This is what I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have one either. Why? We have TWO 2008 RAVs. The difference from 2015 model? 268HP V-6 in both. 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Not bad for two old farts with grocery getters, eh?

Yeah, you make a good point.
Who would want a vehicle that will provide 200K or so of reliable and reasonably economical transport when for less money, they could own some intersting old POS instead?
Many of us have gone through the intersting old POS phase and have progressed to the reliable and economical for 200K phase.
I'm not really a Rav fan, but we did buy a Forester and we've been happy with it.
Cars are all about transportation, not impressing the neighbor's young sons and many of us have grown past the age where every trip is an adventure and a tool kit isn't just nice to have along, it's required.
A toy is nice to have, but not as one's primary source of mobility.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I wouldn't have one either. Why? We have TWO 2008 RAVs. The difference from 2015 model? 268HP V-6 in both. 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Not bad for two old farts with grocery getters, eh?

My aunt has a previous gen with the V6 too. Those things are quick for what they are.

The current gen seems to have lost some of the "identity" the previous ones had. It has just gone generic CUV. The last RAV4 was still distinctly a RAV4 with the swing out rear door and all.

But it's also apparently selling better than ever, though I don't see the current models much here.

Well we're past the stage where 0-60 time means anything to us, and the primary driver wouldn't even look at a RAV with the barn door and spare tire out back. She's happy, I'm happy.

The Gen 3 V6 guys hate the new version, that probably doesn't happen very often when a model gets revised.

If I need to get pushed back in the seat I get the Duramax out and floor it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Before 1980 they were called station wagons

Yep that's what all of those kind've vehicles are,modern day station wagons. I just don't get where the term "SUV" came from,to sound less square and more hip maybe? Imo,a utility vehicle is a box truck or work truck.

Before there were SUVs, there were the Bronco, Scout, Blazer, Jeepster and Jeep Cherokee and Wagoneer. Those vehicles are the ancestors of the modern SUV and they were living happily side by side with wagons. Unlike a wagon, an SUV is built on a truck chassis. A RAV 4 is not built on a truck chassis and is really a crossover SUV, which is a vehicle based on a passenger car that approximates the appearance and form factor of an SUV.

I think it's funny when people look at a CUV or similar vehicle and call it a compromise. As if any other road-going vehicle isn't a compromise.

Every vehicle sold today represents an engineered compromise. A C7 Corvette is a heavily compromised car. A Zonda is a heavily compromised car. A 3/4 ton truck is a heavily compromised truck. A minivan is a heavily compromised vehicle. A ratted-out old Merc 560 is a heavily compromised vehicle.

If that engineered compromise appeals to you, great. If it doesn't, great. Move on with life.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Before 1980 they were called station wagons

Yep that's what all of those kind've vehicles are,modern day station wagons. I just don't get where the term "SUV" came from,to sound less square and more hip maybe? Imo,a utility vehicle is a box truck or work truck.

Before there were SUVs, there were the Bronco, Scout, Blazer, Jeepster and Jeep Cherokee and Wagoneer. Those vehicles are the ancestors of the modern SUV and they were living happily side by side with wagons. Unlike a wagon, an SUV is built on a truck chassis. A RAV 4 is not built on a truck chassis and is really a crossover SUV, which is a vehicle based on a passenger car that approximates the appearance and form factor of an SUV.

Those were actually heavy duty trucks though that you could actually take off road and use as a utility vehicle. Basically they were trucks with permanent camper shells attached. I couldn't imagine using a soccer mom mobile to perform tasks those vehicles were designed for,they'd either get stuck or fall apart.

The first soccer-mom downsized SUV that started it all ....

Jeep-Cherokee-XJ_BlogPost8.23.11.png

Every Explorer, Blazer (s10), Rav, CR-V, Escape ... owes its existence to the XJ Cherokee.

Not sure if that's good or bad, though.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The first soccer-mom downsized SUV that started it all ....

Jeep-Cherokee-XJ_BlogPost8.23.11.png

Every Explorer, Blazer (s10), Rav, CR-V, Escape ... owes its existence to the XJ Cherokee.

Not sure if that's good or bad, though.

It makes sense though in some situations to have a smaller footprint to make the vehicle even better off road.
I draw the line between extra expensive lifted wagon and SUV with the drivetrain. A user selectable 4wd and a two range transfer case makes it an off road vehicle. A ladder frame or unit body doesn't matter much to me atleast.

I just don't get it. Can somebody explain this thread to me?

What is the connection between disdain for a new RAV4 and an old Mercedes drifting?

I love our CUV. I would rather have it than a Mercedes. Oh wait, I do.

I personally don't get the draw of owning a pickup truck like you do(if I recall) either with [censored] MPG and likely empty bed carrying air around majority of time.

However it suits you just like the RAV4 suits your parents. So its not fair to put down folks choices.

Originally Posted By: Win
an old Mercedes drifting?

I thought (by the sound of the engine) it was an old Nissan Sentra,Stanza,240SX or 200SX :^) Sounds like a small 4banger with a screaming fartcan.

My friend has an older 4 cyl Rav4. Nice little vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Congratulations on what may be the most childish, immature post since GHT was banned.
well said

My sister has a 2008 RAV 4 and has experienced trouble/event free operation over 140k miles with on exception. Some power steering issue with binding she paid out of pocket that was latter compensated by Toyota.

It has a better AWD system (exluding Subaru) for CUV in that it has a software based locker to make it 4wd disabling traction control
Boring yes but some folks like that as she appreciates the low cost operation. They also have incredible resale if you tire early of it.

Originally Posted By: Win
an old Mercedes drifting?

I thought (by the sound of the engine) it was an old Nissan Sentra,Stanza,240SX or 200SX :^) Sounds like a small 4banger with a screaming fartcan.

It's the ubiquitous Toy 2JZGTE (from the ricer worship car, the MKIV Supra TT), hence OVERKILL's joke pic (which I STILL crack up from every time I see it, even after MANY years
thumbsup2.gif
).

One would have thought that hattaresguy would deem this engine transplant the ultimate sacrilege, given his extreme love of all that is of the three pointed star.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
FYI, RAV4 = Recreational Activity Vehicle 4wd

Maybe in '98, not so much now..

I call my 2012 V6 a Rapidly Accelerating Vehicle. Stupid power for such a small CUV. I like it!

One of my friends has a 2014 Rav4 with a 4 cyl . I have ridden it it is not as nice as his 1966 GTO but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back