10k OCI filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I target my OCI at 10-15k (10k for simple reminder). Veh 1: 2010 Ford Escape 3.0L 80% highway, Veh 2: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5, 50% highway; both NorCal, light to mod dust. I've been using mobile 1 filters for the ford and napa gold & wix for the Subaru at 7k, but I've figured I'm just wasting my $$ on the change when the oil can go 15k fine (mobil 1 ep). Research is pointing to Frame's extended guard, Bosch Distance Plus, Royal Purple, and Amsoil all being able to make 10-15k, but I wanted to double check this and make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm wanting to use Purolator PureOne on the Ford and Royal Purple on the Subaru...I'd take pureone on both, but I can't order it anywhere due to availability...don't know if anyone knows why. Anyhow, is the PureOne capable of at least 10k and can some of you confirm the rest or add any? I'm planning on doing the oil check, but wanted to baseline a new filter and have one that I know will be safe to go that high. Thanks for your help, and thanks to those who posted the feedback on the oil in the other forum.

Are these cartridge style or spin-on style filters for these vehicles? I'd stay away from Purolators due to the tearing issues going on. If the Fram Ultra is available for them, really can't beat the performance and OCI duration (up to 15K miles) for their price.

Fram Tough Guard is rated for 10,000 miles, Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles. Most filters have plenty of headroom for holding capacity if your engine is healthy and not abused.

I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.

I use Purolator synthetic filters (good for the 10k~ish range) and Royal Purple (good for 15k~ish and beyond) for extended OCI.

I would not use the pureone for that long, but that is just my opinion. I use them for the 5k~ish range.

I would seriously recommend the RP filters. They have the highest efficiency of any other off the shelf filter and the can is built like a tank.

Pretty soon I will be posting some more pics of the filters above that I used and cut. Take a look. They are both great filters but that RP is definitely the King

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Are these cartridge style or spin-on style filters for these vehicles? I'd stay away from Purolators due to the tearing issues going on. If the Fram Ultra is available for them, really can't beat the performance and OCI duration (up to 15K miles) for their price.

I read about that issue, but don't recall which one and haven't read any other than the one post with the photos and just a few replies.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I use Purolator synthetic filters (good for the 10k~ish range) and Royal Purple (good for 15k~ish and beyond) for extended OCI.

I would not use the pureone for that long, but that is just my opinion. I use them for the 5k~ish range.

I would seriously recommend the RP filters. They have the highest efficiency of any other off the shelf filter and the can is built like a tank.

Pretty soon I will be posting some more pics of the filters above that I used and cut. Take a look. They are both great filters but that RP is definitely the King

Thank you for pointing me to the right Purolator filter...I totally looked at the wrong filter and need to get the right one. I wish I had a good picture on how they performed against the RP without the RB bias. Thanks again!

RP = King of expensive.
grin.gif

RP = King of expensive.
grin.gif

Price spread of $2 between all the filters I've found for one of the vehicles...I won't save much on that. Oil itself is a different story.

Fram Ultra filter can go 15k miles and has excellent specs. Pick up two and use the rebates on the Fram website to get $2 back on each one.

If you want a filter with a valve relief pressure equal to the OE Subaru filter, then you'll have to get the Wix for the Outback (I believe it's filter 57712). It should be able to go 10k miles, I'm currently using it and my next oil change will be around 7,500 miles and I'm not worried about it.

They do?

From the Royal Purple Website:

Royal Purple manufactures only one type of oil filter – the super-premium Extended Life Oil Filter, designed and engineered to match superior particle removal with optimized flow for maximum engine protection and filter life. Built smarter and stronger, Royal Purple synthetic oil filters continuously outperform in the toughest conditions.

SUPERIOR FILTRATION
The 100% synthetic micro-glass media we use to make Extended Life filters provides superior particle removal – with 99% filtration efficiency at as small as 25 microns. The difference between Royal Purple and conventional oil filters is staggering.

Even a P1 can do better than that (when it does not tear).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

SUPERIOR FILTRATION
The 100% synthetic micro-glass media we use to make Extended Life filters provides superior particle removal – with 99% filtration efficiency at as small as 25 microns. The difference between Royal Purple and conventional oil filters is staggering.

The full synthetic RP is probably closer to the Purolator Classic's efficiency (97.5% @ 20 microns).

Just as an FYI, today I swapped out a standard Bosch filter with 10k on it that was run on synthetic oil, the filter looked perfectly fine. I wouldn't say all filters would have the same result, but it does lead me to believe that I think we tend to underestimate what oil and filters can do. You can see pics over in the filter section of you're interested.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
SUPERIOR FILTRATION

The full synthetic RP is probably closer to the Purolator Classic's efficiency (97.5% @ 20 microns).
If true it means there are many other filters that are equal to or better than the RP filter...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Any low cost filter can last 10K miles.

Premium filters 15K + miles.

Correct. I have been doing this for 37 years with good results. Presently I use MC filters for 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.

Exacty correct!
Unless the oil gets tested for fuel and coolant contamination, I would never trust the oil over 7-8K in a 5+ year-old vehicle.

RP = King of expensive.
grin.gif

You get what you pay for. There is a reason why all their products are expensive...they are worth it.

As for the efficiency, the last brochure I saw said 99% @ 20 microns. Not sure when that changed, either way it is equivalent to other high end synthetic filters.

OP if you have not done so already, check out the quick video on RP filters. It is ridiculous how well they are built.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-oil-filters/

^^^ The Fram Ultra does the same if not better than the RP at less the cost, and is built just as stout. As others have pointed out, the RP efficiency isn't anything to brag about for a full synthetic filter.

^^^ The Fram Ultra does the same if not better than the RP at less the cost, and is built just as stout. As others have pointed out, the RP efficiency isn't anything to brag about for a full synthetic filter.

Bull corn. Blinded by your allegiance to the Frampire.

Everything about the RP filter is superior. Thicker can, more filter media, the list goes on and on. Besides Frams claim of filter efficiency (which judging by Frams advertising is something I believe may be a sham) everything about it is inferior to the RP.

I can't wait until this OCI is over so I can cut and post an FU next to an RP.

The pictures will speak for themselves.

^^^ LoL ... Blinded by your hate for Fram.

Everything about the RP filter is superior. Thicker can, more filter media, the list goes on and on. Besides Frams claim of filter efficiency (which judging by Frams advertising is something I believe may be a sham) everything about it is inferior to the RP.

Wrong ... as usual.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back