10k OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my vehicles and am coming up to my 10k OCI. I've always defaulted to Mobil 1 but honestly don't have any bias to any. I was doing some research and saw this that painted Mobil 1 in a bad light:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf
(four ball wear test)

This one showed better but is older:
http://www.synthetics.com/amsoil-and-mobil-1-comparison-tests.html

I know tests can be "tailored" or flat out unsubstantiated and wanted to get recommendations from you guys over recommended 10k/1year OCI capable synthetic oils. Cost and meeting recommended specs may be the final factors in the end. I'm looking at the 5w20 (or 0w20) & 5w30, north cal area, 5w20 for vehicle that drives highway and 5w30 for the one that is city/highway. Ordered preferences and reason would be nice. Thank you all in advanced.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Four ball wear test has nothing to do with internal combustion engines.

Exactly.

The truth of the matter is every company has a top tier product. These top tier products could be qualified as equal in their ability to control wear,sludge etc.
So Amsoil's best is very similar to mobils best which is comparable to pennzoil's best etc so if you are looking at long drain top tier lubricants buy whichever costs less because in the real world the differences aren't significant because of the specs the products are forced to meet.

So forget these stupid one armed bandit/4 ball test demos because they in no way represent how oil behaves in an internal combustion engine.

Thanks, I suspected that the test wouldn't help anything but add confusion to the comparison. So I'm basically up to finding the oils that can withstand 10-15k over 1 year without compromising protection. Mobile 1 extended isn't the cheapest, but most others don't put a mileage on their product. I've been looking at Valvoline SynPower as it is about $4 cheaper for total cost to change.

Originally Posted By: Trebuin
Thanks, I suspected that the test wouldn't help anything but add confusion to the comparison. So I'm basically up to finding the oils that can withstand 10-15k over 1 year without compromising protection. Mobile 1 extended isn't the cheapest, but most others don't put a mileage on their product. I've been looking at Valvoline SynPower as it is about $4 cheaper for total cost to change.

Mobil 1 is guaranteed for 10000 miles,the EP is 15000. Pennzoil ultra should be up to that mileage task as well.
10000 miles isn't the milestone it once was and pretty much every oil producer has a product that qualifies,just be sure to compare equal tiered products.
Like SSO is same tier as EP,ultra etc.
jmo

And a year is a piece of cake. Mileage/hours/fuel burned is what affects oil condition,not time.

Last edited:
The Falix test is very important when one is trying to determine which oil performs best in the Falix grease lubrication test. If you don't test, you'll never know. But, it has nothing to do with predicting performance in an internal combustion gasoline or diesel engine. Internal combustion engines don't have bearings that are installed sideways to the rotation of a shaft and they don't use a torque wrench or some kind of automated device to apply pressure on a bearing mounted sideways to the rotation of that shaft.

So, if you have one of these devices and want to know which oil or hair shampoo or laundry bleach works best then you must test, test, test. Then you will know. Just make sure that you don't use liquid that wins your comparison testing in your engine, especially if it was dandruff shampoo (zinc) or laundry bleach (cp's).

There is no doubt that Amsoil SS is a good product and maybe it is better than Mobil 1 (or maybe it isn't). But it doesn't mean Mobil 1 isn't a good product, in fact it is so good that just about every one of its competitors advertises that their product beats it in some irrelevant test. When you're on top, every wants to take you down.

It also costs 1/2 of Amsoil SS and doesn't require a "membership" to get a reduced price (which is still quite a bit more than Mobil 1). For extended performance oil, I would say M1 EP, Edge EP, and PUP (not officially EP but the VOA's tell me it would do just fine) are tops on my list of what I'd use.

I was gonna say what Clevy said but he beat me to it.

The four ball wear test that Amsoil always references doesn't mean much for engine applications.

I've used M1, PU, and Amsoil for 10k+ OCIs, all three are great and will give you good service. The fact that your interval is 1 year is not a problem either. BTW, if you want to use Amsoil for 10k the XL line will do just fine at a lower cost than the Signature Series referenced in the study.

My owner's manual for my 2014 Mustang GT says I can go up to 10,000 miles on an oil change and they recommend Motorcraft 5W-20 blend or similar. The Motorcraft is not marketed as an extended mile oil and it's not a full synthetic. There are many oils out there these days that can go 10,000 miles. Just pick your favorite and go on.

Wayne

Valvoline Synpower, from what Ive gathered on this board isn't really an extended drain oil. thats just what i've seen from some UOAs and PQIA VOA of an 8.4 TBN. But I guess it really just depends on your driving habits.

Also if you have a Napa near you their house brand synthetic is pretty much rebranded synpower for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
To the OP, it depends on your vehicles, which you neglected to mentioned at all and how much are you extending over the manufacturer's recommended OCI.

For example if you're driving a modern honda and the MM is not clicking off until 10k miles, then any oil that exceeds the honda rec is already good enough to go 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back