Pikes Peak and Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the other thread got a little contentious. Hopefully this one stays civil.

Victory has teamed up with Roland Sands and Cycle World to race Pikes Peak. Here's a video and small story.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/05/21/pro...n-engine-video/

As I said in the other thread, I think we're going to see some incredible things from Polaris brands. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sport bike or ADV bike come from this project.

I can understand being excited and believing in a company, Im really just talking, like we are having a beer in a bar...

First, Polaris does make some REALLY nice products, I was in love with the Victory CrossRoads but here is my problem with them.
1. Almost bought a CrossRoads a couple years back, loved the bike, glad I didnt, resale in the toilet, why, they did away with the CrossRoads, made it a 8ball Crossroads, dealers were dumping the CrossRoads at stupid low prices, I would have been [censored].

2. Polaris has a history, my feelings of a history of doing things like that, they are a CORPORATION, that wheels, deals, trades, dumps whatever division they can and can not make money on. Again, its just the way I feel.

Motorcycles are just a division, not like some other motorcycle companies dedicated to a product.
If I buy a Polaris bike, will they dump the model or lineup down the road or not? That is what bothers me. They have a long history, anyone can do their own research, they make a lot of products and have dumped whole divisions, like their water sports division just a couple years back, not to great feeling if you bought one of their expensive water products.

Anyway, just my feelings and if anyone truly researches their history, I think they may feel the same before shelling out big money for a bike they want to take pride in. Another example, I might feel upset if I owned a Cross Country, it used to be Polaris top of the line bike, now its second place to Indian brand name. .. ya da ya da... Indian Bike, seems like a grand slam if you like the looks, why didnt they improve the quality of the Victory bikes to the same as the Indian? They made the Victory line up the "economy looking brand" when it used to be the premium brand.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend and truly give thanks and thoughts to the people in our military and those who have been injured and most of all lost their lives.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but what chassis are they using? Is it production based?

Isn't Ducati current "king of the hill" at pikes peak?

Polaris is doing some interesting things, and appears to be upping their game substantially.

Competition in the market place is good for everyone, regardless of which bike they ultimately choose.

WOW, first an electric race bike, now a pikes peak hillclimb dirt bike. Whats next a the fastest bike that can run under water?. Do they even have an idea about what they're trying to do? I'd buy one , but I'm gonna wait until they come out with a flying bike.,,,

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

If I buy a Polaris bike, will they dump the model or lineup down the road or not? That is what bothers me.

What did you end up buying?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Maybe I missed it, but what chassis are they using? Is it production based?

Isn't Ducati current "king of the hill" at pikes peak?

Polaris is doing some interesting things, and appears to be upping their game substantially.

Competition in the market place is good for everyone, regardless of which bike they ultimately choose.

The chassis is a Roland Sands design.

The Multistrada is the bike to beat. Don Canet of CycleWorld raced one and did a great article on them. Don will be riding the Victory.

Competition is good, and I'm excited to see an American company getting involved. My dream is to see Harley and Victory on a track with the best from Japan and Europe.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
WOW, first an electric race bike, now a pikes peak hillclimb dirt bike. Whats next a the fastest bike that can run under water?. Do they even have an idea about what they're trying to do? I'd buy one , but I'm gonna wait until they come out with a flying bike.,,,

Its just a reflex, isn't it?

From what I have read, as a former Victory owner, Vic will be the performance brand within Polaris motorcycle divisions. It seems they are backing this up with investment cash from their profitable powersports divisions. Good for them, I wish them the best. Competition is good, it forces the others to up their games. I expect Vic will be making some product lineup changes soon, which are very much needed to survive. These types of changes don't happen over night. I expect that that engine will show up in one form or another in production victory bikes. They have learned a lot from their experience thus far.

Originally Posted By: whip
alarmguy said:
If I buy a Polaris bike, will they dump the model or lineup down the road or not? That is what bothers me.

What did you end up buying? (quote)

I ended up with a 14 Road King. Came from a vstar 1300 and before that a Suzuki c50.
I appreciate, handling, fit and finish, I know to some it does matter but the Road King is awesome in that department, and it should be at the price. Now I can only hope it is a trouble free as the metrics I owned and sort of why I went for the RK at this time being it was the new Rushmore bike.
I also bought a year or two sooner then I thought I would, was on vacation in another state (TN), walked into a HD dealer and was like wow, last day of vacation left my old bike up there and rode home on the new RK. It doesnt hurt that my wife absolutely loves the bike as well as comfortable on it.

Last edited:
So apparently this engine is Scout based.

I can't see an effort to beat Ducati as cheap, Ducati is not likely to take it laying down either, in order to justify that sort investment, one would think there must be a payoff in the form of some tie to a production model (IE Ducatis "Pikes Peak").

As many have already predicted with Indians foothold pretty clear, I think we see a more clear delineation in the divisions and probably a thinning of the Victory cruiser line in favor of something else... What exactly that something else includes remains to be seen.

Too, I see alarmguy's point, Polaris has a sort of legacy to overcome. I remember when they would stick an ATV dealership in any place that would have it, tire store or whatever. Parts for a family members older polaris are proving impossible to get and the dealer clearly does not want to work on it and says they do not have the needed tools.

The Indian bikes in particular are very good, though I've not ridden the Victories. I've made it no secret that I think about all that Indian needs is a touch more into the details (switchgear, instrumentation, other small parts) and a bike in between the Scout and Chief.

Anyone that is saying that Indian (AKA Polaris, Victory) (or HD for that matter) isn't building nice stuff in quality and performance for intended use just isn't being honest.

Anyway, back to the engine, it is purported to be Scout based, but the head and cylinder castings look totally different... again seems too extreme for a one off...

If anything it looks like they have to beat Kawasaki, to be the top dog at pikes peak. They put an almost 3 second spanking on Ducati. I'm sure that if they plan on putting a real effort into this bike , they are gonna have a bunch of prototype motors to experiment with. Some just to blow up to see how far they can take it. And a few frames to test, and to have to modify or in case they wreck one they don't have to start from square one.I hope they're not banking on that a win at pikes peak would instantly begin a sales bonanza. While that's an old venue, in today's racing world it pretty much goes unnoticed. As compared to all the other more popularized races. Dirt track racing has more popularity, so is that what victory is gonna try next?.,,

Race on Sunday...Sell on Monday. Worked for the big three in the 60's.

To me Indian is the retro styled premium cruiser line for Polaris, while Victory is the more contemporary styled brand.

As for resale and all that...I never got it. Buy what you like and ride it till its worn out. That is what I do. If the brand has poor resale, then just get a one or two year old one with low miles. I would sure love to add a Hammer to the stable sometime along with a Harley VRSC.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
It's just too easy.,,

Of course reflex actions are easy. Mindless even.
Don't be so hard on yourself.,,

You came up with a rubber/glue retort? I underestimated your intellect. If no one helped you, that is.

I figured it was only 50/50 you would even realize it was an insult.

Drag Racing (I know, there isn't a Victory part on it), now Pikes Peak, who knows what's next. Falls in line with them wanting to place themselves as a performance brand. Lets hope they put this much effort ($$) into the next generation of street bikes.

Can't just have a thread about (brand)'s racing program, we've gotta make sure HD gets mentioned, eh?

FFS

On topic note: I'd like to see EBR get involved with Victory Racing. I know he's trying to do his own thing, but I don't think the company will sell very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back