Corolla’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went down and test drove a few cars today. Seemed like a good day.

First drove a 2012 Corolla LE auto. Ultimately I liked it. People pan the car, and the transmission, but I thought it accomplished the goal of what I looking for: appliance. Simple controls, simple experience. I didn’t push it hard and if I had, I expect it would have been miserable. On the highway it was unmistakable; car wanders a bit in the wind, noise comes up relative to speed. No mistaking when you hit 70mph. On the on-ramp, and around town, I did find myself using the manual shifting mode to force it down a gear; but I like that, I’d rather it lug down for mpg’s in the normal case. Engine was definitely “thrashy” when pushed.

Up on the highway, I found the trans liked to unlock the convertor, but found it way less intrusive than my Tundra. On my Tundra, I have seen rpm jump from 1,500 to nearly 1,900 when it unlocks—an unreasonable amount of slippage if you ask me. On the highway the rpm jump is not so bad, but it grates on my nerves. But the Corolla would jump from 2,900 to nearly 3,000. Add in road/wind noise and it honestly was only noticeable if I looked at the tach.

Next up: a 2015 Corolla L, again with a 4spd auto. Here it was clear that NVH was much better. Ride was better. Lots of soft touches, looks like other cars on the market today. Engine was smoother too I think, and I don’t recall “thrash” when pushed. However: I don’t know if it was this model level or what, but I did not like the sea of black interior. Felt better, more features; but for some reason I did not care for it. Could be because I currently have a black interior, and I dislike how warm it is on sunny days. Or more likely, because it’s a Corolla, and I have a stigma that says Corolla should be basic cars that spent the owner’s money on reliability not soft surfaces where they hands normally do not roam.

We then tried a Prius C 2. Interesting car. Ultimately, and perhaps of no shock to anyone here, I didn’t care for it. “It’s a car” applies here, ‘cept it has more displays and buttons than a computer. Clearly not a highway car, although I didn’t think it horrible—but I also didn’t take it past 65 either. I will say though that the CVT nature did not bug me. Probably because I know it’s not a real transmission, and thus there is nothing being worn by the engine going up/down in response to throttle. But just the same, while the engine noise was not obtrusive, it clearly was working at highway speeds. I also think I’d get tired of staring at the LCD’s after about 10 minutes of driving. Less is more. But it had lots of interesting textures, soft surfaces, etc. [Only tested as it was a possible car for my wife, who does lots of rural slower-speed driving; I’d get her Camry. However, while it’d work for her, the larger Prius was easily a better fit—but at a price range we were not interested in.] I have nothing against the car, but I drive 90%+ highway, and it’s just not a good fit.

Hopped into a 2015 Corolla S, so as to try the six speed manual—I had indicated a preference going in for a manual trans car in a base model, and the low trim L and upper trim S have the manual, but not the mid-range LE (and no stickshift L’s on the lot). I have to say, I like the clutch and the transmission better than my Camry’s setup, although they both share the same problem: fifth and six are simply too close together. But the Corolla was more enjoyable to row through than the Camry, and I thought the split between fifth and sixth was a bit bigger than my Camry’s. Being an S I don’t know if they did anything else different, nor did I care (after economy here, and that includes insurance costs, tire costs, etc).

Finally, the sales woman dug through the system, and turned up a unicorn: 2013 Corolla L with a 5spd manual. Get this: power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, stickshift, no cruise… and it was originally a lease. ? Anyhow, drove that, and I have to say, I preferred it over the 2015. The 2015 has the edge in NVH but loses me on exterior looks and more importantly, interior looks (have to look at that for the duration of any drive, after all). Plus every reviewer out there simply pans Corolla, no matter what vintage, so its competition must be that much better. Anyhow, clearly the 5spd was faster than the automatic; but it also revs slightly higher on the highway. Clutch was not what I’d call “fun”, and the gearshift a bit rubbery; but it avoids the faux sixth gear. I’d call it a tossup between automatic and stick: neither is fun, one is easier to drive (and slower to accelerate) while the other will do better on mpg. For an appliance I can see why auto wins most of the time. Either case, due to engine/road noise, I’d say I found myself not wanting to drive past 70; very much struck me as vehicles that you get up to 65 and hit cruise.

Clearly the previous gen Corolla is a bit of a penalty box on the highway; at 70 there is no mistaking that you attempted to save money by getting this over a Camry. Hopping back into my Camry to head home reminded me of that point. Below 70 I thought the noise ok; and it certainly was not a droning noise like the basest Versa I drove last week. It’s hard to get much out of a simple 5 minute blast down the highway. With the reviews over with now I can’t remember how much quieter the new gen is on the highway; I bet it is better, but since I didn’t write down my thoughts each time… shame on me. Honestly, I might be tempted by this 5spd Corolla, ‘cept for the fact it simply has not depreciated for a 3 year old car that is now a generation behind. I don’t think it is worth paying extra to go new (not to me) but I could see how for others it would be.

over $14k. Since msrp had been 17.5k, I find myself saying, nope, does not matter how good, just not a good value. Not for three years, 42k, and a generation behind. The 2012 auto was $13k. let's be real, each had seen three or four salty NH winters, so another strike.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
If I may ask, what were they asking for the '13?

