Stealership or Reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My Corolla has just ticked up to 55k miles, due to my now longer commute moving further away from work to buy as opposed to rent.

I've been going to the dealer every 5k for service, since their prices have been reasonable (at least on oil changes), but today I got hit with two whoppers, I'm wondering if everyone here could help shed some light.

For disclosure, they charge an hourly rate of $110/hr

1. Water pump & Drive Belt (3 hours, $590 parts and labor)
2. Front brake "service" (1.5 hours, $180). This one is probably my fault, but something IS wrong with the brakes, I get significant shaking on the highway only when I brake, even if lightly. They said the pads/rotors are fine, so I am lost as to what this service includes.

So, Is this reasonable pricing for each service, or should I hunt down an indie mechanic to do it cheaper? What should I expect to pay if so?

Does anyone have suggestions on what this brake service may be, and what else I could do? I'm not opposed to paying if I have to, I just don't want to pay the stealership prices if they are indeed inflated.

Also, 55k seems fairly low milage for a water pump to go bad...

Thanks all!

I think those Corollas have a timing belt, not a timing chain. Anywhere between 60-75k miles is time to replace the timing belt. Usually you replace the water pump when you do the belt.

Those prices don't seem bad to me, especially for a dealership. One thing to ask: does that include new rotors or just a resurface? I'm very leery of resurfacing small car rotors, they don't have much material on them to begin with. You could do the brake job yourself with new rotors for under $100. You'll also want to get a brake bleed done if it has never been done.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I think those Corollas have a timing belt, not a timing chain. Anywhere between 60-75k miles is time to replace the timing belt. Usually you replace the water pump when you do the belt.

2011 Toyota Corolla uses a chain.

I would be very surprised if a 4 y/o car with only 55K needed a new water pump (or serp. belt for that matter).

The brake service seems fair enough if it includes pads, and rotor turning.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

Those prices don't seem bad to me, especially for a dealership. One thing to ask: does that include new rotors or just a resurface? I'm very leery of resurfacing small car rotors, they don't have much material on them to begin with. You could do the brake job yourself with new rotors for under $100. You'll also want to get a brake bleed done if it has never been done.

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm the 2ZR-FE in this has a timing chain, so this must be the serpentine belt.

Good news, however, is that according to the Toyota rep I just spoke to, this is covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

So it looks like its just onto the brakes as being an issue now (though any additional feedback as to why a water pump is leaking at 55k is appreciated). There's unfortunately no description on the printout they gave me as to what they would do.

"FRONT BRAKE SERVICE: PADS ARE OK AT THIS TIME, NEEDS SERVICE DUE TO VIBRATION" - $180.

^That's all I've got. I imagine for 1.5 hours of labor, there's likely to be some resurfacing going on, since adjustments can't take that long (at least not on THIS kind of car)

I just did a complete front brake job this morning on my Honda Fit, I used Canadian Tire Certified Rotors because they looked just like Wagner. They were 25$ a piece.

I used Bendix GG pads I got at Rock Auto, they were like 30$ IIRC.

I did it with ALL the trimmings, anti-seize, torque wrenches, good silicone lube on the sliders, blue Anti-Squeal on the backs of the pads and UNDER the shims as well, and let them fully dry.

But, it took me like 4 hours because I have to load the car with all my tools and be sure to not forget anything because I have to do the work near a rail yard on a dead end street.

So, dealers are SUPER pricey, but if you can't do the work yourself it is a bit involved.

I gravity bled the brakes when I was done, job turned out great.

If the pad is more than 50% life left then resurface/replace rotor is likely to fix the vibration problem.

My mechanic charges $50 to remove/resurface/reinstall rotors and test drive. He charge the same $50 for replace rotors.

Since rotors are fairly thin for newer cars, resurface rotor may bring it to less than minimum thickness. New rotor can be purchased for less than $100/pair, this may be better than resurface 50k miles old rotors.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the pad is more than 50% life left then resurface/replace rotor is likely to fix the vibration problem.

My mechanic charges $50 to remove/resurface/reinstall rotors and test drive. He charge the same $50 for replace rotors.

Since rotors are fairly thin for newer cars, resurface rotor may bring it to less than minimum thickness. New rotor can be purchased for less than $100/pair, this may be better than resurface 50k miles old rotors.

That makes sense, if the cost is all the same, it does seem like a better option to go with replacement. I think I will find an independent place to do it. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic Monday-Friday, 75 min each way, so this isn't a surprise that the brakes need some work. I can leave the rears for now, since they're drums on this car, and they seem to be fine.

I've already got the water pump work booked for warranty-covered service a week from today.

Apparently the Toyota 1.8 liter, combined with pink SLLC coolant, has a tendency towards seeping water pump seals. There's 2 in my family, an '06 & '07 Matrix, no seepage yet-but I've read it's likely. Your vibration is warped rotors-I wouldn't have them turned, because they'll be thinner & MORE likely to warp in the future. Find an indy or even another BITOGer to put some good aftermarket rotors & pads on it, you'll be good to go!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Apparently the Toyota 1.8 liter, combined with pink SLLC coolant, has a tendency towards seeping water pump seals. There's 2 in my family, an '06 & '07 Matrix, no seepage yet-but I've read it's likely. Your vibration is warped rotors-I wouldn't have them turned, because they'll be thinner & MORE likely to warp in the future. Find an indy or even another BITOGer to put some good aftermarket rotors & pads on it, you'll be good to go!

Very interesting. I read another post online wondering the same thing, re: the pink SLLC fluid causing premature failures.

Do you think I should have them drain and fill with the red LLC fluid when they do the pump?

I think I am definitely going to go with new pads & rotors in the front by some indy shop, it sounds like this resurfacing/turning is not a good idea according to most, and the cost difference is negligible.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: smc733

I think I am definitely going to go with new pads & rotors in the front by some indy shop, it sounds like this resurfacing/turning is not a good idea according to most, and the cost difference is negligible.

Thanks!

Great idea. I'm turned off by the quote just reading "brake service" and not naming parts.

They subsidize the oil changes by going over your car with a many-point inspection. This has its high- and low-lights.

Call Toyota about your warranty. Typically powertrain covers failed water pumps......

Your car has a 5yr/60k on it for powertrain.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Call Toyota about your warranty. Typically powertrain covers failed water pumps......

Your car has a 5yr/60k on it for powertrain.

This was mentioned earlier and then he stated that it is scheduled under warranty work for a week from today.

Last edited:
4 year old car with 55k miles should not need a water pump or a serpentine belt. And if it does, would it not be covered under warranty?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
4 year old car with 55k miles should not need a water pump or a serpentine belt. And if it does, would it not be covered under warranty?

After calling Toyota, it is indeed covered under the 60 month/60k mile powertrain warranty. Some chat on the internet about this issue seems to indicate that they are replacing the water pumps with a new part number. This could be a minor revision and it is unrelated, but if not, hopefully it means a better/improved part.

Ask the indy shop you choose to inspect the fronts. Evaluate their recommendations and then decide if you want to go with new rotors, or not. Don't go into the shop saying you need new brakes, etc, because you will get them. Let the shop do a evaluation first, to either validate the dealer statements, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back