What is the technical difference PS fluids...Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda and a Subaru... one specs ONLY Honda PS fluid, the other takes ANY Dexron III equivalent...

Both systems are basic hydraulic assist power steering systems with similar vane rotor pumps, rack and pinions etc.

What is so different about the Honda PS system, and the fluid itself...?

In an auto tranny, friction characteristics of the fluid are important for smooth shifts and longevity... but a PS system is pure hydraulics...

Is it viscosity, or seal compatability, or just fear of the unknown...?

The seals are most affected!

Using the incorrect fluid could damage them resulting in serious leaks. You do not have to use Honda OEM fluid but you MUST use a brand name fluid that clearly states on the bottle
"for use ONLY in Honda/Acura ps systems."

I haven't seen the so-called seal issue, and consider it overblown internet hearsay.

Viscosity and additive packages are the differences.

Installed Lucas Oil PS Fluid for all vehicles including Honda 1,000 miles ago. No problems. Used a lil less than one bottle (14 of the 16 ounces) in a 2010 Civic. Used the turkey baster method and steering wheel from lock to lock (front wheels in air) both for extraction and fill up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I haven't seen the so-called seal issue, and consider it overblown internet hearsay.

Viscosity and additive packages are the differences.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Using the incorrect fluid could damage them resulting in serious leaks. You do not have to use Honda OEM fluid but you MUST use a brand name fluid that clearly states on the bottle

I once used the wrong P/S fluid in a Honda unit and lost steering return...had to bring the steering manually back to center after each turn!...This sucked!

After another D&F with the proper P/S fluid(I used Bardahl for Honda/Acura) and all was well in a couple of days.

The thing to bear in mind when dealing with PSFs (and I'm going to say this on some of the other similar threads too) is materials compatibility. In many cases the seals and hoses used in power steering systems are of different materials than those used in some other applications. The OEMs conduct their own testing to ensure that their recommended fluids are compatible with the materials that they are using. If you deviate from the recommended fluid you do not know whether there might be a compatibility issue or not.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

This.... is what I've read too.

Quote:

This.....is what I've followed. I've used Bardahl for H/A PSF first when it was the main Honda oem PSF option. Now using Prestone PSF for H/A on two Hondas. Both have worked fine, one an original 01 Civic pump with just occasional PS res d&fs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back