Royal Purple HPS vs Redline Synthetic Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Which of these 2 oils have better film strength under severe driving conditions?

Film strength again? What are you using these high performance oils in where film strength is causing this obsession? Which weights are you comparing?

I think if you just find a proper oil with HTHSV in the range you're looking for, everything will be okay.

A small nissan 4 cyl truck with 240k miles,pulling a fully loaded lawn trailer, in stop and go traffic, in the florida heat. I want to use an oil that I can count on 100% knowing it's the most kick a$$ oil money can buy!

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Film strength again? What are you using these high performance oils in where film strength is causing this obsession? Which weights are you comparing?

I think if you just find a proper oil with HTHSV in the range you're looking for, everything will be okay.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
A small nissan 4 cyl truck with 240k miles,pulling a fully loaded lawn trailer, in stop and go traffic, in the florida heat. I want to use an oil that I can count on 100% knowing it's the most kick a$$ oil money can buy!

QSHM 25W60. There is your answer.

So what you are saying is not very severe service?

That's not what I consider severe service.
Go a grade thicker if your concerned.
Redline is my favorite brand of oil and hps is also a great product however in your case I'd use whatever is on sale.

Which of these 2 oils have better film strength under severe driving conditions?

Why are you using this parameter to choose between competing oils? As far as I'm concerned HPS and Red Line aren't even a perfect fit as competitors. If I want something thicker in the grade, I'd choose Red Line. If I wanted something that was more customarily in line with normal PCMO HTHS, I'd do the HPS.

I think you'd be better off worrying about the transmission and gear oils. Save your money and use Mobil 1 10w-40 HM. Film strength will be just fine.

I think you'd be better off worrying about the transmission and gear oils. Save your money and use Mobil 1 10w-40 HM. Film strength will be just fine.

Exactly b

Film strength is redundant if the oil temps never elevate beyond normal. The oem spec is more than adequate unless you are looking at 250f oil temps,then possibly you may want to go a grade thicker.
If you're that concerned add a can of mos2 and never worry about oil film again.

10W40 Mobil1 High Mileage would be my choice with a NAPA Gold filter.

As Bandito440 said, whats in the trans/diff??

I just have factory fluids in the man trans,and the differential. I will put redline in those 2 areas to maximize things.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
10W40 Mobil1 High Mileage would be my choice with a NAPA Gold filter.

As Bandito440 said, whats in the trans/diff??

Go with RP HPS or if you really want the best protection, step up to the XPR line.

Either is a good choice. RP is an outstanding oil and their lines that contain synerlec are even better.

Why do you think I should go with RP instead of RL ?

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Go with RP HPS or if you really want the best protection, step up to the XPR line.

Either is a good choice. RP is an outstanding oil and their lines that contain synerlec are even better.

Why do you think I should go with RP instead of RL ?

Originally Posted By: jk_636

He's a fanboi and all posts are suspect.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Clevy
He's a fanboi and all posts are suspect.

And I'd be wary of using the XPR series in a street vehicle.

Agreed. That line isn't for long or even standard drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back