Stuck ignition key/lock help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I had started my 1993 Ford F-350 to turn the wheels to one side to grease fittings. Shut it off and went to re-start to do the other side and the lock is stuck (key won't turn). Now what? I noticed there is an access panel underneath but never messed with ignition/locks before. Thanks for advise!

Try turning the steering wheel as you turn the key. It may be putting enough pressure on the lock that you can't turn the key.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Try turning the steering wheel as you turn the key. It may be putting enough pressure on the lock that you can't turn the key.
Tried that, steering wheel locked. Thanks

Maybe jack up the entire front end? You've got weight of some sort binding up your lock mechanism. I'm with AndPan.

spray wd-40 into the lock cylinder and put the key in and out a few times then put the key in and turn the wheel back and forth hard while turning the key both ways hard (not to break the key) also as you are turning the wheel it should loosen up and go back to normal. very common problem and easy to replace.

I try those suggestions thanks...I think the tumblers could be messed up. I can pull the key out and spin the outside chrome part of the lock.

I'd still think that your steering column is locked, but if it is truly frozen, just get a new cylinder. You may get it unlocked, but it will lock up again eventually. Plus its probably time in a truck that old

to get that cylinder out you have to get it to turn and depress a pin and it slides out .. If you cant get it to turn it has to be drilled.

Yeah I can spin the outside chrome on my F150. It's a stick shift and some hoser before me yanked the key out instead of using the stupid little lever to release it. If you rotate the chrome 180 degrees it's "slightly different" and you might have a better shot, as you may also have by inserting the key upside down. So, four combos.
wink.gif

I pulled the plastic cover off the bottom of the lock area and noticed the insert to release the lock...that is stuck too. Tried every combination possible with the key WD 40 etc....jacking up the front end next to get the pressure off. Thanks everyone.

Don't know much about this particular Ford but had a Nissan with an ignition that wouldn't turn if the park switch locking thingy was engaged. So, if the car wasn't in park wouldn't allow you to move the key. After replacing two ignition switches realized that was the culprit. An FYI in case Ford has something similar on that year.

Stay electronic cleaner and remove the gunk. Then spray silicone lubricant to get the lubrication back up. I do that on my autos for years and it has been trouble free. Also keep the number of keys on the hanging off the ignition, all non-car keys are to be held in a separate bunch of keys to reduce the stress on the main ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back