This could be interesting - Africa Twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parallel twins seem to be suffering a bit of a resurgence, though 1000cc seems fairly large. (It is called a CRF1000L, so we can assume its close to 1000cc)

I'm intrigued by the DCT which is rumored to be available (yes I know its already out there in the NC700).

I can't see it not offering some sort of luggage, there are already some people saying the rear grab rails and foot pegs appear to offer similar attachment points to existing offerings. I also imagine there will be aftermarket offerings.

whistle.gif

Last edited:
Typical of Honda to be late to the game with a boring bike. I guarantee it will be a heavy pig, probably coming in close to 600-650lbs with gas and boxes. BMW owns this class of Adventure Bikes with KTM coming in a close second. This Africa Twin appears to be a lesser version of the Yamaha Super Tenere....which we have had for 4-5 years.

a fairly smart move by Honda in regards to this bike..{with the dct could be rather portly}..considering the bizarre lineup of bikes Honda has right now as long as its not too expensive compared to the bimmer and monster ktm

Nice ride Silk.

My mate had a XLV750R in the 90's. It was the model before the XRV750 Africa Twin. He said it (XLV) was like riding a camel. All height and hump, very reliable but not classy. I think I liked it more than he did. A 750cc air cooled V-twin with a shaft drive,a large tank and no faring. Honda also had the XL600V TransAlp out at about the same time. It was a liquid cooled 600cc V-twin with chain drive. The XRV also had a chain drive, liquid cooling and I think twin spark plugs.

Let us not forget the Suzuki DR Big 750S of about the same time. Which was a massive 750 single.

In standard form, they were all a little heavy and under powered. But this could be easily improved with a lighter and less restrictive exhaust, and a bit of carb work.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Atesz792
So you over there never did get the 'original' legendary Africa Twin?

No, we didn't get the legendary Africa Twin. Honda didn't import many "type R" cars into North America either. Honda thinks that we don't deserve high performance cars and bikes.

NHTSA FMVSS CARB and EPA also had their invisible hands shaping the market. Honda finally outsmarted them perhaps.

Don't know MSRP but if it's 50% less than KTM they will sell many of them.
When Howley got that 750 cc tariff they wanted the Japanese started selling a LOT of 749 cc bikes.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Has anything been said about price? I would assume it would be similar to the Super Tenere?

Not for the US officially - AFAIK.

Speculation is rampant though.

There is also a "STD" model and a DCT model, but I don't know if the DCT is the only difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back