Question of the mechanic is brake job

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i went in to the mechanic today to get my brake pads,rotors,and one caliper replaced but i noticed he did not use any grease on any of the brake components when i looked at the brakes when i got home
frown.gif
Are my brakes gonna be fine without grease on the sliders etc cause i know your suppose to use that stuff?

Last edited:
You pulled the wheel and caliper pins to inspect them? Why didn't you do the brake job yourself?

i didnt pull anything off i looked at it with my eyes i can see the sliders, pads, etc there is no grease anywhere.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The grease is inside the bellows where you can't see it.
Yup, unless you've pulled apart the calipers then there's no way you can tell.

Do not put antiseaze on caliper pins, its not rated to take the heat, and there is a marginal quality of lubricity at best. Sylglide all around or a dedicated caliper and brake grease.

And you are not supposed to slop the stuff everywhere, that attracts dirt and causes binding, rather you are supposed to lube the pad sides and the slide pins. A light coating on the pad backs will prevent some noise if the pads are known to be noisy.

If you can see the shiny or rusty pad slides without baffles you have a different reason to be upset at the mechanic, but the grease should not be visable almost at all

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
Are my brakes gonna be fine without grease

What car are we talking about? A 1964 Zaporozhets?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
Are my brakes gonna be fine without grease

What car are we talking about? A 1964 Zaporozhets?

Lmao I had to look that up

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
SlyGlide on back of pads,
antiseize on caliper pins (smooth parts)...

Anti-seize will cause caliper pins to hang in real cold weather...Sylglide or SuperLube only

Sylglide on the slider pins. Antiseize on the THREADS of the caliper pins and caliper bracket bolts. In rust enviroments , antiseize on the rotor hat.

I've never heard of Sil-Glyde before !!!

I have been using Permatex Green on the slide pins ( 24110 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube ) and apparently it's the wrong stuff...

That's the risk you take when hiring a mechanic; they always take short cuts. One of the worst things they can do is not clean the bolt threads. I always cringe whenever I see a mechanic installing dirty bolts. You know he didn't bother cleaning the threads if the bolts are dirty.

The first thing I do when taking the car apart is drop all the nuts and bolts into a jar of carburetor cleaner. If the threads are rusty, I wire brush them. And I always re-oil the threads before installing the bolt.

My subaru doesn't have caliper pins, I feel left out of this convo.

however, for the OP, chances are you cant see it without pulling it apart.

If the shins are coated or are multi-layered, you can usually get away with not putting any grease on the back of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back