Time to fess up ? what have YOU done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 16 or 17. Changed oil on my '65 Mustang and didn't fully close the hood. I went for a drive and the hood flew up at about the 2 mile mark.

6 months later I drove through some high water trying to get a date home. When I finally got home my transmission dumped all its fluid onto the garage floor. Parents took it to a shop and the guy said there was water in it. Parents asked me about it and I gave the obligatory "I dunno mom".

On a side note my favorite books at the time was "Improvised Munitions" by The US Army and the Anarchist Cookbook .

Last edited:
My first brake job before i knew what i was doing. the pads came with out clips. i fitted them in the calipers. The car braked fine, but the pads rattled constantly in the calipers when the brakes were not applied. especially over bumps.

Last edited:
I was mowing for my dad when I was about 9 and over heated the tractor. I freaked out and just turned it off. There it sat until I went back there with him to start it back up. I remember he had to add coolant, but to this day the tractor is fine nonetheless.

Tried closing the hood on an '88ish Corsica with the prop rod up, bent the hood in half.

Drove my parents AMC Eagle thru a 4.5' high snow bank with good speed at bottom of a driveway hill. The car ran funky and was sputtering and getting warmer. I opened hood and noticed the entire engine bay was filled with snow and had pushed all the fins in radiator out. Never told my parents but they woudered why the gauge was always running higher
smile.gif

Another fun memory of the Eagle was changing flat tire with dad on Eagle. We jacked the car to tippy top with those old school jacks with a lever from the side instead of bumper. We took wheel off but when put the spare on the entire car feel away from us onto its brake drum. My dad/i burst out laughing. Breaking after that was always unbalanced in slippery stuff as that one locked up easily!

That car was quite amazing and I understand the love for Jeeps. It went anywhere!

Im still a subscriber the theory that you must bleed while working on your car (shade tree myth) for the project to go smoothly and no follow up issues.. its sorta uncanny how true this little rule has been in my life of turning wrenches for hobby.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Tried closing the hood on an '88ish Corsica with the prop rod up, bent the hood in half.

Haha that's awesome!! Sounds like some kind've crazy [censored] that would happen to me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back