helps.
wink.gif

AFM is here to stay. If you want an engine without AFM in the future, you'll have to delete it yourself.

Yes, I would like to see a larger displacement N/A Z28 in the future, but I hope they don't make it a $75,000 car. That's so un-Camaro-like. Camaro's are all about affordable performance.

Yes, sadly, I realize that you are correct about the AFM, and that is about the ONLY way we can have THIS type of V-8 performance in a CAFE driven world.
mad.gif

IF they can find a way to make more power without adding an Eaton/Maggie on top (and all of the ancillary weight and cost involved), that might keep the cost down at least a little, but once they start using; carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum alloys to try and pare more weight off of this platform (for the Z28 version), the cost goes right back on.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
3 radiators in the V8 model!

Are the radiators daisy-chained together (linked in series)?

I wonder how long they'll stick with that design. GM used to think that liquid cooled alternators were the thing, too, until they realized that they added two or three additional leak points to the cooling system, and went back to conventional alternators.

I like the temperature control buttons integrated into the HVAC vents.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
3 radiators in the V8 model!

Are the radiators daisy-chained together (linked in series)?

I wonder how long they'll stick with that design. GM used to think that liquid cooled alternators were the thing, too, until they realized that they added two or three additional leak points to the cooling system, and went back to conventional alternators.

I like the temperature control buttons integrated into the HVAC vents.

I am not able to answer your question. Info is a bit sparse on this model. But it is a packaging dilemma, as the car's nose is too small for one radiator to do the job.

The neat thing is the V8 model is track tested and ready, I am sure there is a lot of extra cooling features on it...

Yes, I would like to see a larger displacement N/A Z28 in the future, but I hope they don't make it a $75,000 car. That's so un-Camaro-like. Camaro's are all about affordable performance.

6 figure performance, for $75,000 is affordable.

The neat thing is the V8 model is track tested and ready, I am sure there is a lot of extra cooling features on it...

After seeing the problems with the Z06, I hope you're right.

Originally Posted By: whip

6 figure performance, for $75,000 is affordable.

Relatively. Maybe it's because I'm a cheapskate and get sticker shock comparing a 2014 Z28 at $75k to my 2002 Z28 at $20k. I'm thinking that if I spent $14k for engine, suspension, and brake upgrades on my 2002, it would just about run with a new Z28.

I've never seen a modded car make ALL the numbers AND be as easy to drive AND be as reliable as a much newer one that does everything out the gate. And that's including cars that cost much more to mod than the newer car would have cost.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I've never seen a modded car make ALL the numbers AND be as easy to drive AND be as reliable as a much newer one that does everything out the gate. And that's including cars that cost much more to mod than the newer car would have cost.

I agree with you on that. When I started modding my Corvette for more power, I found that I was working on it much more than I used to. And it became much less usable as a daily driver. That's why I've kept the Camaro close to stock all these years, and it still runs and drives great. I know I can make it faster, but the stiffer suspension required for serious track performance would be brutal on Michigan roads.

More power over the LS1 would be easy to do, and the engine wouldn't even be high-strung. I can get a crate LS3 with a GM Hot Cam and factory tune that puts out 480HP for about half of the hypothetical $14k. Then once I've added the 100+ HP, bigger brakes become necessary, then bigger wheels to clear the bigger brakes, then more expensive tires to go on the bigger wheels, then improved rear suspension to put down the extra power, then improved front suspension to balance the handling...see how it snowballs.

There is a lot to be said for a properly engineered car. The factory engineers take care of all of that stuff before you even walk into the showroom.

Last edited:
I hope they don't make it a $75,000 car. That's so un-Camaro-like. Camaro's are all about affordable performance.

I agree!! Nothing imo makes a car worth $75,000. I remember one of the car mags in the mid-late 90's calling the Camaro Z28 "The best bang for the buck" (plus my favorite Camaro body styles). Where did present day GM go wrong??

Well, when you put $10k brakes on a car, you're well on your way. Just because a cost-is-no-object track Camaro doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it shouldn't be made and that GM has somehow lost their way. I would never buy it but I'm glad to see how far they can go in that direction. I guarantee you, a lot of that performance goodness is baked into the SIX cake.

Then once I've added the 100+ HP, bigger brakes become necessary, then bigger wheels to clear the bigger brakes, then more expensive tires to go on the bigger wheels, then improved rear suspension to put down the extra power, then improved front suspension to balance the handling...see how it snowballs.

...not to mention the requisite; fab 9 axle (so you can use a great diff like the Wavetrac, or Platinum Trac), watts link, decoupled torque arm (or are these the rear axle mods you implied??).
And then the STUPID money Penske/Moton/Ohlins/etc. multi-adjustable, reservoir dampers which could be more than half of that 14 grand when all is said an done.
frown.gif

Then the aero and body mods to handle the square set up 335 section width donuts, carbon kevlar composite seats, built T56 Magnum and lightweight, triple disc racing clutch, and one is not too far from that $75K.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I hope they don't make it a $75,000 car. That's so un-Camaro-like. Camaro's are all about affordable performance.

I agree!! Nothing imo makes a car worth $75,000. I remember one of the car mags in the mid-late 90's calling the Camaro Z28 "The best bang for the buck" (plus my favorite Camaro body styles). Where did present day GM go wrong??

What do you think Chevy should charge for the Z28?

I like the new Camaro, heck, I like the current version and how it drives. However, it's clear that the Camaro is heavy enough to be slower than the competition at the local (hot South Florida) drag strip.

The Coyote Mustangs all run in the 12's and all of them are over 112MPH. Better drivers get them to around 12.6 and 114-115.

The current unmodified Camaro (without supercharger) rarely break into the 12's. I mostly see low 13's at 106-108. I've never seen one hit 110. Some of them run 103 (auto? ) Weight is a penalty, that's for sure. As the C6 Corvette with much the same engine runs low 12's at 117.

The supercharged Camaro is a much better match for the Mustang. Running mid 12's at 115. But it is still slower than the normally aspirated Corvette.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip

What do you think Chevy should charge for the Z28?

Don't know,but surely not $75,000. You can get a nice 2000+ sq ft house here for that. I just couldn't see myself paying that much money for a bunch of rolling plastic that's going to be worth a fraction of that within a couple years. The plastic on a car like that will break and fall off just like the plastic on a $12,000 car. I guess I just can't justify spending almost triple digits on a car. I'd rather put that kind've money into a home upgrade or something and drive an inexpensive car.

Price aside I like it the best out of all the current sports cars.

The $75k Camaro isn't really marketed for the people so pragmatic in their automotive decisions. Though I would say the 300zx wasn't either, when new. The Z28 is a "limited" run vehicle, and I doubt Chevy will have much trouble selling every one they make. And for the performance, $75k is a relative bargain.

Don't know,but surely not $75,000. You can get a nice 2000+ sq ft house here for that.

I don't think you could even get the materials for a 2000sq ft house for that much. Let alone finishing the interior and labor.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Don't know,but surely not $75,000. You can get a nice 2000+ sq ft house here for that.

I don't think you could even get the materials for a 2000sq ft house for that much. Let alone finishing the interior and labor.

In Texas you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back