Friend Bought a new FZ6R today

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my good friends has wanted to get a bike for a while now. He ended up purchasing a brand new FZ6R today for his first bike. I tried to convince him to get a cheap 250 to start off with and learn on, but im still glad he got a bike and it is what he wanted.

We live on the ohio river in Indiana and he bought the bike in Zulu Indiana close to Fort Wayne. I ended up riding the bike back home for him all 4 hours as he doesn't have an endorsement yet and didn't feel confident in Indianapolis traffic on a Friday night. It had 4 miles on it when we left the dealer and 249 when we arrived back at his house tonight. nothing like braking it in all in one trip

His bike is a 2014 and mine is a 2012. Noticeable differences are the gauge cluster as well as the graphics. His 2014 has an updated white illuminated tach and the graphics are a great improvement over my 2012. the 14 also has dunlop tires where my 12 has bridgestones. The dunlops seem to ride harsher and track different than my bridgestones, but not in a bad way. they seemed to do well. It was a pleasure to ride back, it felt just like home.

Even though it's not an R6 make sure your friend starts out easy with his new first bike.

That bike is as fast or faster than many of the fastest bikes available in the 50's and early 60's regardless of engine size. The main difference is that it handles like no bike of that era including racing bikes ever could and it has brakes that those riders of long ago would have never believed were possible. It also has electrics that work and will not mark its territory with an oil slick.

Just remember to do what I did a long time ago. Register with the organ donor program, just in case. Mandatory helmet laws and improved clothing and foot ware have really hurt the program so we have to make sure more riders sign up to offset the losses in donors so us sport riders can keep up with the outlaw riders.

By the way, great bike. With a fork kit and an Ohlin rear spring and shock there's not much more to do other than braided brake lines and upgraded pads and maybe an exhaust system. For the street the motor is just fine, as is.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
the 14 also has dunlop tires where my 12 has bridgestones. The dunlops seem to ride harsher and track different than my bridgestones, but not in a bad way. they seemed to do well. It was a pleasure to ride back, it felt just like home.

Check the tire inflation pressure, and adjust to the spec in the owners manual if necessary. Then tell him to keep checking the tire pressure regularly. Ideally before every ride.

I've had several new bikes over the years that were delivered with overinflated tires. In some cases well beyond even the tires maximum PSI rating.

Zulu, R/T Sales,a predominant snowmobile dealer. Probably about 30 miles from my house in the Flat lands of Indiana. You're almost half way to your first oil Change, if Yami still recommends a 600 mi 1st service.

If your friend has not taken the MSF course, I'd recommend it. After riding for a number of years, I took it 10 years ago and still learned.

Where on the Ohio River do you live. I've taken a number of bike trips to the Ohio, I love southern Indiana. The roads are great!

Ride Safe

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Zulu, R/T Sales,a predominant snowmobile dealer. Probably about 30 miles from my house in the Flat lands of Indiana. You're almost half way to your first oil Change, if Yami still recommends a 600 mi 1st service.

If your friend has not taken the MSF course, I'd recommend it. After riding for a number of years, I took it 10 years ago and still learned.

Where on the Ohio River do you live. I've taken a number of bike trips to the Ohio, I love southern Indiana. The roads are great!

Ride Safe

I live in the Historic town of Madison, Indiana. RT sales was great to work with. My friend bought the bike for $2000 less than retail. I was impressed. Excellent service as well.

It was a long 4 hour ride back on the cool night we had last night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
Taking the MSF course is the best thing he could do.

Yes, he is going to sign up for the course. He went ahead and bought the bike because it was $2000 less than retail and its the one he really wanted.

He isnt a total stranger to two wheels, but he hasn't been riding his whole life like me. I told him this bike isn't extremely fast, but it is too much for a first timer so be really careful and take it easy while learning.

OneEyeJack, i totally agree. Iv'e owned my FZ6R for a couple years now and while it isn't as fast as an R6 it's nothing to scoff at.

It will do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds bone stock so it definitely has plenty of power for a sport cruiser.
FZ6R's are my favorite sport touring bike. They are inexspensive, Have Yamaha reliability, and they are much more refined and smooth than the ninja 650 or suzuki 650 in its class.

I rode the Kawi and suzuki back in 2011 when i was shopping and i just preferred the smooth linear sail of the FZ6R's Fuel injected 4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Madison is my absolute favorite destinations on the Ohio, what a beautiful town. Hwy 62 coming in from the east from Dillsboro is awesome.

It has been a beautiful place to grow up, sometimes I take it for granted. I enjoy riding in this area. One of my favorites is taking 56 along the Ohio from Madison to the Markland Dam and across the bridge into Kentucky and riding back along the Ohio on the Kentucky side. Hwy 36.

Often people from the flatlands of Indiana are surprised at how hilly Indiana gets below Columbus. Southern Indiana is quite hilly overall.

Very nice bike. It was in my short list when deciding for a new bike. Your friend should be glad to know somebody like you, as you are providing him with sound advice. Ride safe!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back