Oil Cap Creamy Looking Stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought our Sequoia used.. about 90k miles on it. When I did my first oil change, I noticed this on the oil cap. I clean it up, and it comes back at the next oil change. Is this normal? Or an issue?

Don't know if having an extended fill has anything to do with it? Most of my cars, you are pouring directly into the valve cover.

It's probably just condensation and I would say yes that extended filler would make it worse as that would cool down quicker than the engine making a good environment for condensation to form

Short trips in cold weather will do that, a bad head gasket can do that too. Odds are it is short trips, I would pressure test the cooling system to rule out the head gasket.

Yup caused from condensation. If its only like that on the Oil cap then go for a long decent drive on the highway it will be all better.

I have owned over 20 different kinds and brands of vehicles and this very thing only happened on one.
A 1988 S-10 w/ 2.8 V6. It had a coolant leak on the intake manifold gasket and it was getting into the oil. (Common problem on that engine in the late 80's)
Keep an eye on your coolant level just to be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
I have owned over 20 different kinds and brands of vehicles and this very thing only happened on one.
A 1988 S-10 w/ 2.8 V6. It had a coolant leak on the intake manifold gasket and it was getting into the oil. (Common problem on that engine in the late 80's)
Keep an eye on your coolant level just to be safe.

I had an intake manifold leak on my Mustang a couple of years ago and was lucky to catch it in time. The color of the oil looked like the photos posted by the OP; excess coolant was confirmed by UOA. Another indicator could be higher than expected reading on the dipstick.

Those extended filler necks are the pits. I had a 300 I6 ford with one, and there was FROZEN condensation under there in the winter, even with the engine @ full temp.

When I lived in Iowa, the *very* long filler neck on my Suburban had a very similar situation develop. Since leaving for warmer climates, it no longer has that gunk. I would say not to worry about it.

Probably due to short trip driving. However, I would check the PCV valve, its plumbing, the breather filter(if there is one), the breather plumbing and the thermostat. Verify the engine is reaching its proper operating temperature.Doubtful its a headgasket because you would see the crud on the dipstick.

I have the same 3UR-FE engine in my Tundra and it doesn't have a creamy oil cap but I also don't short trip it much so maybe there is something to it.

It's normal and caused by the humidity in the air mostly. Some comes from the combustion of gasoline.

Here's a picture of what I collect from my condensing catch can that is inline with the PCV valve.

The top layer is from the catch can on the PCV air make up side inline before my turbo inlet. When you go into boost it blows some oil mist out of the valve cover.

It's about 5k miles worth from summer driving.

Y8lqE7I.jpg

Does the oil on the dipstick have the same milky color? If it is, I would assume coolant in the oil. If not, condensation as mentioned.

If it was my vehicle, just purchased, I'd do a UOA just to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Its very common for those of us in colder climates. Nothing to worry about.

Ahhh gotcha! only 3 of my cars were in IL. The rest are in FL.

Yeah, that's definitely a symptom of short trips i.e an engine that's running too cool. You should look into getting a wireless scan tool, with that you can diagnose whether its the short trip, EGR, or thermostat theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back