Protein Shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chug a few raw eggs like Rocky did. Maybe skip a few yolks or just have some liquid egg whites. Maybe add some oysters and use a blender.

I am 69 and probably in the top couple percent for my age as far as fitness goes. Unfortunately it gets difficult to impossible to get beyond a certain point. When you are totally out of shape that's a different story..you can dramatically improve..with time and effort.
You are at the point that its very very difficult. Sounds like you are in pretty good condition. More protein might help. You can easily do 1/2 gm. per pound body mass.

I recommend egg whites and low fat milk say 50/50. Say for 12 oz, 1.5 packs of splenda, a pinch of cinnamon. and half teaspoon vanilla.

Maybe for breakfast..a jumbo egg and 60 grans of eggwhite. Eggwhites are about $4.25 for 36 oz.

Also peanut butter, raisins, spread on an apple. Get the "Natural" PB. Mix it up thoroughly and put it in the frige. It won't separate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I buy Body Fortress whey protein powder from Walmart. It's only $15 for a 32 ounce container. 60 grams of protein per serving and zero sugars. Mixes in milk perfectly,leaving no residue on the bottom of the glass,not gritty,and tastes great. I always get vanilla flavor.

I swear by this brand,give it a try.

Garbage in,garbage out. Most of these over-the-counter products you get @ walmart have nothing but cheap protein mixed with "fillers".If thats what you want,then go for it!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/south12.htm

Read up on what to look for.

My main theory on why people "get out of shape" as they get older is simple. When you're young,you're constantly active,aren't stressed,worried,overworked to make ends meet,etc. Once you get older,things change....you have to work long hours (lots of sitting,standing,less mobile,etc),the stresses of everyday adult life (holding a job,responsibilities,paying bills,raising a family,etc) can take a toll on your body.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My main theory on why people "get out of shape" as they get older is simple.

Well its a good thought but the fact is that the body metabolism and the body physiology is just going down hill. Ity has nothing to do with how active you are. It is true that if you are inactive, increasing activity gets you to a certain level.

You just can't beat Father Time and entropy

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/athletes-peak-age/

Speaking of performance enhancing snacks, I had a Go Raw Spirulina Energy Bar a few days sgo. It had a unique taste and texture. I've been expecting to wake up angry, green and very muscular for the past few days.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Chug a few raw eggs like Rocky did. Maybe skip a few yolks or just have some liquid egg whites. Maybe add some oysters and use a blender.

Salmonella
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie

Salmonella
grin.gif

We all should eat more salmonella. Wild-caught and chockful with Omega-3 goodness!

Originally Posted By: Stewie

Salmonella
grin.gif

We all should eat more salmonella. Wild-caught and chockful with Omega-3 goodness!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the best out there? 25 years ago I didn't need any supplements to build muscle; putting on muscle back then was easy. Heck, I could put on muscle just by eating cheese burgers and french fries. Fast forward to today, it's a whole different ball game. I don't know if it's a reduction in natural testosterone level or what, all I know is it's struggle.

I try to do 60 situps and 10 pushups a day. While the situps are getting easier, the pushups are not. 25 years ago, if I wanted to, I could do 10 pushups on Sunday, 15 push ups on Monday, 20 pushups on Tuesday, 25 pushups on Wednesday, 30 pushups on Thursday, 35 pushups on Friday, and 40 pushups on Saturday.

Now if we go back even further, say 35 years ago when I was in basic training, I was doing at least 200 pushups a day. The more trouble you got in, the more pushups you'd do. I got in alotta trouble back then. My ears are still ringing from all the yelling directed at me.
grin2.gif

Lower levels of testosterone, thyroid function-slower metabolism, reduced intestinal absorption of nutrients, insulin resistance, reduced heart function/capacity, reduced lung efficiency, and many other factors contribute to lower levels of performance as we age.

There are things that can help. I can relate my experience and it may not apply to you.

I have no thyroid, and near zero testosterone. Plus my heart function is reduced, all due to a virus. Also, I don't absorb B vitamins any longer, so I must use Methylcobalimin and other B vitamins in high sub-lingual doses. As expected, my athletic performance is pathetic. In fact, on the Bruce treadmill test, I did not meet the FAA's minimum requirements for a 70 year old when I was in my mid 40's. Pathetic.

The doc has me taking thyroid hormones, testosterone injections (modest levels, about 450 max) , lifting weights and using protein shakes. Whey protein isolate and concentrate. It works. Especially if I drink a shake prior to the gym. I've doubled my strength and I feel much like my old self. And, I can perform my very physical job, which requires lifting. I've also been able to retain my FAA medical. But, due to heart function and age, I'm limited to about 12 pushups per set / 3 sets. But, hey that's way better than none.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the best out there? 25 years ago I didn't need any supplements to build muscle; putting on muscle back then was easy. Heck, I could put on muscle just by eating cheese burgers and french fries. Fast forward to today, it's a whole different ball game. I don't know if it's a reduction in natural testosterone level or what, all I know is it's struggle.

I try to do 60 situps and 10 pushups a day.

If you're able to do only 10 pushups a day, then no amount of protein will help increase that. It's not until you get into the 100's of pushups that additional protein will do much good.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

If you're able to do only 10 pushups a day, then no amount of protein will help increase that. It's not until you get into the 100's of pushups that additional protein will do much good.

Oh, I don't think that's so.

I can do about 3 sets of 12 pushups. Protein shakes absolutely help. I lose muscle without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back