CV Joint Boot Clamp Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some suggestions
2005 Toyota Camry V6, 105,000 miles
Left inner CV joint boot leaking at large end clamp. It just started in last 5000 mile.
Don't know how much grease leaked.
I find no problems with the boot.
No noise or vibration.

1. Should I just replace clamp, add some grease, and clean up greasy mess and see what happens?
2. Replace complete cv axle? If so what Brands / New or rebuild would be good a choice?

amount of grease inside the inner joint is not important, unless you've lost over 1/3 or 1/2 of it (judging by your description, this is unlikely)

wipe clean the contact area where the larger boot lip meets the joint area, inspect to ensure no tears, rips, or cracks.

Install a new boot clamp and tighten it accordingly.

Q.

I have successfully used 2 hose clamps mated as close to evenly opposed as practical to replace the big end clamp on BMW half shafts
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I don't think I lost a lot of grease.
A couple tablespoons of grease slinging from axle makes a big mess quick.

just carefully re-clamp it, clean up the mess and call it the day.

Don't get too obsessed over that couple of grams of grease fling'ed out. I'd be more concerned over the original grease (still within, assuming not contaminated by other foreign objects such as debris, moisture, incompatible grease type, etc.)

I always resort to using proper CV boot bands when doing CV boots.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
I don't think I lost a lot of grease.
A couple tablespoons of grease slinging from axle makes a big mess quick.

Think it is messy now, try replacing the boot. I did it once and have since relied on shafts with good boots on them that I harvest from parts cars

Quote:
just carefully re-clamp it, clean up the mess and call it the day.

Don't get too obsessed over that couple of grams of grease fling'ed out. I'd be more concerned over the original grease (still within, assuming not contaminated by other foreign objects such as debris, moisture, incompatible grease type, etc.)

I always resort to using proper CV boot bands when doing CV boots.

Q.

Bingo.

I have wrestled with this many times with many cars.

Sounds like what you lost is minimal. I'd wipe it up and do this:

1) take a small screw driver and pry up the existing band, start clipping it with small wire cutters/diagonal cutters.

2) re-clamp it with this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...7291_0303028437

These are easy to clamp w/ dikes/side cutters, no special tools required. Make sure the diameter is correct; there is some play in the specs.

For a $1.53 it's worth the time.

I have tried stainless steel zip ties, regular zip ties, etc. on CV boots. These work and are not expensive, and do not require special application tools.

If you feel your joint has lost too much grease, you can add some under the boot with a needle adapter on a grease gun - but as said, the inner joint is much less critical and not worth sweating unless it has split and really puked out it's contents.

I would leave it alone. You said everything looks intact, so I doubt you lost much grease. With the proper crimper, you could try sinching it up. I fixed a broken clamp 4 years ago with a HEAVY tie rap. I added the proper CV grease to replace what was lost and used a HEAVY tie rap(the ones with the metal clip) and the joint has not leaked at all after four years.

Last edited:
I used 2 equal sized hose clamps tightened down evenly one time. One of the last jobs I did on my first 528e was to swap out an axle. A CV joint started banging at 330 K miles.
grin2.gif

Well I got it jacked up higher and the tire off to see a whole lot better.
Lots of grease with sling pattern at end of boot / clamp.
I could scarp up 1/3+ cup of grease easily. More went on the road etc.
Turned axle and found no tears in boot. Clamp appears and feels tight. Weird.

I thinking I better put and new Half Shaft Axle in now.

Any suggestion on where to buy one or which ones to stay away from?

I like using OEM Toyota parts most of the time. Toyota quoted $461 and one week to get it in. Oh me.

Sometimes grease will leak past the clamp even when it's tight. If it were mine I'd reclamp it and keep an eye on it, and replace the boot if the leak continued after reclamping.

Why would you change the whole shaft? Even changing the joint is overkill for a leaking boot on an otherwise silent and still almost fully greased joint.
Only spend money where you have to
wink.gif

I agree that a reboot with new clamps is the best choice, unless you want to spend big money on a good axle or take a gamble with a parts store axle.

I would be surprised if the joint is bad at this point.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Why would you change the whole shaft?

Because new shafts are cheaper than replacement boots and banding tools.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Olas
Why would you change the whole shaft?

Because new shafts are cheaper than replacement boots and banding tools.

This is an exaggeration.

Add in the questionable quality of cheap reman shafts and re-booting is a good option in many cases.

$10 and you guys suggestions I may have it fixed.

I left the axle on the car. Removed large end band that appeared to be leaking.
Pulled boot back. Not a lot of grease in the joint.
Grease was clean and no indication of water or contamination.
Boot look good inside and out.

I added new grease from CV grease bag thing.
Install new CV band.

Drove about 15 miles and no leaks.

If it don't work out I am out $10....Time will tell.

Thanks Guys!

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
If you feel your joint has lost too much grease, you can add some under the boot with a needle adapter on a grease gun - but as said, the inner joint is much less critical and not worth sweating unless it has split and really puked out it's contents.

I noticed the right inner CV joint on the Olds has puked a bunch of grease, about two fistfuls. Actually its kinda weird, its all gobbed up on the chassis under the boot area and not flung about but I don't see any obvious failure of the boot. Recently replaced the left side half shaft due to boot failure a few years back and progressively worsening vibration, which was a HUGE (maybe 90%) improvement. Still has a very light shimmy on acceleration, though, and I wonder if its not that right side starting to act up. Probably should just through a reman shaft in there when it gets bad but the BITOG'er in me wants to pull the old one earlier to stick some fresh grease in it; worth it or wasted effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back