Update: 2010 Jetta TDI 8429 miles, Amsoil 5W30 Eur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is my newest used oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. The iron did drop a bit so that was good news, so maybe it will keep trending down from here. I stayed with the Amsoil since I already had it on hand, but may change to something else on the next one. The first oil change was VW Castrol LL 5W30 bought from the dealer, the rest have been Amsoil. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

a little but ago read where all but signature series oils are NOT PAO base oils anymore, would not be surprised if only "some" PAO is used when necessary. note they don't scream PAO anymore!!! cheaper base oils = more profits. please correct me if not so.

Originally Posted By: benjy
a little but ago read where all but signature series oils are NOT PAO base oils anymore, would not be surprised if only "some" PAO is used when necessary. note they don't scream PAO anymore!!! cheaper base oils = more profits. please correct me if not so.

The MSDS for all weights of Signature Series show a 30% to 60% group III oil content. I'm sure some use the 30% group III and the rest PAO while others use 60% group III with the rest PAO. This is no different than what M1 does (and probably RP API oils). They still pack a wallop of an add pack. But of course M1 EP can be had for around $26 for 5 quarts (plus a $12 rebate right now) from multiple retailers including Amazon with free shipping. Signature Series is $45 a gallon (shipped), over twice as much per quart without even factoring the rebate.

Not true. Amsoil erroneously classified PAO on those MSDS's. They are working on new MSDS's right now. I know I have told you this and you keeping repeating your statements.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Not true. Amsoil erroneously classified PAO on those MSDS's. They are working on new MSDS's right now. I know I have told you this and you keeping repeating your statements.

I have nothing against any oil Pablo and certainly nothing against Amsoil. Great stuff but a fact in writing from a company is a fact until that company corrects it. I am sure you have to understand this, of all places, in a forum.
The only truth one can know is what is in print from a company. Bad mistake on Amsoil part.
(Just for the record I believe you*L*) But if I was a person dependent on the above statement, I would wait to see the correction by the company before I bought their product.

On my Jetta TDI (a PD engine) I had far, far better UOA results with Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Those engines are known for wearing out camshafts and mine did not wear out.

I suspect you would see similar improvements in overall wear with TDT.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
On my Jetta TDI (a PD engine) I had far, far better UOA results with Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Those engines are known for wearing out camshafts and mine did not wear out.

These current diesel engines run on low-SAPS oils. TDT does not qualify..

At how many miles did you inspect the cam/followers, etc.?

Mobil 1 TDT is a great oil by the way only to be surpassed by most likely Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and maybe Scheaffer S9000 5W-40 (moly boost).

Makes sense, the low SAPS are more for the emissions than for wear. Royal Purple Tech recommended their HPS 5w30 for the best wear protection and went on to explain that they didn't want to do SM requirements because they requires less wear protection. Here in TN we don't have inspection stickers so wear protection is my priority. I'm new to this UOA and technical properties info so would be nice if someone could compare them in a proactive way so we can see what is the best protection. I also have TDI PD engine and everyone on myturbodiesel.com says to just use oils with the VW 505.01 approval which Amsoil and Redline list they exceed, but could there be something better like the M1 TDT OR RP HPS?

Last edited:
Try M1 5W30 ESP. It is pretty thick for 5W30 at 12.21cst and HTHS of 3.58.
Also, has very good pour point of -45c, and flash of 254c.
Some state that NOACK is at 5.6%.

What is the TBN of this oil? It seems low for the mileage, my last UOA on the wife's TDI @ 16,961 was 3.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
What is the TBN of this oil? It seems low for the mileage, my last UOA on the wife's TDI @ 16,961 was 3.

Starting on this oil is 5.6.
BUT, this oil is made for new CR engines.

Oops! Totally missed that it was Euro spec, even tho it was plastered all over the title and report!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back