Using Permatex Sealant On Transmission Pan Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my 96 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 with the 4 speed automatic transmission the pan always seems to leak. The dealer says no gasket is needed and my brother which had a trans shop for years until last year when he sold it said you can go either way. i tried using no gasket and it leaked i tried using a gasket without any sealant and that also leaked... Now im trying permatex ultra black with a gasket anyone have any luck with that or should i use something else. We do engines and never have these problems.
Last resort will be indian head sealant or fly my brother back from Florida...lol... Anyone with a better idea?

I'm not good enough with silicone sealant to use it without a gasket.

I've had good success with gaskets sprayed with the tacky red Permatex aerosol spray.

They say little RTV worms can get sucked into the trans. I'd be very very careful not to overapply.

Some dodges do use RTV, I'm not sure which ones.

Iv used the permatex sealant but only use it to keep the gasket in place. Most times leaking is only due to over tightening or under.

Also for what it's worth iv noticed on a few occasions after a week or so the bolts can come slightly loose so it's not a bad idea to snug them back up after a week or so.

Last edited:
I would hope the filter will catch anything that may break loose but after around 200,000 miles on the original trans i will have no problem having it totally rebuilt for $800.00 it still runs great and looks good and is a good work van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back