Oil filter interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you all change your oil filters on your riding mowers? Is it every oil change? Can they last for two years?

I ask because the tiny thing is WAY over priced at $9. Out of principle I don't want to pay that!

I changed mine annually when I had one. If you share the part number for that filter, I'll look up the equivalent (and cheaper) automotive variety.

I use car filters, and change the filter once a year at the first spring service. Ive gotten to the point I will let my grass grow a bit taller now and try to mow the yard every 10-14 days (I live out in the middle of nowhere) and use the #4 setting on my deck so when I mow its short.. that said it gets Rotella straight 30 and a Napa gold filter once a year.

Every 50 to 100 hrs.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
How often do you all change your oil filters on your riding mowers? Is it every oil change? Can they last for two years?

I ask because the tiny thing is WAY over priced at $9. Out of principle I don't want to pay that!

100 hours, which for me was about 2 summers. Pricey mother, that's for sure.

I use car filters which are in the $3 to $4 range and run them for two years (about 100 hours) on well maintained equipment. I'll dump the oil annually, but change the filter every other oil change.

Which filter? There will be a cross reference (cheaper) option that works just as good.

My Kohler engine with factory filter
old_kohler_filter.jpg

Same Kohler engine with Motorcraft filter after oil change
all_done.jpg

You definitely want to cross-reference the factory filter number to an approved or comparable filter. Don't just use a car filter just because it screws on. Ed

I change the oil in mine every 100 hours, as recommended in the Kawasaki manual. While i'm at it, I change the oil filter as well - even though the manual says 200 hours on it.

By changing both at the same time, it's an even 2-quarts. Couldn't be any simpler that way. lol

Originally Posted By: DSparks
find something cheap..no need for a high dollar filter...sleep good at night...

x2. Many of the "spec'd" filters are about the same price as OEM. Look at the gasket size and bypass rating and go from there.

I am using the Microgard 51334 on our Kubota G1800 right now. Less than $4 at Oreillys with a much larger filter capacity.

If the engine has a filter, I change it each time I change the oil. Why? The dirtiest oil is in the filter ... of course I want to change it ... and that's every year for most equipment or every other year for seldomly used equipment like generators, roto-tillers, etc ...

If anything, I would postpone changing both if I wanted to extend things for some reason.

Anyone have any theories how long filter media survives (and functions) while soaked with used engine oil? Anyone ever tear apart an old filter and find the media begin to disintegrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back