I agree...both prices are pretty stiff. That is what I'm finding looking at similar vehicles. The used market is very very strong, while it seems that dealers and manufacturers are throwing every incentive possible at the new-car buyer.

Probably almost no one on this forum will agree, but I always liked the '03-'08 generation Corolla. It was definitely an appliance, but an appliance with soul. Sort of. It was no sports car, but if you pushed it, it responded with plenty of oomph to pass or merge.

Maybe it's because I've had three friends who owned Corollas of that gen, none of whom was fanatical about maintenance; none ever had a problem apart from wear items. I mean 'never' as far as I know.

Plan to hang on to the Saturn till it falls apart, by which time I can comfortably afford a higher-end car. If that does not work out, a gently used Corolla could be next....

No stickshift L's? Grumble.

My sister searched high and low, in Texas, for a stick shift base Versa. At the time the outgoing year had some sticks and the new model only had (renault) CVTs. She dealt with salesmen who tried obfuscating wordplay that "the standard transmission is an automatic" then
09.gif

Toyota has regional middlemen who make money and deal with the ordering and allocations to dealers. (And, I assume, your dealer doesn't want the base stripper stick shifts so as to not "confuse" the customer.) IDK how far out of NY/New England you'd have to travel to escape this or if you'd have any better luck in Ohio or the Mid-Atlantic. My NC born-and-raised Cavalier had no rear window defroster, mandatory equipment up here.

Yep. I dislike new Toyota styling but--puts on flame suit and ducks--like the prior stuff. And that includes non-Toyota too.

Geez, I sound like the old folks I heard back in the 80's.

I've driven a couple of Corollas which handled well for a "taller narrower" style car but both had larger wheels and good tires...at least one size up and aspect ratio down. One, with 15 inch wheels had received V6 Camry front brakes as well. When you keep a car a long time such tweaks are worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No stickshift L's? Grumble.

My sister searched high and low, in Texas, for a stick shift base Versa. At the time the outgoing year had some sticks and the new model only had (renault) CVTs. She dealt with salesmen who tried obfuscating wordplay that "the standard transmission is an automatic" then
09.gif

Toyota has regional middlemen who make money and deal with the ordering and allocations to dealers. (And, I assume, your dealer doesn't want the base stripper stick shifts so as to not "confuse" the customer.) IDK how far out of NY/New England you'd have to travel to escape this or if you'd have any better luck in Ohio or the Mid-Atlantic. My NC born-and-raised Cavalier had no rear window defroster, mandatory equipment up here.

Yeah, I ought to look out of region next, good point. I've test driven, so I should be set to buy sight unseen.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yep. I dislike new Toyota styling but--puts on flame suit and ducks--like the prior stuff. And that includes non-Toyota too.

Geez, I sound like the old folks I heard back in the 80's.

I have a '10 Civic. It has the multi level dash and LED readouts. Digital speedometer and digital temp/fuel gauge readouts. Radio is buttons and knobs as is the heater. I don't like nor love it. It conveys information like an appliance should.
28.gif

If you're interested, swing by machaikford.com in Houston. He's got manual trannie Fiestas and Focus' ( Foci?) in stock. First Fiesta up was a base sedan 5 speed for $13,780 after rebates and discounts. He has quite a few of them too. Just a thought....

How picky is the wife with cars? Some women are particular, some will drive anything. If she doesn't care as long as it's reliable she might be happy in a Corolla.

If you get a Corolla, make sure you get it the way you like it. You're going to have it a long time. My Corolla runs very well. I routinely drive it 80+mph and it goes very well. Frankly, I'm shocked how well it drives with as many miles as it has. Very few repairs. You can pan its styling or handling or whatever but if you need a car to get you from point A to point B for a long time without drama, it's one of the best cars you can buy. Great gas mileage for the size of car. I can still get 40mpg highway if I drove a little slower.

I recommended my brother in law purchase a 90k 2008ish Corolla S manual for $9k he found a few years back.

100k latter it has required brakes/tires and achieves nearly 40MPG. He is a very happy camper who commutes 35miles each way to work.

Interestingly the nice car in their family is a 2014 TDI wagon 6mt.

The Corolla L with manual looks like a really good value, if it isn't the most fun to drive.

Personally I think the Fiesta is a more entertaining car.

I question the long-term reliability of a Fiesta. The Corolla on the other hand, I imagine I would be begging for it to explode after 250k+ miles.

Supton - great write up! A question though, you guys still get the Corolla with a 4 speed auto, or was that a typo? Since (I think) 2012, we get the choice of CVT or 6 speed manual.

The new Corolla has a very nice interior and exterior.

If looking for a point A to B gas sipping vehicle, I would get a base Corolla with Wheel covers and 6 speed manual for under $18,000

Originally Posted By: hpb
Supton - great write up! A question though, you guys still get the Corolla with a 4 speed auto, or was that a typo? Since (I think) 2012, we get the choice of CVT or 6 speed manual.

No, 4spd is *still* available on the base model. But the CVT is now available too on the next level up. I thought about trying that, but kinda ran out of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back