Bosch 3312 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this run of the mill Bosch 3312 for $10k using Havoline sun 5w20. Vehicle was 2011 Kia Soul, 89k on the odo. This run was mostly highway miles, last OCI was Dec 2014. No tears in the media whatsoever, and almost no grit to be found in the can. The drain valve was very pliable. As I began the disection I was expecting way worse to be honest. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how the filter held up for being a basic filter.

This OCI I installed 50/50 Havoline syn and Pennzoil Platinum( both 5w20), along with a Napa Platinum filter. I did the 50/50 oil mix just so I could use up what I had on hand.

Pretty dang good I think. Not that I want to do it again necessarily.

image3.jpg.html
image4.jpg.html
image2.jpg.html
IMG_0629.jpg.html
image1.jpg.html

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
$10k is very expensive run
smile.gif
j/k.

Doh! What can I say…….I'm an accountant and it's a reflex.

I use those Bosch filters and they are not simply a "basic" filter. They are a decent filter and use a synthetic media. I've been very satisfied with them. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I use those Bosch filters and they are not simply a "basic" filter. They are a decent filter and use a synthetic media. I've been very satisfied with them. Thanks for posting!
Nope, not in the Bosch Premium, or even the Distance Plus, just a blend. Have to go to the (somewhat rare) Bosch Long Life to get full synthetic media. I haven't torn a DP or Premium myself, but some others have torn the Premium media.

I don't know what media is supposed to feel like but I did notice it wasn't very pliable when I was inspecting it after use. It wasn't torn at all but when I pressed my thumb into it did tear with some medium pressure. I figured that was normal since it's paper after all.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I don't know what media is supposed to feel like but I did notice it wasn't very pliable when I was inspecting it after use. It wasn't torn at all but when I pressed my thumb into it did tear with some medium pressure. I figured that was normal since it's paper after all.

That is one of the factors on why the Purolator/made by filters tear. The media doesn't seem to take much force on it to make it start tearing. So when you combine that with widely spaced out pleats near the seam, the force of the oil flowing through those pleats puts some side force on them and they can eventually tear.

Hey look a Purolator made filter with no tears.
cool.gif

Chock that up as one more win for the home team.
thumbsup2.gif

Filter looks good OP, thanks for the cut and post.
01.gif

Im not sure I would have gone 10k, but hey it worked for you!

Last edited:
As much as I wasn't sure what to expect from the filter itself, I was really curious as to if there was any sludge, or if there would be a ton of dirt caked on the pleats, etc, knowing there was 10k on it. Obviously none of that was to be. The oil wasn't pitch black either.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
cool.gif

thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

For every puro win that you want to claim there is at least two puro fails that you will deny. But any how this filter looks well for a 10k oci but then again it should, [censored] any premium filter should look well for 10k. If a mid tier fram,or wix can then this one shouldn't be an issue.

Is this filter in the "premium" class? I thought it was your garden variety mid tier filter. Based on some of the posts folks seem like they worry about this filter doing 5k, much less 10k.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Originally Posted By: jk_636
cool.gif

thumbsup2.gif

01.gif

For every puro win that you want to claim there is at least two puro fails that you will deny. But any how this filter looks well for a 10k oci but then again it should, [censored] any premium filter should look well for 10k. If a mid tier fram,or wix can then this one shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah sure.

You may want to recheck your math.

There are plenty that dont fail. Apparently this is the only argument your camp has in their bag of tricks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Only guy in a "camp" anymore is you.
eek.gif
grin.gif

Yeah whatever, sure. I am not going to argue with you, I just consider the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back