2015 Indianapolis 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it fun I'll give the whole race day.
Lewis Hamilton
Helio Castroneves
Kurt Busch

Originally Posted By: dave123
Make it fun I'll give the whole race day.
Lewis Hamilton
Helio Castroneves
Kurt Busch

I really hope Helio gets his 4th win tomorrow. It would give him the chance to become the only 5 time winner. He's getting on in his career, and of all the guys out there he deserves it the most. He is without question one of the nicest, most respectful guys in racing. Win or lose, you rarely see him without a smile on his face.

Hard to bet against Dixon from pole and Kannan right behind him. I like Pagenaud from the Penske stable. But I want Sage Karam to win. 9th last year as a 19 YO rookie. Big "appendages". He will get to the front with his Gannasi teammates early in the race.

Watch for another bonehead move by Will Power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A female. It will give this sport the media attention it needs.

You had that with Danica. She turned out to be a temperamental, crashing, little bore. She only won a single race in her whole career, even though she always had good equipment. And the only reason she won in Japan is because Castroneves ran out of gas. It's not like she out drove the guy.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Every single female ever put in an Indy car has been a PR stunt, plain and simple.

Very true. They have far more marketability than they do driving talent. Danica has proven that, if she's proven anything.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A female. It will give this sport the media attention it needs.

16.gif

Last edited:
No entirely true. In 1978 Janet Guthrie put a car in the show, her second year, that was a 4 wheeled rolling Rube Goldberg monster. It was literately put together out of spares in an 11th hour effort. She drove with a broken wrist, taped up and refused further treatment or pain meds so she could drive. She finished 9th in a race that saw the closest finish among the top 10 drivers in the history of the race even to this day.

This was the first year that a car, Tom Sneva driving, qualified with all 4 laps over 200mph. The cars were becoming really fast and very difficult to drive. During the entire race Guthrie never put a wheel wrong and even though she was not among the fastest on the straights not one driver ever out maneuvered her or was able to block here and cause her to lose momentum.

Her pit crew had never worked together before the actual day of the race and they had to borrow tools from other teams.

If she would have had a better car and support she might have done a lot better. One official figured that if just her pit times were equal to those of the winner, Al Unser Sr that she would have placed third or fourth. He said that with equal equipment and speed there would have been a chance to do even better, that she was driving a car that Unser would not have driven onto the track.

The act of putting her in the show might have been a publicity effort but her driving was not. Off the record other drivers admitted that she was the real deal.

And maybe because of the good ole boys network we'll never know what could have been. To compare Danica Patrick to Janet Guthrie is a terrible insult to Guthrie.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

.................If she would have had a better car and support she might have done a lot better.

The act of putting her in the show might have been a publicity effort but her driving was not. Off the record other drivers admitted that she was the real deal.

And maybe because of the good ole boys network we'll never know what could have been. To compare Danica Patrick to Janet Guthrie is a terrible insult to Guthrie.

+1

The fact is most all women in motorsports other than drag racing, thus far have been a joke, and little more. You can take that assessment as chauvinistic, but it's fact none the less. If a woman existed that could even come close to a mans level in motorsports, you would have seen it by now.

It's why women don't play with men in professional tennis or golf. They would never be able to return a serve, or hit as far. It's why they call them "Ladies Tee's". Back in the 70's the top women professional tennis players were crying they weren't getting the same money as the top men. John McEnroe said, "If they want the same money, let them play the same draw". Billy Jean King in her prime had all she could do to beat that broken down old man Bobby Riggs in "The Battle Of The Sexes". What battle? Why didn't she play the top male pro? Because he would have wiped up the court with her.

He (McEnroe), offered to put a million dollars in a suitcase, and meet any woman player on any tennis court anywhere in the world, if she would do the same. The winner took home both suitcases. He had no takers. Motorsports are much the same. All talk and show, and no go.

I really want to see Charlie Kimball win, been a fan of his for years. I think the winner will either be a Penske or Ganassi car. However the real all-stars are the Holmatro Safety Crew, the Mayor of Hinchtown owes his life to them.

I agree she had some talent, she was tough when she raced NASCAR she tolerated much harassment I remember some of NASCARS most respected stars were mean to her. One time she relief drove for a sick driver when her car fell out of the race, she turned faster lap times and started moving through the field that driver got so mad he lied and said he was feeling better and got back in the car on a pit stop.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What race?

LOL..... It's in the title you clicked on.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back