Hundreds march at McDonald's HQ over low wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: eljefino

You increase the demand for services by increasing the money pool out there among those most likely to spend it.

Kind of like the Programs put in place to end the depression that didn't work??
Kinda like the programs which were ineffective. Then WWII broke out and MASSIVE orders for goods were placed by the Europeans fighting Hitler. WE went back to work.

A nice big war, preferably a global one, would really thin the herd and get business going. More of everything to go around for less people sounds ideal.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
You increase the value of labor by having the laborer add value by his/her labor.

The classic example is the doctor vs the burger flipper.

The doctor added value to his labor by going to medical school and learning a skill.

The burger flipper may have had a hour or a weeks worth of training before he was made the head fry cook.

The doctors labor is more valuable because the doctor worked to add more value to the labor he has to offer compared to the burger flipper.

The way you add value to your labor is by learning a skill or trade that is valued in the workforce.

If you can't or won't, your labor will not be as highly valued as that of another.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Win

You increase the value of labor by increasing the demand for it. It's not rocket science.

You increase the demand for services by increasing the money pool out there among those most likely to spend it.

But the burger flipper still has value, and everyone else along the line...unless you want cows grazing in your backyard.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well pay scale is market driven.. Just an hour to the northwest the pay is a good bit higher. But so is the cost of living. Like northern VA. $81,000 a year is really not much there. If CNAs make the SAME as RNs then let me ask you this.. Does that remotely makes sense? Do you want CNAs to attempt to do all the same work without ANY of the training or education ??
Now like I said. I would like to see them make more money. The good ones deserve a fair amount more.

I work in healthcare and CNA are underpaid and not given the credit / respect they deserve.

No one claims the burger flippers labor has no value. We are not speaking of the value of an individual, we are speaking of the value of any labor. If flipping burgers was worth $15/hr, they would already be paid that much. The market has alredy priced the job, and it's not $15/hr.

I wonder if the protesters realize they are effectively trying to destroy their own jobs. Because if they get their way, their jobs will become automated and many of them will be laid off. There will also be increased competition because workers who make $12 in other fields will suddenly want the McDonalds job.

So, protesters: Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

So, protesters: Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it.

They are like lemmings stampeeding over a cliff...but the lead Rats predictively didn't go over the cliff..lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED

A nice big war, preferably a global one, would really thin the herd and get business going. More of everything to go around for less people sounds ideal.

Ya know, i actually worry that china might feel that way , or at least some of the leaders. I'm suprised they have not invaded Taiwan while we are busy in Iraq , Iran, and Afghanistan.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
There will also be increased competition because workers who make $12 in other fields will suddenly want the McDonalds job.

A rising tide, something, something, all boats.

The $12/ hr job is presently "$5 over min" or "60% over min" and while it won't go up "all the way" it'll still be a premium over minimum, same as the experienced burger flipper vs the rookie.

There'll be benefits to employers, like less turnover.

I have been wanting to post this video.

A young man, starting his first day of work at a job that (they claim) will see him through to retirement.

How things have changed.

The fact is, what jobs do we need humans for?

In 10 years time i can see Pilot less Air liners and driverless delivery trucks. Salespeople will go the way of the Travel Agent. Skilled trades now require less manpower than they did 10-20-30 years ago. We automate everything we can.
who can put their hand on their heart an say that Their job is not in jeopardy?

Sorry, video does not seem to want to embed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I work in healthcare and CNA are underpaid and not given the credit / respect they deserve.

I agree. Years ago an ex gf of mine was one and I was making more money than her working at a music/cd store :^P

Any raise in the minimum wage means that the government is combining wages for labor with welfare. That's okay from the point of view of the politicians because the middle class well is not quite dry, yet.

But worry not. With the exploding population of illegals, the growing welfare culture, a possible increase in minimum wages, the collapse of healthcare, the never ending war on terrorism and the crippling of industry with regulations without oversight, we're going to hit the bottom real soon.

Thatcher will be proven correct, again.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

But worry not. With the exploding population of illegals, the growing welfare culture, a possible increase in minimum wages, the collapse of healthcare, the never ending war on terrorism and the crippling of industry with regulations without oversight, we're going to hit the bottom real soon.

Yea we can't continue this way. Our debt going forward is realistically at least 60 or 70 Trillion. The thought is that 22 Trillion may be enough to upset the apple cart. And 20 Trillion may even be enough to tank the markets. Exciting times....

Originally Posted By: montero1
Hopefully, no drugstores get burned down...

Obligatory picture of Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake taking a selfie:
baltimore-mayor-selfie1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Yea we can't continue this way. Our debt going forward is realistically at least 60 or 70 Trillion. The thought is that 22 Trillion may be enough to upset the apple cart. And 20 Trillion may even be enough to tank the markets. Exciting times....
Do you think the majority of people in this country are aware of anything besides who is doing best on Hells kitchen?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Do you think the majority of people in this country are aware of anything besides who is doing best on Hells kitchen?

No I dont. Look at what network television has to offer.
smile.gif

I guess I dont have room to talk though. I frequent this one car forum quite often.

Entertainment is entertainment and I cant say my interests are better or worse than someone who watches TV. To each their own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

No I dont. Look at what network television has to offer.
smile.gif

I guess I dont have room to talk though. I frequent this one car forum quite often.

Entertainment is entertainment and I cant say my interests are better or worse than someone who watches TV. To each their own.
I am being sarcastic . I guess I probably should put it as how informed are most people . I don't think of myself as a very bright light on the string so to say but I try to stay as informed about the state of life and the state of the country etc, as my small mind allows.

I missed the point on that one. Lol

Being informed is relative nowadays too. People usually only refer to to 1 news source and/ or listen only to what they want to hear. Checking the news daily is a good habit to start if you don't already.

Al said:

I initially missed your sarcasm also..lol. You are 100% correct

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Instead of protesting how about they get a real job?

Uh they show up for work, have a boss, take [censored] from customers, and get a (meager) paycheck. It is a real job, I respect it, and I demand you do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back