Age of shingle vs. when NOT to make a hail claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Sounds like it's a safer bet to make a roof claim when a storm affects a significant part of a neighborhood and when the replacement cost is notably higher than the deductible. Perhaps even 6 times the deductible.

You still haven't said if you have RCV or ACV - it matters.

When someone buys insurance, the insurance company provides a policy, endorsements and schedule (or declarations page). They send the insured a copy.

The best thing to do is to read it and understand it. If you don't understand it set an appointment with your agent and don't leave until you do.

If you have a covered loss then the policy will come into play, since you understand your policy you will know if you want to turn in a claim or not.

It depends on who your insurance Co. is. A few years ago I talked to my Insurance Co. about fixing my roof for hail damage and since I don't have replacement cost on my roof anymore due to the age of it, they were going to pro-rate my roof and I was going to have to pay for most of it out of pocket. At some point I'm going to have to get my roof replaced and it's going to be all on my dime.

Wayne

A comment was made a few posts ago that you have to live in a floodplain to buy flood insurance. That is incorrect. You can live on top of a mountain and still obtain flood Insurance so long as your community participates in the program. In MN, if hazards are mapped, the community is mandated to participate by state law.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
A comment was made a few posts ago that you have to live in a floodplain to buy flood insurance. That is incorrect. You can live on top of a mountain and still obtain flood Insurance so long as your community participates in the program. In MN, if hazards are mapped, the community is mandated to participate by state law.

My point is though that you can not just go out and buy in in many cases. And for sure a while back in Pa. You had to live in a flood plain.

The other thing is that if your basement wall falls i n due to flooding it is not covered. Water pressure pushing in a wall is not flood damage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back