2 OCIs on NAPA Gold filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Recently bought 02 Xterra, 130K, slight leak either RMS or pan gasket. Trying some Maxlife and ATP-205 on my first fill to see if I can slow or stop it. Just hit 3K and going to change oil. Would I be OK leaving the NAPA Gold on for 2 OCIs? This 3.3L takes 3.5 qts with a filter so it seems 3K miles is equivalent to 5K miles on a 5 qt fill. I've never not changed a filter with an oil change....

I don't think your math works out right. To your filter it's 3k miles regardless of if you have a 3.5 quart oil capacity or a 6 quart capacity.

Go ahead and use it for two OCIs. To the filter it'll be like one 6k mile OCI. I'm currently coming up on 7k miles on my OCI with a NAPA Gold filter. I'm going to do a UOA after I change it, and I have no doubts the filter will have held up just fine.

OK, but the point was to leave the Gold on for 1 more run, not replace with a more expensive filter for the next 2 runs...

The 3.5 qt fill has me a little spooked, heck my Samurai 1.3L takes 4.5 qt.

(replying to slacktide)

Last edited:
If your goal is just (2) 3k OCI's, then a WIX/ Napa Gold will do just fine. Folks here have ran them 10-15k issue free.

No problem running that filter change interval. Try some liqui-moly motor oil saver for the oil leak. Unless the gasket is damaged or missing motor oil saver will cure it.

I have run Wix/Napa Gold for 10k and longer OCIs without any problems in my F-150 and my wife's Freestar. I wouldn't hesitate to run 2 OCIs on yours, especially with your shorter interval.

NAPA Golds are good for 10K.
I remove them after 5K, empty the contents, then reinstall it a 2nd time. I conserve our landfills and recycle centers the best I can.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
NAPA Golds are good for 10K.

Agreed, OP your use is not going to stress the filter at all.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Recently bought 02 Xterra, 130K, slight leak either RMS or pan gasket. Trying some Maxlife and ATP-205 on my first fill to see if I can slow or stop it. Just hit 3K and going to change oil. Would I be OK leaving the NAPA Gold on for 2 OCIs? This 3.3L takes 3.5 qts with a filter so it seems 3K miles is equivalent to 5K miles on a 5 qt fill. I've never not changed a filter with an oil change....

"One Filter, One OCI!"

^^^ Dude ...
grin2.gif
18.gif

I run most of my engines on one filter and two oci's not because i am saving a couple of dollars but i think it is better for the engines (less dry starts)

You must have been abducted by the 2 OCI aliens ... then escaped.
eek.gif

02.gif
50.gif

Two oil changes at 3k each is no probelem for a Gold. I do a single 6k oil change with a NAPA Silver and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back