Cobalt vs Cruze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on the G5.

I was wondering if the sheet metal was different enough on the G5 that it didn't have the tiny trunk opening??

IIRC I found it hard to put a regular beer cooler in the trunk when going to the beach.

The trunk opening was absolutely horrible.

Don't know budget. Originally I wanted to get out of my current beater on the cheap, but am finding that unrealistic. So, start shopping now, learn what new cars are like. If i find something that magically hits the needs, great; otherwise, all the more data for later.

Cobalt ought to be cheap to buy, cheap to repair, reasonable to run, so I could do that today, passing off my Jetta for a better "beater". A few grand tops. Cruze, that idea was just to see what the next step up was, maybe do that in a few years.

I think now though I've convinced myself to spend the weekend instead sanding and painting my car. Nothing out there interests me.

The Cruze Eco manual gets pretty darned good fuel economy without trying. I've averaged about 41 mpg over 109k miles in a lot of rural and suburban driving. This car can return some impressive fuel economy in the right hands and conditions. In 55-60 mph steady-state driving it'll easily get 45-48 mpg during the summer and about 40-45 mpg in the winter. It's also quiet, stable in the wind, and the base radio sounds just fine to my ears. A buzzy penalty box it is not. It'll also tow a small trailer reasonably loaded just fine.

The water pumps are hit or miss. Either it's good and will last about 75-80k miles, or it'll break quickly. GM did extend the warranty on my Cruze's water pump to 150k miles, so they are aware of the issue and at least hinting they'll take care of long-term owners. I haven't had to take mine back in since the last rounds of replacement pumps.

If you want something that is a bit more of a direct replacement for the Jetta, give the Cruze Eco manual a good hard look.

I concur Cruze is a quality compact more akin to a Jetta. Cobalt is more akin to buying a low dollar car like Versa, Tercel and the botttom dwellers on the market in terms of overall feel.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The Cruze Eco manual gets pretty darned good fuel economy without trying. I've averaged about 41 mpg over 109k miles in a lot of rural and suburban driving. This car can return some impressive fuel economy in the right hands and conditions. In 55-60 mph steady-state driving it'll easily get 45-48 mpg during the summer and about 40-45 mpg in the winter. It's also quiet, stable in the wind, and the base radio sounds just fine to my ears. A buzzy penalty box it is not. It'll also tow a small trailer reasonably loaded just fine.

The water pumps are hit or miss. Either it's good and will last about 75-80k miles, or it'll break quickly. GM did extend the warranty on my Cruze's water pump to 150k miles, so they are aware of the issue and at least hinting they'll take care of long-term owners. I haven't had to take mine back in since the last rounds of replacement pumps.

If you want something that is a bit more of a direct replacement for the Jetta, give the Cruze Eco manual a good hard look.

A couple of years ago I drove a Cruze Eco with a manual at a Chevrolet Ride/Drive at IMS the week before the 500. I was very impressed. A lot of car for the money.

I drove a rental 2015 Cruze LTZ RS ( I think), six speed auto, for a couple of hours last week, and I thought it was terrific - stylish, comfortable, rode well, steered well, and the 1.4 was not as gutless as I feared it would be. I could not tell when it went in and out of boost - seamless, or perhaps it's just always pressurizing ....

Only real criticism I could have is the electric power steering - it was lighter than I care for, particularly at a standstill.

Hate to think what it would cost though - this thing was loaded to the gills. Definitely not a penalty box.

I have a 2005 Cobalt with a stick and manual windows.

It's not a great car, but it's served my needs. Mine has 90K miles on it and I've had to replace a control arm, brakes twice, and the windshield wiper stalk, which a few years ago would only allow high speed on the wipers! I haven't experienced the noise that goes along with the timing chain tensioner issue, so I'm not going to worry about that right now.

My average MPG according to the fuelly is 33.9, with 56K miles tracked.

I picked up a used 2014 Cruze Turbo Diesel. I really like it. So far on my first tank I averaged 45.5mpg. That is a mix of city and hwy. I got it with only 13k miles on it and has everything but sunroof and nav. Being used I didn't think I would be able to get OnStar or XM for free, but the dealer said I got three months. So that is a plus. Used the OnStar directions for the first time and it is pretty cool and easy to follow.

The previous owners info was in the glovebox. So I called and asked why they traded. He said that it just didn't get used much. (it was purchased as a company car) so they traded it in. They had it for a little over a year and paid $30K for it new.

We also have a 1.4TD gas Cruze and the diesel is way faster than the 1.4. Love the low end torque.
smile.gif

Last edited:
No need precise numbers, but how much did you save buying an one year old car compare to new?
What % or $$ whatever you prefer?

OTOH, is a manual or an automatic?

Why did you chose a diesel since you have also a gas cruze?
Which of the two will be cheaper to own at the end? Did you do the math to know the crosspoint, if any between the two?

Sorry for all the questions lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back