Wix 57356 vs 51358

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need an oversized filter for the Nissan VQ35 applications.

Wix is calling for the 51358, but I understand that the Honda-sized filters is usually the upsize option. I believe that Wix's part number for this is 57356.

Can anyone confirm that the 57356 will work in a Nissan 3.5L application?

Thanks

I haven't tried it personally (though it's run through my mind thanks to the silicone ADBV and undoubtedly lower price thanks to my supplier's weird price list
wink.gif
), I'm almost certain it fits. The length won't be a problem and the other dimensions are all exactly the same. Additionally, on the Wix site, the 37356 is specified for many Infiniti applications.

When the 51365 was specified for my G37, the 51356 oversized was cheaper. The 51358 is the most expensive of those three. Then, the LF113 is more money than the oversized LF240 from Hastings. I can't win.
wink.gif

The Honda size is the upsize?

I use the Wix 57356, and I find it small but a reasonable size.

Well made filter, you can see the orange silicone ADBV through the inlet holes and even pleats through the outlet (center) hole.

Clean the tapping plate threads with a piece of paper towel before install, usually turns up a good amount of metal flakes that would be on the unfiltered side after install.

While I can't see 'the specific' VQ35 application queried here I can say based on personal Nissan and Infiniti oil filter application experience, and general Nissan oil filter information posted on this board since joining that I'm 99.9% sure the Wix/Napa Gold 5/7356 will easily fit and work fine.

Nissan and Infiniti as general rule spec the shorty 51358 in Wix, (6607Fr/14612Pu) where the longer but same diameter 57356/7317/14610 used on Hondas and others will easily fit. In the case of the Wix example it's 4" difference. Also the spec'd Wix/NG 5/1358 appears to use a nitrile adbv. If I'm paying for Wix/Napa Gold I want a silicone adbv used in majority Wix/NG. The 57356 uses silicone.

As an aside, son ran the 7317/14610 size in his VQ37 Infiniti G37 also specing the shorty filter application.

If it fits on the V6, I'd run the Honda s2000 filtech on my Rogue 2.5L; This got rid of random engine mechanical knocking and startup "bearing" like racket this past winter. Youll still have a second of TC tensioner pump-up racket regardless.
Honda and Nissan and Subaru use the "same" filter 9 some bypass ratings differ. I like the OEM service p-ring gaskets better to avoid oil weeping around the filter mount. Stay FAR away from the tiny, undoubtedly undersized Nissan china or mexico GONHER filters.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Stay FAR away from the tiny, undoubtedly undersized Nissan china or mexico GONHER filters.

I've used the little Nissan Gonher filters for my VQ35DE and they looked just fine. What interest would an OEM have in spec'ing an undersize filter that is used for virtually their whole line?

Don't tell me it's due to a cost savings conspiracy, that won't fly. I suspect the reason for use of a small filter is based on substantial research by engine designers and tribologists.

True. Modern, reasonably well maintained engines just dont need large filters. The engine oil doesn't get that dirty. Most filters are probably 5 to 10 times larger than they actually need to be.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Stay FAR away from the tiny, undoubtedly undersized Nissan china or mexico GONHER filters.

I've used the little Nissan Gonher filters for my VQ35DE and they looked just fine. What interest would an OEM have in spec'ing an undersize filter that is used for virtually their whole line?

Don't tell me it's due to a cost savings conspiracy, that won't fly. I suspect the reason for use of a small filter is based on substantial research by engine designers and tribologists.
With all the customer complaints about winter engine noise and knocking on Nissan boards - which ALL GOES AWAY with a different somewhat larger filter in MY uses this spec was a mistake. There is such a thing as TOO SMALL. This is a hamster sized filter that fits well within the palm of your hand. Ruined my New Versa Note 2014 engine the first cold run. 14 Rogue was clanking in sub zero starts and warmup - went to the big Honda filter and all was well. Proof is in the pudding.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

With all the customer complaints about winter engine noise and knocking on Nissan boards - which ALL GOES AWAY with a different somewhat larger filter in MY uses this spec was a mistake. There is such a thing as TOO SMALL. This is a hamster sized filter that fits well within the palm of your hand. Ruined my New Versa Note 2014 engine the first cold run. 14 Rogue was clanking in sub zero starts and warmup - went to the big Honda filter and all was well. Proof is in the pudding.

No disrespect to your observations, however...I very much doubt Nissan's issue with engine knock on some (very small %) of their VQ35DE's would be completely solved by a larger oil filter, if that were the case Nissan would not pay out for long block and short block warranty replacement repairs for these engines.

With modern engines, using the new oils, and adquate air filtering the small oil filter is well supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back