Update: Mobil1 HM reducing consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 03 Caravan uses no oil between oil changes. You're situation would drive me crazier. If i burned that much oil i would be buying conventional oil on sale.Maybe Mobil 5000 or whatever big name brand on sale at wally world.

Previously, I owned a 2005 Grand Caravan that I had purchased new. It used about 24 ounces in 1300 miles. I switched to synthetic (Pennz Plat) and consumption dropped to about a quart in 2500 miles.

My current van was purchased a year and a half ago with 64k miles on the odometer. It used 1 quart every 1000 miles like clockwork. There was no difference between brand of oil or weight of oil used. The Pennz Ultra reduced consumption slightly (one quart in about 1500 miles). I had tried an 0w/30 and that made matters even worse.

It has been only the High Mileage oil that has made a difference. And a drastic one at that. The Mobil1 HM is expensive when purchased by the individual quart. I will probably by a 5 qt container and just drain off a quart as needed for top-off oil.

I had heard that rings were installed upside down in Mexico and that was the problem. But I had heard that back in 2005 as well. I find it hard to believe that if that was the issue, it took four or five years to find and correct the problem.

I do believe that perhaps it is a seal issue, but that is just a guess.

2800 miles and down 3/4ths if a quart. I will top off with Mobil Super High Mileage one more time to see if there is a steady improvement. Next OCI, I will use Mobil1 Synthetic HM and top off with the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back