PS fluid for '98 blazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OM says to use "approved" fluid. Basically any fluid on the market has the GM 9985010 spec, buuuut the stuff in my brothers truck appears dark red.

Either the PO didn't change the fluid, used ATF instead or?

GM has always used "power steering fluid",Ford was the only one to use Type F/Dex/Mercon V.2001-up Chryslers use ATF+4

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Can both be used in this system?

Yes, PSF & ATF work well together.

I would go with ATF simply because I always have some around. I've have used ATF and PSF interchangeably in many different vehicles. No real difference in a steering box. It is a fairly low impact system for a hydraulic fluid. No data, this is just my experience gained in 50 yrs of car fixing

Last edited:
I switched my Buick from Prestone power steering fluid over to DexronVI mixed with Maxlife atf. It really didn't make much of a difference other than it seemed to make more noise when I first starting mixing them but eventually went back to normal after many more turkey baster suck and fills.

dlundblad said:
The OM says to use "approved" fluid./quote]

Don't believe the OM. That's just a corporate conspiracy to make your vehicle wear out sooner. Those GM engineers, with their thick glasses, white lab coats and college degrees - what do they know? ATF is magic. Put it in coolant to lubricate the water pump. Put it in the gas to clean the spark plugs. Put it in the motor oil to lubricate the valves. It also makes a great barbeque sauce. But don't put it in your transmission. It's not thick enough. 20w-50 racing oil for your electronic 6-speed tranny. Yeah, that's the ticket.

If it were a newer vehicle...I would suggest using what the Manufacture calls for... which is PSF. But since it's a 1998 vehicle... use either one if the PS system is original.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
dlundblad said:
The OM says to use "approved" fluid./quote]

Don't believe the OM. That's just a corporate conspiracy to make your vehicle wear out sooner. Those GM engineers, with their thick glasses, white lab coats and college degrees - what do they know? ATF is magic. Put it in coolant to lubricate the water pump. Put it in the gas to clean the spark plugs. Put it in the motor oil to lubricate the valves. It also makes a great barbeque sauce. But don't put it in your transmission. It's not thick enough. 20w-50 racing oil for your electronic 6-speed tranny. Yeah, that's the ticket.

All the OM says is to use approved fluid. What is this fluid exacly? PSF or ATF? (That was my question in case you missed it. )

The odds are you will be more able to find a high quality ATF than you will a high quality PSF with similar performance specs. M1 ATF is a great OTS product that I've used in PS applications (admittedly, primarily Ford, which call for ATF) with great success for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles.

In 1998, ALL Japanese makers were using Dex III as PS fluid - same as - guess what, GM.

Mobil 1 synth MV, Mag1 synth MV - both excellent for this if you want synth. and longevity. Or just dex III. Don't be overthinking (or over-posting) about this.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
tightwad said:
dlundblad said:
The OM says to use "approved" fluid.

All the OM says is to use approved fluid. What is this fluid exacly? PSF or ATF? (That was my question in case you missed it. )

smile.gif

Then, go to any GM dealer and pick up some approved P/S fluid. Most auto parts stores carry approved GM P/S fluid(Prestone, Valvoline, etc.)

What others are saying is that, P/S fluid & ATF are essentially the same fluid!

Some P/S fluids such as Honda Genuine P/S fluid has proprietary additives and is also a synthetic but, is essentially a an ATF as well. I have used Honda P/S fluid in many-a-GM P/S u nits with great success

Last edited:
In addition, most(not all) P/S systems aren't too fussy about their P/S fluid.
As long as you're adding a P/S fluid...or ATF!

Though, this ^^^ may seem a bit confusing!
frown.gif

Also, ATF is dyed RED but, is a clear/yellow-ish fluid just like power steering fluid when it starts out!

Last edited:
You should use the approved fluid, I already gave the part number. If you do not use the approved fluid it is possible that there could be material compatibility issues with seals or hoses.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
You should use the approved fluid, I already gave the part number. If you do not use the approved fluid it is possible that there could be material compatibility issues with seals or hoses.

Makes sense to me, even though I did put ATF in the power steering of my '65 Chevy 45 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back